Old 3 Days Ago   #6541
glaber
Emblem Radar Ready

An each time trigger for pushable objects
Old 3 Days Ago   #6542
SonicX8000
Graphic & Sprite Modder.
Judge

Might've been mentioned already & is quite a minor one but I don't suppose the lump name 'STLIVEX' which is the X graphic for the lives counter could be whitelisted to not trip the 'Game is modified' flag?

If one is changing Hud Elements & wanted to avoid modifying the game. They can't change 'STLIVEX' to have the X graphic fit in with their Hud Style as it'll trip the 'Game is modified' flag. You're able to change the letters on the lives counter since it uses the console font graphics, which is whitelisted.

Last edited by SonicX8000; 3 Days Ago at 07:26 AM.
SonicX8000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Days Ago   #6543
Moose the Fat Cat

(Cross-post from Mystic thread, but I think this is better off here)

I have a suggestion. Why not simply approach moderation more democratically? Perhaps there are term limits from now on, like, once a year or something. Perhaps there could be a nominating thread and then an election process through a Poll thread.

For example, I think Unknownlight said a few pages back, he's been on the forum since 2007. He's done good work for the game — his post on Era was basically something a PR person would do if this were an official game; there's a few people on the forum besides me who learned about the game from that post and then became the enthusiasts we are today. I would nominate him to be someone that could be a Moderator for X amount of time, if he were up to it. His posts are always thoughtful and respectful. And, nominating & electing would also encourage people to be better community members, because there's a reward for it. People notice.

A system like that might've saved Mystic & Rob from their worst tendencies. The absoluteness of their power is the root problem. SRB2 is a community game. The community should come first, always. I think most would agree SRB is a game "for the community, by the community" and the attitude of the former leaders was very much in opposition to that.

I think that would help as well since Moderation can be such a "full time job" to make it more like... jury duty or serving on a local community council or something.

So maybe it's like, the current moderation team is in place from Now until July 2021 when an election process will occur. To test the new system, perhaps maybe X amount of new moderators (1-3 maybe?) are added to the team in the next few weeks, with the same term ending date.

What do you think?
Moose the Fat Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 Days Ago   #6544
Augus

The problem with having moderators be chosen by a vote is that, well, it becomes a popularity contest. It can lead to a lot of cliquishness and moderators that will play favorites.
Augus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 Days Ago   #6545
Ace Dragon

On other communities, people are invited to become moderators because of their generally good and helpful behavior as evidenced by their posting history. You want people with a strong and helpful character as moderators, which is something that an 'election' would not ensure. An example for here, anyone who had an infraction for the past year or so (for legitimate reasons) would likely not qualify. You need to have a strong vetting process to ensure you don't have staff who will abuse their power.

Other communities also make it clear that the job of 'moderator' is not something everyone should dream about. Moderators have to check every post in the forum and their ability to have strong opinions on certain subjects become limited.
Ace Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 Days Ago   #6546
Moose the Fat Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace Dragon View Post
On other communities, people are invited to become moderators because of their generally good and helpful behavior as evidenced by their posting history. You want people with a strong and helpful character as moderators, which is something that an 'election' would not ensure. An example for here, anyone who had an infraction for the past year or so (for legitimate reasons) would likely not qualify. You need to have a strong vetting process to ensure you don't have staff who will abuse their power.

Other communities also make it clear that the job of 'moderator' is not something everyone should dream about. Moderators have to check every post in the forum and their ability to have strong opinions on certain subjects become limited.
Hmm. Maybe there's like a weighted voting system? Like, your vote counts "more" the longer you've been here / the more "accolades" you've accumulated (ie, have previously been a Mod / Dev / Admin).

---------- Post added at 07:56 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:54 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Augus View Post
The problem with having moderators be chosen by a vote is that, well, it becomes a popularity contest. It can lead to a lot of cliquishness and moderators that will play favorites.
That wouldn't be any different from the existing status quo, right? Except that right now the community has 0 say in it, unless things get really screwy.

But yeah straight-voting is too easily rigged. But there could be a way to do a "weighted" system where some voters have a bit more say than others based on earned merits.

So it still ensures that the right people are chosen, but also, if a Mod is especially unpopular -- say, Mystic -- they'll get a chance to see that community feedback in the anonymous votes even if they still won.
Moose the Fat Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Day Ago   #6547
Kaysakado

I've talked about this a bit on Discord so I may as well put it somewhere with a bit more permanence - NiGHTS' system is confusing. Admittedly I have never played the original NiGHTS but I don't think that can be an expectation for SRB2's audience. For special stages I understand obviously that you need blue spheres to destroy the capsule, but I have no idea what the difference is between rings and hoops, what exactly refills drill, how do each of the different items contribute to your score, or how bonuses are calculated.

To further complicate the issue, there are three different sets of objects for NiGHTS in the game - Special Stage NiGHTS, "regular" NiGHTS, and Christmas NiGHTS. Imo, there's no reason not to use the blue sphere/ring spriteset for all NiGHTS maps - I get the desire to reference the source material but... the reference is already there, in the actual gameplay.

Finally, what's the deal with 3D mode? In some maps, you start as NiGHTS and if you run out of time, the stage is over. In some maps, you start as NiGHTS and if you run out of time you go into 3D Mode. And in some maps you just start in 3D Mode. I do think 3D Mode is a cool mechanic and probably shouldn't be removed outright, but a little bit more consistency of behavior would be nice! Maybe if you start in 3D Mode, you can go back if you run out of time, but if you start as NiGHTS the stage will always end if you run out of time?

I really want to get into NiGHTS more but it just seems arbitrary, confusing, and intimidating to me - I could be totally wrong and there's a clear and logical pattern behind the madness, but in that case, I'd love to know what it is?
Kaysakado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Day Ago   #6548
AngelBJ245
Random dude who hates life

This has been stirring in my brain for who knows how long now. It's a lot to ask, yes, but I just think it would be really cool and very useful for modding.
I know 2.2.5 will have actual Hyper colors, but I don't think that's enough when it comes to hyper forms.
Therefore, my suggestion is HFC.
What is HFC you ask? You probably already know (considering the hint above).
Hyper Form Compatibility is supposed to be full compatibility with Hyper Forms, hence the Super Emeralds W.I.P in Editing.
And when I say full compatibility, I really do mean full compatibility.
Sprites, Powers, Perks, etc.
This is mostly inspired by 2.2.5's custom supercolor LUA and the Hyper Abilities script.
Yeah I know it's still a little bit much to ask of, but again, I just think it'll be fun for modding and custom characters.
Opinions and criticism is very much welcome for this suggestion.

Last edited by AngelBJ245; 1 Day Ago at 02:48 AM. Reason: Remembered custom supercolors.
AngelBJ245 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Day Ago   #6549
Frostiikin
Insert funny hahas here

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelBJ245 View Post
This has been stirring in my brain for who knows how long now. It's a lot to ask, yes, but I just think it would be really cool and very useful for modding.
I know 2.2.5 will have actual Hyper colors, but I don't think that's enough when it comes to hyper forms.
Therefore, my suggestion is HFC.
What is HFC you ask? You probably already know (considering the hint above).
Hyper Form Compatibility is supposed to be full compatibility with Hyper Forms, hence the Super Emeralds W.I.P in Editing.
And when I say full compatibility, I really do mean full compatibility.
Sprites, Powers, Perks, etc.
This is mostly inspired by 2.2.5's hyper colors and the Hyper Abilities script.
Yeah I know it's still a little bit much to ask of, but again, I just think it'll be fun for modding and custom characters.
Opinions and criticism is very much welcome for this suggestion.
But 2.2.5 doesn't *have* hyper colors. If you're refering to my ERZ Super Sonic's hyper alt, that's a custom supercolor that he's using which is made to immitate hyper sonic.
Old 1 Day Ago   #6550
AngelBJ245
Random dude who hates life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frostiikin View Post
But 2.2.5 doesn't *have* hyper colors. If you're refering to my ERZ Super Sonic's hyper alt, that's a custom supercolor that he's using which is made to immitate hyper sonic.
Dag nabbit, I forgot about that. You can forget I ever said anything about that..
AngelBJ245 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Day Ago   #6551
ManuelRome

I only have a few suggestions, first, could there be an option to turn off the weird Eggman intro? I know I can just skip it, but every time I forget to skip it, it just weirds me out, so that's one.

My other suggestion i'm assuming would be way more complicated to implement, but it's a gameplay style that doesn't require the mouse controls. I'm honestly pretty bad at the game and I think most of it is fighting with my mouse skills, I've tried playing with my Gamepro controller but it doesn't work at all on srb2. Although I do know that the game is designed around the mouse and keyboard controls so I would understand if it's not possible to implement that.

I do think the core gameplay needs a few changes, mostly about momentum, I don't think it needs to be as overpowered as that one Momentum mod, I actually wish it had a bit less momentum, for instance when I jump, I feel you shouldn't be able to gain infinite forward momentum, it messes my jumps from platform to platform most of the time.
ManuelRome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Day Ago   #6552
Zwip-Zwap Zapony

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManuelRome View Post
I only have a few suggestions, first, could there be an option to turn off the weird Eggman intro? [...]
There is. If you launch the game with the "-skipintro" command-line parameter/launch option set, it'll skip the Eggman "splash" and the story intro.

This can be accomplished by launching the game through a shortcut or a batch file, where you can add "-skipintro" after the executable name.
Alternatively, if you launch SRB2 through Steam, you can right-click SRB2 in your Steam Library, choose "Properties...", click "Set Launch Options...", and add "-skipintro" there.

(Unfortunately, "-skipintro" can't be set when launching the game by double-clicking the game executable itself in File Explorer or such. Only shortcuts, batch files, or other similar things can add command-line parameters.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManuelRome View Post
[...] My other suggestion i'm assuming would be way more complicated to implement, but it's a gameplay style that doesn't require the mouse controls. [...]
Within SRB2, try to go to "Options" > "Player 1 Controls..." > "Play Style...", and change it to "Simple". Does this help?
Zwip-Zwap Zapony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 Hours Ago   #6553
Jaco Boy

I think it would be cool if srb2 had some sort of rich presence support for discord. it could display Your current act/zone along with your currently selected character. Although im not sure of how it should handle wads.
Old 4 Hours Ago   #6554
Spectorious
Certified synth whore

Small suggestion here, but I think the invincibility sparkles would really benefit form having fullbright. It looks pretty wack when something that's meant to be emitting light just fades away in darker areas.