Bean's Dynamite Derby

[Open Assets] Bean's Dynamite Derby v2.1.1

This content may be freely modified and/or maintained by anyone.
Duel Mode Bug: If one player has a higher lap count but the other player has a lower remaining distance, the game will incorrectly rank both of them as being in last. This results in the following...
ringracers0206.gif

  • Both players will have their timer count down (in danger).
  • When the player detonates, if their opponent gets a time bonus, the "has detonated" message will incorrectly show their opponent has having detonated, not the player. This also affects the "funny message" below the "has detonated" message.
  • Both players will LOSE regardless of which player detonates if the surviving player fails to recover to 1st before their opponent's timer hits 0. Furthermore, the surviving player will not have a recorded time nor will have their victory voice line play, despite their signpost showing up.
  • Both players will finish with 0 points if the surviving player fails to recover to 1st before the game ends. (In netgames with CPU players, if a CPU becomes RETIRED, the lower player number will always win in the result screen regardless of which player number survives)
 
first time running Into a bigger bug myself, but luckily I got the total replay data, I hope this helps you find out what exactly happened to cause this bug or many of, I like playing it with cpus at random

I'd say the four povs to keep an eye on are
banana peel
yoshi
honey the cat
and mini luigi
top being the most outlandish, and the bottom being the most sorta, semi normal but still weird ish to some degree

its like, especially with the banana peel, they somehow were still playing after being "out", I figured the replay data would help you figure out what's going on, this mode is quite fun so I hope this helps
 

Attachments

  • 1753384623-casino-cruise-zone-what-the-heck-happened-h.lmp.zip
    1.3 MB · Views: 125
first time running Into a bigger bug myself, but luckily I got the total replay data, I hope this helps you find out what exactly happened to cause this bug or many of, I like playing it with cpus at random

I'd say the four povs to keep an eye on are
banana peel
yoshi
honey the cat
and mini luigi
top being the most outlandish, and the bottom being the most sorta, semi normal but still weird ish to some degree

its like, especially with the banana peel, they somehow were still playing after being "out", I figured the replay data would help you figure out what's going on, this mode is quite fun so I hope this helps
Which other mods did you have loaded here?
 
its like, especially with the banana peel, they somehow were still playing after being "out", I figured the replay data would help you figure out what's going on, this mode is quite fun so I hope this helps
I checked the indicated level (Casino Cruise) which has this thing:
ringracers0213.gif

Based on this, it is possible that a player must have died at just the perfect time as such that the player is in reborn state on the exact frame the timer hits zero and the player gets eliminated. (This is my best guess as I haven't got to the replay file.)

The order of operations which cause this bug:
  • Frame 1-1: Set player reborn (it does not respawn the player immediately; there is a one-frame delay)
  • Frame 1-2: The mod flags the player as "no contest" and eliminated
  • Frame 2: Since player reborn is set, the player respawns despite actually being eliminated
From that point on, the player can still race despite actually being eliminated. Furthermore, this also prevents the "auto-spectate the race leader" thing from happening. This bug can happen without any mods as well, since it can also be triggered with "Last Place Explodes" happening at just the perfect time. This is a base-game bug and also occurs in SRB2Kart which I first discovered it way back in 2020.
 
I checked the indicated level (Casino Cruise) which has this thing:
View attachment 170236
Based on this, it is possible that a player must have died at just the perfect time as such that the player is in reborn state on the exact frame the timer hits zero and the player gets eliminated. (This is my best guess as I haven't got to the replay file.)

The order of operations which cause this bug:
  • Frame 1-1: Set player reborn (it does not respawn the player immediately; there is a one-frame delay)
  • Frame 1-2: The mod flags the player as "no contest" and eliminated
  • Frame 2: Since player reborn is set, the player respawns despite actually being eliminated
From that point on, the player can still race despite actually being eliminated. Furthermore, this also prevents the "auto-spectate the race leader" thing from happening. This bug can happen without any mods as well, since it can also be triggered with "Last Place Explodes" happening at just the perfect time. This is a base-game bug and also occurs in SRB2Kart which I first discovered it way back in 2020.
huh, the more you know, thanks for finding out what went down!
 
Based on this, it is possible that a player must have died at just the perfect time as such that the player is in reborn state on the exact frame the timer hits zero and the player gets eliminated. (This is my best guess as I haven't got to the replay file.)
That must have been the closest thing to a frame perfect double kill in Ring Racers that I've ever seen with BDD loaded.
 
If catch-up ring toggle is turned off, the "Ring Bonus" graphic will still show, though no rings will be awarded (see the 3rd GIF).

If certain players are tied for a certain position, numbers and/or the "X" marks on the left may not draw correctly.

I had noted in a previous post on this thread where the wrong player may be eliminated. I have more details on that, and this usually happens when certain players are on earlier laps but have zero remaining distance (this can happen at Lost Colony, for example). Here is the rundown...

If a player with zero remaining distance gets eliminated, the rest of the round will have unpredictable results. (EDIT: Upon further investigation, what happened at Casino Cruise in post number 22 (2nd post in this page) where a player was still playing despite actually being "OUT" also causes the player to have zero remaining distance, resulting in this same bug.)

When the one in last explodes and respawns causing their remaining distance to zero out just before Overtime ends:
ringracers0278.gif


Hyudoros will hover over an eliminated player if their current position matches the remaining player count (this may occur even without the zero remaining distance bug):
ringracers0277.gif


If there are multiple players whose current race position matches or exceeds the remaining player count, the lowest player number of those will always be eliminated regardless of current placement (in these GIFs, we say that Sakura is Player 1, Aigis is Player 2, and a player not on the mini-rankings display is Player 3 and that there are 3 and 2 players left respectively):
ringracers0275.gif
ringracers0276.gif

Regardless, even if the player is the last one standing, they do not win (as seen in the result screens) unless they are at the very front of the pack (it is possible for a player to be 1st AND eliminated when a round ends). That being said, in Duel Mode, the round ends up being a draw if the surviving player fails to take 1st place before their opponent's timer reaches zero. However, eliminated bots in netgames will always be marked as retired regardless of a bot's final placement.

EDIT 2: Is this supposed to happen? (WARNING indicator shown on the game over screen)
ringracers9056.png
 
Last edited:
FrivolousAqua updated Bean's Dynamite Derby with a new update entry:

Delve Hotfix

Update 2.1.1 of Bean's Dynamite Derby is here.
This is an emergency hotfix to fix a critical bug between Diggle's Track Delve and Bean's Dynamite Derby. There is a fix pending for Delve that addresses it on its end as well.

Fixes
  • The HUD no longer breaks when loading Diggle's Track Delve after Bean's Dynamite Derby.
  • bdd_preset now properly accounts for uppercase names, converting all names to lowercase...

Read the rest of this update entry...
 
Hey, I've been having an issue with BDD where the winning player is not recognized as the only remaining player, and the race keeps running until the first place player is killed and we get a draw on the results.

Two Twitch VODs of mine have it happening:
at the beginning here
and the very last race on Hydro City here

I haven't fully looked into it but given the lack of reports, I'm wondering if it might be a mod conflict. As such, this is probably not high priority but I felt it would be worth noting. I'll look into it a bit when I get a chance.
 
There is a bug with SPB regarding eliminated players.
ringracers0294.gif

(A Lua script is being used to fix the position counter, but that only affects Dynamite Derby, since 1st is incorrectly scored as last and the eliminated player that is in last is incorrectly scored as 1st during SPB calculations.)
  • During SPB "seeking", eliminated players that are not "exiting" are not ignored.
  • If during SPB "chase" with ring-lock being imposed on the targeted player, the targeted player is scored as eliminated, the SPB will stop indefinitely.
  • If during SPB "seeking", the lead player is somehow scored as eliminated, the SPB will stop moving until there is a lead player that is not marked as eliminated. (EDIT 2: If targeting changes to an eliminated player, the SPB will still explode during "seeking" if the previous leading player that the SPB was seeking for makes contact with it before the SPB can get moving again.)
  • (Unrelated to Dynamite Derby) If during SPB "chase", the targeted player is "exiting" but has a lower position than at least one other player that is not "exiting", the SPB will still go back to "seeking" after 2 seconds.
EDIT:
If certain players are tied for a certain position, numbers and/or the "X" marks on the left may not draw correctly.
ringracers6220.png
 
Last edited:
Hey, I've been having an issue with BDD where the winning player is not recognized as the only remaining player, and the race keeps running until the first place player is killed and we get a draw on the results.

I haven't fully looked into it but given the lack of reports, I'm wondering if it might be a mod conflict. As such, this is probably not high priority but I felt it would be worth noting. I'll look into it a bit when I get a chance.
I can verify that this issue still happens when BDD is the only addon loaded on a server, so it doesn't seem to be a mod conflict. I think it may be related to another issue that I've been having whenever trying BDD, where the player in last place isn't getting any of the warning hud or the hyudoros circling them, they instead are circling the player who just got eliminated. I think the counter for the players is offset by 1 in some way right now?
Post automatically merged:

OK, after doing some further testing, ive found that this issue started happening at version 2.0, backporting to 1.3 seems to fix the warning hud and win detection. I tried doing a diff on 1.3 and 2.0 to see if there was anything obviously wrong but idk how it works enough to tell what it is
 
Last edited:
Back
Top