Avorion Drone

[Open Assets] Avorion Drone 1.1

This content may be freely modified and/or maintained by anyone.

Golden Fireball

Amateur Modder
Golden Fireball submitted a new resource:

Drone - A character mod adding the drone from Avorion

My first character mod!

Introducing the Drone, from this game.
Without further ado, let's get to the abilities.

First up, you'll see that you have to meters, Energy and Health.
View attachment 95947
Both can be refilled by collecting rings. Energy drains by using your abilities, health drains by taking damage.
Half of your energy is refilled upon landing, and it regenerates over...

Read more about this resource...

The game that the drone is from has energy management as part of its mechanics.
I was trying to loosely re-create that aspect for balancing purposes.
so, I have two suggestions... scratch that, I have three.
the first one is to have the health and energy above the life counter.
second, have the Lazer set to fire, not fire normal. or have it swapable.
and the last one, have the flying not use energy. everything else? sure, but not flying. and maybe have the flying controls reworked, but I may be overstepping.

so, I have two suggestions... scratch that, I have three.
the first one is to have the health and energy above the life counter.
second, have the Lazer set to fire, not fire normal. or have it swapable.
and the last one, have the flying not use energy. everything else? sure, but not flying. and maybe have the flying controls reworked, but I may be overstepping.
The status display could definitely be moved to a better location, yes.

When creating the mod I wasn't too focused on ringslinger compatibility, so I wasn't sure what button would be best to bind the lasers to.
I'll definitely be taking the first two suggestions into consideration during future updates (which will be coming eventually).

As for flight, I didn't want the player to be skipping entire levels with it, instead using it to preform minor shortcuts.
However, I'm not sure what you mean by reworking the flight controls. Do you mean the buttons used, or how it feels when flying, such as handling characteristics?

As for flight, I didn't want the player to be skipping entire levels with it, instead using it to preform minor shortcuts.
However, I'm not sure what you mean by reworking the flight controls. Do you mean the buttons used, or how it feels when flying, such as handling characteristics?
so, basically the drone's flight works like the characters: boo, egg robo, and ember. (Jump to rise, fall automatically)

I was thinking that it would work more like cacodemon, where the drone holds its position in the air by itself, with jump to rise, and spin to descend. how can this be nerfed? maybe have abilities like the Lazer and rush stop working if you run out of fuel, flying doesn't waste it, but it won't recharge until you land. leaving you vulnerable as like drones in real life, you can't move (or you move significantly slower).
kinda like trading off mobility for defense, and vice versa.
but like I said, I may be overstepping on a character that you are making. you don't have to listen to this one if you don't want to.

so, basically the drone's flight works like the characters: boo, egg robo, and ember. (Jump to rise, fall automatically)

I was thinking that it would work more like cacodemon, where the drone holds its position in the air by itself, with jump to rise, and spin to descend. how can this be nerfed? maybe have abilities like the Lazer and rush stop working if you run out of fuel, flying doesn't waste it, but it won't recharge until you land. leaving you vulnerable as like drones in real life, you can't move (or you move significantly slower).
kinda like trading off mobility for defense, and vice versa.
but like I said, I may be overstepping on a character that you are making. you don't have to listen to this one if you don't want to.
No problem, feedback and ideas are always welcome! I'd like to continually improve the drone by taking suggestions. This has been a great conversation so far. My only concern with implementing flight in the way you said is that the drone may get stuck on springs. I've theorized ways to prevent that, but I'll need to do some testing.

I suppose the best way to describe the drone's flight is like Tails in Sonic Adventure (though adjustments could be made to make it more similar).

Last edited:
HP (Health) and EN (Energy) Bars? Activating Abilities decreases the EN Bar, and Reveiving Damage decreases the HP Bar.

Healthbar Examples:
HP ██████████100/100
HP ██████████68/100
HP ██████████22/100

HP (Health) and EN (Energy) Bars? Activating Abilities decreases the EN Bar, and Reveiving Damage decreases the HP Bar.

Healthbar Examples:
HP ██████████100/100
HP ██████████68/100
HP ██████████22/100
In a future update I'm planning on replacing the numbers with actual bars like you have here.

Golden Fireball updated Drone with a new update entry:

Planned updates (No release date)

1. Rebalance health and energy aspects for additional challenge
2. Improve the sprites
3. Update the HUD

I'm also considering adding additional particles like an exhaust plume, as well as custom sound effects.
Besides this, I may remove dashmode and the hover ability since it doesn't exactly make sense.

Once again, this mod is based off the starting ship in Avorion, the Drone.
(https://store.steampowered.com/app/445220/Avorion/) (Will...

Read the rest of this update entry...

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back