Contest Discussion

o0m463i1l5p31.jpg

Last edited:
wait oh my god its happening??? its actually happening???? whaaat the heeeellll, thisll be the first time im actually active in the community at the same time an OLDC is taking place lol
lets go boys lets go!!

I wasn't around for these contests before, so I'm looking forward to what everyone makes! Just to be sure, that's August 31st this year?

Awesome. A ton of levels from the old OLDC seem to have vanished, so I'm really hoping to see some cool stuff soon! Maybe I'll even dabbled in the level editor a bit.

I made some pretty successful Mario Maker levels. Is that any indication of success with this level editor? Lol

Awesome. A ton of levels from the old OLDC seem to have vanished, so I'm really hoping to see some cool stuff soon! Maybe I'll even dabbled in the level editor a bit.

I made some pretty successful Mario Maker levels. Is that any indication of success with this level editor? Lol

Get ready for a world of pain.

Not really. Mapping wouldn't be so popular if it were too difficult, but it requires you to think of 3D space in a pretty unintuitive way.

This picture is from an older version of SRB2, but it's a good and simple example:

TmDRn7m.gif

See that cactus there? Your experiences with normal reality would make you think that the cactus is a single object placed on the ground. That couldn't be further from the truth. In fact, the center stem of the cactus is the ground (raised up and retextured) and the branches are made from 4 floating platforms.

Each floating platform actually consists of two entirely different objects placed on the map. One deals with its shape and xy-coordinates, and the other its vertical size and position. The latter is placed outside the playable area and has no apparent connection with the former at all.

Have fun!

Last edited:
This is pretty pog ngl.

Heres some WIP stuff from my submission for those that are interested:

srb20271.png

The skybox merge is really nice
srb20205.gif

If i manage to finish this in time i might do something for the multiplayer division, but we'll see...

What's the thought process behind this?

It was meant to replace the rule in the "1-10" rating system, where if you voted on your own division, your lowest score would be dropped, since you cannot vote on your own map. That cannot be replicated well in the current system (dropping a 1-score with 28 entries is way less effective than dropping a 1-score with 3 entries), so this rule was put into place.

I wasn't around for these contests before, so I'm looking forward to what everyone makes! Just to be sure, that's August 31st this year?

Yep, August 31. The regular time limit is 3 months, but just for this period, it'll be 1.5 months instead, since the OLDC was revived smack dab in the middle of the season.

Wuh-hoh! I always saw the "Outdated Official Level Design Contest" boards at the bottom of the board list and wondered how it went down. Now I can observe it first hand. :D

Well, I know what I'm going to d-

Sees the 3MB file limit.

Checks the size of a certain Flat.

It's 4MB.

...Okay, I can't use that, then.

This isn't much, but it's a good start. I'll see how I can play with this aesthetic.
ChrysopoeiaStart.gif

I do have a question, Single Player entries only being allowed one level equates to only one map, right? In other words, level = map, rather than level = zone, right?

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back