SRB2 Message Board  

Go Back   SRB2 Message Board > Sonic Robo Blast 2 > Releases > Characters

Dirk & Whirl - The Kinetic Duo Details »»
Dirk & Whirl - The Kinetic Duo
Version: v1.2.0, by DirkTheHusky (Team Kinetic RPG) DirkTheHusky is offline
Developer Last Online: Sep 2020

Version: SRB2 Rating: (16 votes - 4.50 average)
Released: 02-05-2020 Last Update: Never Favourites: 23
Characters SOCs Scripts Sprites/Graphics

After seeing the terrible events of Greenflower Mountain being destroyed during exploration hours, Dirk hops into action to see what is going on. With his buddy Whirl by his side, they'll work together to defeat the trouble that awaits them on this adventure.

Meet the characters

Dirk The Husky

A cyrokinetic young husky who likes to enjoy going on adventures with his friends. Using his ice abilities to help me reach high places and even run across water. He also relies on the ability to spindash to destroy his enemies.
Players will find Dirk handy to reach grounds that tails can.

Abilities:
Spoiler:

Main abilities:
Ice Platforms (Double Jump):

Inspired from Cloud Mario from Super Mario Galaxy 2. Dirk can spawn up to three platforms when he's in the air. However, after you spawn one, it will vanish after a few seconds so be quick and mindful on where to spawn them. Use them to your advantage in platforming if you got what it takes!

Ice Surf (Spin while rolling and holding down forward):

WHERE. IS MY. SUPER SUIT?! With a running start, Dirk can travel through the air using ice surf for 6 seconds. To start it, press spin while rolling and holding down forward. Holding Jump while ice surfing to ascend higher, but your speed will also be cut in half. Releasing spin while ascending makes Dirk hop off his ice surf to end it. Dirk rapid tints the skincolor your using when you have half the energy left and the ice surf trail starts to fade out. Trying to perform this ability when walking will send Dirk into his spin state.

Frost Walker (Passive ability #1):

With the cyrokinesis energy surrounding him, Dirk can walk on water with ease while spawning ice under his feet. Though be a bit careful when using this move on rising water. You can cancel this ability by spindashing.

Slippery Floor Resistance (Passive ability #2):

Dirk has a bit of an advantage with slippery floors. When no movement keys are pressed on slippery floors, Dirk can stop faster than everyone else. With this special ability, Dirk has no problem beating zones filled with ice and/or slippery hazards.

Shield Abilities:
Nothing new when Dirk gets any shield. He will perform the same abilities as normal.

Competitive Abilities:
Dirk does have ringslinger abilities. Due to Ringslinger gametypes not being popular on the master server these days, I don't think they're worth explaining at the moment.

Frost Stun (Battle mod - 16 rings, 7 second cooldown):

Dirk's moves focuses on using the spindash to damage his foes. But some foes can get away easily! Using frost stun will charge up the move and release the energy in a radius to freeze players. This gives Dirk an opportunity to strike while they're down. Frozen players must rapidly tap the "jump" button to break free! His main abilities are disabled when he holds the flag or the emerald. He can also parry and has a one shield storage.

Whirl The Ram

A very optimistic and cheerful lad who assist Dirk in any way he can. With his horns made out of wood and a very resilient head, charging into enemies is his main way of attacking. He also has aerokinesis to make up for not having the ability to spindash. Players will find Whirl useful to speed through the zones while bashing through obstacles.

Abilities:
Spoiler:

Main abilities:
Propeller Fly/Drill (Double Jump, then pressing Jump or Spin afterwards):

Inspired by the Propeller Suit from the New Super Mario Bros. series. Whirl uses his Aerokinesis to thrust himself upwards while spinning. After the liftoff, he will descend down very slowly, but his speed is also cut down. No need to hold down jump while performing this ability as it is used for another purpose after performing the propeller fly.

By pressing jump or spin while descending, Whirl will drill down to the ground at high speed. Upon landing, enemies near a radius will be damaged. You can even damage enemies from above while performing this move to bounce off. However you're vulnerable once you made your move. You can break bustable floors with this move to take Amy/Fang routes and drilling into vertical and diagonal sprites will give you a boost.

Ram Charge (Holding down spin when on the ground):

Based on Spyro's charge from his games. Whirl will use his horns to batter enemies while running at high speed. You can even jump while using this move. Controlling through the zones will be a challenge for you're charging. You'll slow down when you make contact with enemies and bonk off walls and any enemies that have more than one HP. Master this ability and you'll become the unstoppable ramming machine.

This move can heavily be interacted with many objects in the game. Ramming into horizontal springs will really send you flying depending which color spring you hit. You can even break through bustable walls and spikes!

Shield Abilities:
Nothing new when Whirl gets any shield. He will perform the same abilities as normal.

Competitive Abilities:

Whirl's move set deals damage in many ways that he doesn't need his own special ability. Using moves like propeller fly and drill dive for aerial attacks and the ground splash and ram charge for ground damage. His ram charge speed is also toned down in battle gametypes. His main abilities are also disabled whenever he holds the flag or the diamond. He can also parry and has a one shield storage.

When two combine their powers as one!

With these two work together, nothing will stop them! Dirk take charge while Whirl follows along. With the Dirk and Whirl option, you can perform a special ability. Stand in the same position as Whirl and jump when the arrow indicator shows up.

Dirk will grab on to Whirl while Whirl performs the Propeller Fly move. While flying you can press spin to drill down or press jump to hop off! Combine Dirk and Whirl's move to maximize your height.

Whirl can also ride on Dirk's Ice surf trail to travel far and high! Both team abilities can also be used in Co-op in netgames, try these moves with others and show Eggman what teamwork really means!

Customization:
Here you can see what stuff you can do for your own addons, if you want to that is.

Frozen and surf sprites: You can apply these to your custom character through SOC. Dirk and Whirl have theirs in the base pk3.

Code:
Frozen sprites:
SPR2_FROZ

Sprite2 SPR2_FROZ
Default = SPR2_DEAD

Surf sprites:
SPR2_SURF

Sprite2 SPR2_SURF
Default = SPR2_WALK
Changelog:
Spoiler:

- V1.2.0a
Dirk:
Code:
- Bugfixes:
 Fixed something involving consoleplayer

- V1.2.0 - Chaos has been reignited!
Dirk:
Code:
- General:
 Ice platforms now spawn particles whenever they're created
 Sound for ice platforms have higher pitches for the 2nd, 3rd, and so on.
 Ice surf improvements:
	- The ability itself is now triggered by pressing spin while in a rolling state.
	- Ice surf ascending now runs smoother.
        - Players will stay on the ice surf trail without desynching.
	- Ice surf platforms can no longer collide with parts of the trail, which means that players can no longer be crushed (hopefully...)
        - SPR2_SURF is now custom character support, you can now make 
custom surf frames for characters mods!
 Added dance.
 Added a squeaker sfx whenever Dirk gets hugged.
 Chaos has reignited with the kinetic energy. What does it mean? You'll find out eventually...
Whirl:
Code:
- General:
 Whirl bot now jumps lower to reach Dirk's height when performing flight call, making the action perform faster.
 Added surf sprites.
 Added dance. It can also be synched with Dirk's dance.
 Bonk 2: Electric Boogaloo.
- V1.1.1
Dirk:
Code:
- General:
 Some sprite fixes

-Bugfixes:
 Dirk can no longer use frost walk if the PF_SLIDING flag is active
 Dirk's abilities (except frost walker and slippery floor resistence) are disabled when he's holding the diamond in Diamond in the Rough
Whirl:
Code:
-Battle:
 Whirl's abilities and effects are completely disabled when frozen.
- V1.1.0 - Battle support returns!
Dirk:
Code:
- General:
 Brough back battle support all updated to the latest version of SRB2 Battle.

-Battle:
 Frost stun radius has been nerfed from 320 to 240.
 Players now fly a bit higher when frozen.
 Dirk now has the parry system like the others and uses one shield storage.
Whirl:
Code:
- General:
 Propeller fly now halts your speed when propelling upwards.
 Propeller fly effects disappear in first person.
 Ram charge received new windflow papersprites to give it more charm.
 Using Ram charge with speed sneakers no longer slows you down. They stack to your current charge speed. This also applies to using the move on horizontal springs and when super. Don't ask about Super Whirl.
 Ram charge allows you to run on water.

-Battle:
 Added battle support. No special moves for Whirl due to all of his moves dealing damage.
 Ram charge speed will be reduced in these gametypes.
 Whirl can parry like everyone else and uses one shield storage.

-Bugfixes:
 Fixed an issue where bubble particles will rise out of the water.
- V1.0.0 - The beginning of the kinetic duo!
Dirk:
Code:
- General:
 Updated a few animations.
 Ice cuffs are now hueshifted to give them more of an icy feel.
 Character Select image got updated
 Super Dirk now uses "super icy", a custom supercolor

-Fixes:
 Noise cancelling for ice surf now stops the sounds for ice surf only instead of the player itself.
 nani easter egg now triggers if the bot is in the STND state only.
Whirl:
Code:
- General:
 Initial Debut.

Credits:
These characters wouldn't go beyond great with some help from these people!

Alacroix: Character Select Art Assistance
CobaltBW: Battle Support lua for Dirk
Inazuma: Some ideas to make both characters fun to play as
Jimita: Lua porter for Dirk with some improvements
Lach: Main lua scripter for Dirk
Lat': Bugfixing some lua for Dirk
MotorRoach: Sprite feedback in case if I didn't think some sprites were planned as I expected it would
SMS Alfredo: Main lua scripter for Whirl
Soap Surfin': Signpost assistance
switchKaze: Ice Ring render
Tatsuru: Assisting with frozen sprites
VAdaPEGA: Sound effects
STCPhoton: Ice surf sprite

And many other people who helped me test these two characters to make sure they're fun to play with others.

Enjoy playing as these two small boys!

Download Now

File Type: pk3 CL_DirkChars-v1.2.pk3 (1.31 MB, 684 views)

Screenshots

Click image for larger version

Name:	srb20000.gif
Views:	466
Size:	4.63 MB
ID:	35108   Click image for larger version

Name:	srb20001.gif
Views:	354
Size:	7.32 MB
ID:	35110   Click image for larger version

Name:	srb20002.gif
Views:	271
Size:	6.22 MB
ID:	35111   Click image for larger version

Name:	srb20003.gif
Views:	326
Size:	4.98 MB
ID:	35112   Click image for larger version

Name:	srb20009.gif
Views:	330
Size:	6.73 MB
ID:	35113  

Name:	srb20010.gif
Views:	319
Size:	5.89 MB
ID:	35114   Click image for larger version

Name:	srb20011.gif
Views:	317
Size:	4.43 MB
ID:	35115   Click image for larger version

Name:	srb20012.gif
Views:	305
Size:	6.03 MB
ID:	35116   Click image for larger version

Name:	srb20013.gif
Views:	239
Size:	6.96 MB
ID:	35117   Click image for larger version

Name:	srb20014.gif
Views:	251
Size:	6.77 MB
ID:	35118  

Name:	Dirk_CSS-Art.png
Views:	385
Size:	25.2 KB
ID:	35119   Click image for larger version

Name:	Whirl_CSS-Art.png
Views:	422
Size:	19.8 KB
ID:	35120   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dirk-Whirl-CSS.jpg
Views:	522
Size:	64.2 KB
ID:	35121   Click image for larger version

Name:	srb20052.gif
Views:	6268
Size:	5.21 MB
ID:	35666   Click image for larger version

Name:	srb20053.gif
Views:	6209
Size:	5.13 MB
ID:	35667  

Supporters / CoAuthors

Show Your Support

• This addon may not be copied, reproduced or published elsewhere without the author's permission.

Comments
Old 07-17-2020   #42
DirkTheHusky
Team Kinetic RPG

A complete rewrite for this thread for one reason only.

Introducing...Whirl The Ram

Whirl, Dirk's best buddy, is now a playable character. He assists Dirk along his journey and helps him in any way he can! Check the thread post for more information on this boy.

Not only Whirl joins in, Dirk also receives some minor updates. Would be Version 2.2 if he was still a standalone addon. Here's a list on what's changed for him

Code:
 Some of Dirk's animations have been updated.
 Dirk's Ice Cuffs got a polish to make them reflect their icy colors.
 Super Dirk got a make-over. It now uses a custom supercolor instead of cyan.
 All of the sounds don't cancel out when ending Ice Surf.
 Nani secret now triggers when bot is in the STND state.

>Kitty: sans undertale?
>DirkTheHusky: ness earthbound
DirkTheHusky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2020   #43
NoNameUser

Lol what he is out
NoNameUser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2020   #44
Inazuma
Go on, I dare you!
Judge

Now this is awesome.
Inazuma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2020   #45
ClassicNC
welp

Okay, this is epic
Old 07-17-2020   #46
furrless

what can be said. this is a very cool character
furrless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2020   #47
MADVAL2

What happened to Inazuma?

---------- Post added at 06:48 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:29 AM ----------

So i Found a Bug on The Addon,Eggman's Lasers Gets Changed to a Different Sprite Instead of the Original

And Yes,i was Playing as Ivory From Logan8r,Sorry

Edit:That was not the Addon's bug,That was the old version of Modern Sonic's Bug

Last edited by MADVAL2; 07-17-2020 at 08:06 AM. Reason: Fixed
MADVAL2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2020   #48
KobaBeach
i make mario hacks and die

There they are... The lads...

super mario world hacking twitter (warning i speak in japanese a lot also shitposting)
KobaBeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2020   #49
Daviroll_Limit
Living my dreams as always

"hey ma, can we have Inazuma?"
"we have Inazuma at home"
Inazuma at home:

okok, jokes aside, i tried this out, and is really fun to play, i really wanted this character to be relevant as possible
my discord name: 「デビッド~」|PC-98|#4594 (i know, very original)
My Twitter Account (fixed the link, plus the account is no more on hiatus)
Daviroll_Limit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2020   #50
MADVAL2

And that's how Inazuma got Depressed and Crippled,The End
Old 07-17-2020   #51
GreenKnight9000

And thus, another GREAT OC Character has joined the roster! Hooray!

Still waiting for Controller Support to be fixed...
GreenKnight9000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2020   #52
Wayzy

Default .

i know this isn't really related but is there a mod that lets the character run on water when they are under the effect of the speed shoes?
Wayzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2020   #53
Suporma
Chocolaty

Another high quality character from Dirk.
Whirl is really good all around the board.
Suporma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2020   #54
izzy
ceo of good descriptions

Beat the game with Whirl a few hours ago, so now I can give my final thoughts on this wonderful character.

Spoiler:
Dunno what to say apart from-
S
RANK
MATERIAL

Seriously, this was such a fun character to play with. I'll definitely play some other level packs with this, but there's one thing I can think of that can be improved upon.

I think it'd be nice if turning power got enhanced while Ram Charging and jumping at the cost of a speed penalty. That or just pulling the Ram Charge back in mid-air easier to do.

whirl 2.3

skip 2.0
izzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2020   #55
DirkTheHusky
Team Kinetic RPG

Quote:
Originally Posted by izzy View Post
Beat the game with Whirl a few hours ago, so now I can give my final thoughts on this wonderful character.

Spoiler:
Dunno what to say apart from-
S
RANK
MATERIAL

Seriously, this was such a fun character to play with. I'll definitely play some other level packs with this, but there's one thing I can think of that can be improved upon.

I think it'd be nice if turning power got enhanced while Ram Charging and jumping at the cost of a speed penalty. That or just pulling the Ram Charge back in mid-air easier to do.
Glad that you had fun with Whirl as much as I did making him! With the moves he had while testing alone and with others, I was bit skeptical on if his gameplay would be broken at first. But that's what feedback here is for, right?

As for the turning for the ram charge, its enough of a penalty for going fast. You're playing his ram charge like you're playing as Spyro and not Modern Sonic. You may able to bust through obstacles, but it really does change your handling a lot. As for the ram charge in mid-air, you can pull back by simply pressing the opposite direction in mid-air while using that move. The rebound can also be controlled if you bonked into a wall or any tough enemies if that helps you.

Old 07-18-2020   #56
izzy
ceo of good descriptions

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirkTheHusky View Post
Glad that you had fun with Whirl as much as I did making him! With the moves he had while testing alone and with others, I was bit skeptical on if his gameplay would be broken at first. But that's what feedback here is for, right?

As for the turning for the ram charge, its enough of a penalty for going fast. You're playing his ram charge like you're playing as Spyro and not Modern Sonic. You may able to bust through obstacles, but it really does change your handling a lot. As for the ram charge in mid-air, you can pull back by simply pressing the opposite direction in mid-air while using that move. The rebound can also be controlled if you bonked into a wall or any tough enemies if that helps you.
I had a feeling it was just me not knowing much about his gameplay.

guess that means whirl is perfect

whirl 2.3

whirl 2.3

skip 2.0
izzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2020   #57
All_Hail_Sombra

I'm trying to get all emblems with a Team only made by mods, using Neo Sonic, Inazume's Shadow, Silver, this, Hinoke and Werehog. In my head, the story is: everybody from the classic age (Knuckles, Tails, Amy, the Chaotix, Fang and others), except for Sonic, had been captured, and now, Sonic, Shadow and Silver are training a new group of heroes. They are Hinoke, Dirk an Whirl. Werehog is just a filler (and also because I like him pretty much in this game).

Last edited by All_Hail_Sombra; 07-22-2020 at 03:09 PM.
All_Hail_Sombra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2020   #58
MADVAL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by All_Hail_Sombra View Post
I'm trying to get all emblems with a Team only made by mods, using Neo Sonic, Inazume's Shadow, Silver, this, Hinoke and Werehog. In my head, the story is: everybody from the classic age (Knuckles, Tails, Amy, the Chaotix, Fang and others), except for Sonic, had been captured, and now, Sonic, Shadow and Silver are training a new group of heroes. They are Hinoke, Dirk an Whirl. Werehog is just a filler (and also because I like him pretty much in this game).
It's Hinote,not "Hinoke"
Old 07-24-2020   #59
DirkTheHusky
Team Kinetic RPG

Version 1.1 is now up! This update focuses on giving these boys battle support. With Dirk, he's now up to date with some tweaks. Whirl on the other hand, is now supported completely! While he has no special moves for the mod, his main moveset deals damage in so many ways. Use them to fight others in battle!

- V1.1.0 - Battle support returns!
Dirk:
Code:
- General:
 Brough back battle support all updated to the latest version of SRB2 Battle.

-Battle:
 Frost stun radius has been nerfed from 320 to 240.
 Players now fly a bit higher when frozen.
 Dirk now has the parry system like the others and uses one shield storage.
Whirl:
Code:
- General:
 Propeller fly now halts your speed when propelling upwards.
 Propeller fly effects disappear in first person.
 Ram charge received new windflow papersprites to give it more charm.
 Using Ram charge with speed sneakers no longer slows you down. They stack to your current charge speed. This also applies to using the move on horizontal springs and when super. Don't ask about Super Whirl.
 Ram charge allows you to run on water.

-Battle:
 Added battle support. No special moves for Whirl due to all of his moves dealing damage.
 Ram charge speed will be reduced in these gametypes.
 Whirl can parry like everyone else and uses one shield storage.

-Bugfixes:
 Fixed an issue where bubble particles will rise out of the water.

Thanks to CobaltBW for assisting, testing, and giving me some feedback for Whirl! And I hope you guys will enjoy playing as him in battle mod. Feel free to give feedback and report any bugs you found here!

Old 07-24-2020   #60
MADVAL2

Finally!,i have been waiting for Battle Mod Support!
Old 07-24-2020   #61
SpicyHamSamson
Pure of Heart! Dumb of Ass!

I gotta say, both Dirk and Whirl are a blast to play with. If I could give one criticism, it's that I'm not very fond of the way Whirl bounces back and slows down a bit when he charges into an enemy. It feels less like you're charging into them and blowing them away and more like you and the enemy just bumped into each other.
SpicyHamSamson is offline   Reply With Quote