This content may be freely modified and/or maintained by anyone.

MarioFreak2001

that one gal
attachment.php

This is my dumb little bow tie OC Bowie. He has a cool twirl ability.

Special thanks to Faye (Zipper#2450) on the discord server for teaching me how to do the lua (even though I probably won't use this knowledge again oof.)

Attachments

• srb20174.png
    srb20174.png
    40.9 KB · Views: 1,161
  • srb20302.gif
    srb20302.gif
    2.7 MB · Views: 1,283
  • srb20303.gif
    srb20303.gif
    3.1 MB · Views: 992
  • srb20175.png
    srb20175.png
    13.1 KB · Views: 14,372
  • VCL_Bowie-V2.zip
    95.8 KB · Views: 2,352
Last edited:
This character has great potential, but the twirl seems to not work when you're upside down. Oh, and apparently it kills every other characters' abilities to only where they can only jump.

Last edited:
I don't know if this is just a problem with my computer or something, but the twirl ability isn't triggering when I press the spin button midair.

I feel like there should be a grounded spin so its less tedious to take out floors and such

Bowie looks awesome! Your spritework has seen very clear improvement across all of your Kart character releases up to now, and you should be proud of it. His expressions and animations convey a very comprehensible personality for the character and a good understanding of spatial awareness.

I found a multitude of bugs while messing around with the character.
attachment.php

Not sure if this is intentional or not, but holding spin while becoming airborne (e.g. by jumping or running off an edge) activates his ability.

attachment.php

If you continue to hold spin after twirling into a spring, you'll fall slowly to the ground. D'aw, I guess he's having a fun time letting the wind carry him around!

attachment.php

You can use the ability to cancel hitstun. (Easy fix—disable the ability if P_PlayerInPain(p) is truthy.)

attachment.php

The twirl acts very strangely while inside goop.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

The ability can be used while being carried. I guess the defense against the Pterabytes is a cool quirk! (But if you want to fix this, check out p.powers[pw_carry] and the carry types it can be set to.)

attachment.php

attachment.php

The ability doesn't work very well while wearing a shield. For this reason I think the ability should actually activate on a jump press rather than a spin press; most characters' primary abilities activate on a jump press, but if you really want to keep it on spin, you should disable shield abilities (which you can do by returning true in a ShieldSpecial hook—it's not currently on the wiki, so seek out some help on Discord if you need assistance).

Also, just a little bit of Lua critique, if you don't mind: p.spinanim seems redundant; you can check whether the player's state is S_PLAY_TWRL instead. PA_ABILITY2 with CA2_MELEE is enough to break both walls and floors, so you don't need to additionally set Bowie's charability to CA_GLIDEANDCLIMB. Because of this, if you let go of spin the tic you touch the ground from a twirl, you enter Knuckles's landing state instead of Amy's, which I would say is undesirable here.

Attachments

• srb20618.gif
    srb20618.gif
    3.9 MB · Views: 7,432
  • srb20617.gif
    srb20617.gif
    5.4 MB · Views: 7,807
  • srb20623.gif
    srb20623.gif
    2.3 MB · Views: 7,227
  • srb20625.gif
    srb20625.gif
    5.6 MB · Views: 7,747
  • srb20624.gif
    srb20624.gif
    6.2 MB · Views: 7,651
  • srb20621.gif
    srb20621.gif
    7.6 MB · Views: 7,653
  • srb20622.gif
    srb20622.gif
    1.9 MB · Views: 7,163
  • srb20619.gif
    srb20619.gif
    3.3 MB · Views: 7,240
  • srb20620.gif
    srb20620.gif
    3.5 MB · Views: 6,978
Yeah I too think the ability should be on jump rather than spin, the way it is now makes him a bit unwieldy, especially when shields are involved.

I have basically zero complaints beyond that though.

The comedy bow is finally here yippee

He's a simple character, but a fun one
Excited to see what other mods ya got cookin :)

I noticed he doesn't have NiGHTs Sprites. And it somewhat bothers me. Do you think you could make NiGHTs sprites sometime soon?

This is a pretty cool wad, and i do like some bowie, but i kinda do wish that he had some ground attack to break walls and stuff, and for hitting grounded badniks without having to wait for him to go down.

also the spin abilty doesn't reset after using a shield, so if you get a thunder shield you can jump infinitely, so you may want to do something about that

attachment.php

This is my dumb little bow tie OC Bowie. He has a cool twirl ability.

Special thanks to Faye (Zipper#2450) on the discord server for teaching me how to do the lua (even though I probably won't use this knowledge again oof.)
Please, change the twirl's model dat name. It conflicts with pierre.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back