SRB2 Message Board  

Go Back   SRB2 Message Board > Archived > Outdated Releases (2.1.X) > Mods (2.1.X)

Mystic Realm v.4.6 (scr_mysticrealm.wad) Details »»
Mystic Realm v.4.6 (scr_mysticrealm.wad)
Developer Last Online: May 2020

Category: Version: SRB2 Rating: (7 votes - 4.29 average)
Released: 08-03-2014 Last Update: Never Favourites: 12
Single Player Levels SOCs Scripts Sprites/Graphics

Mystic Realm is a level mod for SRB2 with over 30 stages, a bunch of secrets, and a lot of stuff to do. Being originally created in 2003 and last significantly updated in 2006, Mystic Realm is one of the oldest SRB2 modifications. As such, many of the levels here will likely feel dated nowadays after the vanilla game updates included far more interesting single player stages with far more depth. On the other hand, an insane amount of love and devotion was put into this, and while the stages lack in modern size and depth, they do still have it where it counts. If you're looking for a bunch of moderately decent single player content or have a nostalgia for older versions of SRB2, Mystic Realm should last you quite a while.

For those that haven't played this before, emerald collection in Mystic Realm is vastly different from SRB2. Each of the seven main zones has a Mystic Temple hidden in Act 2. Activating the Mystic Temple changes the next stage to a hidden single-act zone of higher difficulty level than the normal zone. At the end of the hidden zone is a chaos emerald and the end level sign, taking the player back to Act 3.

Spoiler: Version History
Version 4.6
  • Ported to SRB2 v.2.1. Thanks to Prime for porting his SOC as usual.
  • Changed the unlockable structure to finally handle the secret stages. You can now access Prismatic Angel and Mystic Realm Zones from the Secrets menu after completing them.
  • Fixed a few minor bugs.
Version 4.5
  • Ported to SRB2 v.2.0 thanks to Ezer.Arch, Kaysakado, Prime 2.0, and SpiritCrusher.
  • Small modifications to the bosses to make them less unfair.
  • Knuckles can climb walls in SPZ and AGZ to prevent unwinnable situations due to his lower jump height in 2.0.
Version 4.4
  • Added unlockables and upped emblem count to 75.
  • Fixed a bunch of random stuff, and made tweaks where I felt it was appropriate.
  • Removed multiplayer stages.
Version 4.3
  • Revamped Jade Coast 1 so that it's no longer as cramped.
  • Added textures to make it possible to see breakable walls. (Thanks, Blaze!)
  • Added Golden Sands Zone for Race mode.
  • Added two CTF stages, one old and one new.
  • Modified several parts of the game to be a little more forgiving and/or because they were unfair to the player.
Version 4.2
  • Revamped Aerial Garden's emerald stage.
  • Levels no longer reset upon dying. Mystic Temples, falling platforms, and switches stay active after the player has died.
  • Various bugfixes and little tweaks. A certain hidden stage will not crash out the game on level load anymore, among other things.
  • Added something a little special ^_~
Version 4.1
  • Added little modifcations to make characters than cannot spin, such as Amy, capable of completing the game with all emeralds.
  • Added some match stages to the pack.
  • Lots of bugfixes and little tweaks. Hopefully Sunken Plant 2 won't SIGSEGV all the time now.
Version 4.0
  • Added two new three-act zones: Tempest Valley Zone and Sunken Plant Zone.
  • Added seven one-act zones to house each of the chaos emeralds.
  • Added a section for when Sonic has all emeralds on Normal or higher.
  • Added emblems to the stages. Try to get all fifty!
  • Retextured Flame Rift Zone and changed the enemies.
  • Added snow pack to Midnight Freeze and changed the enemies.
  • Revamped Aerial Garden Zone completely.
  • Renamed Crawla Isle Zone to Jade Coast Zone.
  • Removed the original SRB2 levels from the rotation.
  • Added a title screen logo by Blaze. Thanks to a441 for fixing the red stars, as well.
  • Added an original soundtrack by RedXVI and Arrow. Thank you both a ton.
  • Generally altered levels to do various things, from game balance to adding scenery.
Version 3.0
  • Added Midnight Freeze Zone.
  • Retextured Verdant Forest Zone and changed the enemies.
  • Retextured Final Zone, and renamed it.
  • Optimized the levels using DoomBuilder.
  • Fixed a lot of texture problems.
  • Changed the powerups a bit around the levels, mostly adding extra lives.
  • Changed the music, and added custom music for Verdant Forest and Aerial Garden, thanks to Arrow.
  • Renamed the pack AGAIN to "Mystic Realm", where it should stay.
Version 2.0
  • Added Flame Rift Zone.
  • Renamed the pack to "Mystic Way".
Version 1.0
  • Initial Release.

Download Now

File Type: zip scr_mysticrealm.zip (4.56 MB, 12394 views)

Screenshots

Click image for larger version

Name:	mrss1.png
Views:	5062
Size:	37.5 KB
ID:	5391   Click image for larger version

Name:	mrss2.png
Views:	4477
Size:	57.6 KB
ID:	5392   Click image for larger version

Name:	mrss3.png
Views:	4404
Size:	77.3 KB
ID:	5393   Click image for larger version

Name:	mrss4.png
Views:	4457
Size:	73.6 KB
ID:	5394   Click image for larger version

Name:	mrss5.png
Views:	4220
Size:	43.6 KB
ID:	5395  

Click image for larger version

Name:	mrss6.png
Views:	3792
Size:	62.0 KB
ID:	5396   Click image for larger version

Name:	mrss7.png
Views:	3846
Size:	45.6 KB
ID:	5397   Click image for larger version

Name:	mrss8.png
Views:	4607
Size:	10.6 KB
ID:	5398  

Supporters / CoAuthors

Show Your Support

• This addon may not be copied, reproduced or published elsewhere without the author's permission.

Comments
Old 05-14-2017   #102
Ice
Pretty chill guy

So um, are the floors of Starlight Palace Zone supposed to be the orange version of this texture? (And yes, I lost all my rings immediately after this screenshot was taken)
Old 10-29-2019   #103
MR L

It is fun however the main issue would probably be the exploration in the 1st zone. Many people see a 1st zone as a tutorial or a start to the game but in Mystic Realm its very difficult to find even the finish (which I have beaten the final boss no damage on my second try). I would recommend maybe making the 1st zone thinner. However the rest of it has aged quite well

Last edited by MR L; 10-29-2019 at 11:04 PM.
Old 10-30-2019   #104
XleederTH
íReremy

Quote:
Originally Posted by MR L View Post
It is fun however the main issue would probably be the exploration in the 1st zone. Many people see a 1st zone as a tutorial or a start to the game but in Mystic Realm its very difficult to find even the finish (which I have beaten the final boss no damage on my second try). I would recommend maybe making the 1st zone thinner. However the rest of it has aged quite well
It doesn't come to hard if you see it as an expansion to the old game, it really does a good job imagining if SRB2 had other stages 'cause most of the maps are stylized as if they were from the actual game; even some of them are in the actual game!
My point is: You don't need a tutorial if you already played SRB2, this follows the same rules as the main game; not adding new gimmick but following the games as it seems to add new stages.
Old 10-31-2019   #105
Ice
Pretty chill guy

I did always find it kinda odd that the first level leads you to a pool where, if you're like me, you assume the rest of the level is beyond the tunnel under the water. Then you get confused looking for the exit down there and very probably drown. I know it happened to me the first few times I played Mystic Realm, and even sometimes when I came back to Mystic Realm after a while of not playing it.
Old 10-31-2019   #106
Mystic
チェン!

Mystic Realm is really dated level design, so some of the stages have some definite issues with getting lost. Probably the worst is Jade Coast 2 having that spring that leads to a life box directly over the starting area, and if you fall you have to redo basically the entire stage.

I may correct some of the most awful parts someday, but the pack was designed with the intent that it assumes you're just going to explore and figure it out when you get lost, because we all know it's going to happen occasionally.
Old 10-31-2019   #107
Rumia1
Backseat Developer

I must admit that Mystic Realm is one of my least favorite map packs due to how utterly annoying it is at how lost you can get and how often it happened as a first time player, but that doesn't mean there aren't still some cool ideas in here.

I would love to see a remade version someday that not only fixes the poor design choices, but also updates it to modern standards using slopes and whatnot and seeing what you've learned after all this time. I know that's a huge undertaking especially considering what other work you have but I do think it would truly be spectacular to see.

If you were to do anything with this I would reccomend removing pain water from all portions of the pack, it's just such a bad mechanic to begin with...
Old 10-31-2019   #108
Mystic
チェン!

While it would be neat to properly update it, I think at a certain point this is level design from 15 years ago and it shows it in a lot of ways, so that effort would be far better spent on making new content instead. The overuse of pain water is a practical reality of how few features SRB2 had at the time to differentiate stages from each other, and back then I tried to come up with different ways to punish the player in each stage. This is why painful liquids and death pits are so prevalent, and of course heavy enemy usage throughout.

While I certainly won't excuse Midnight Freeze's stupid use of pain on what looks like ordinary water, or Nitric Citadel's literal death pit liquid (which was the worst idea in the entire package), I think it's not surprising that some mechanics got used so much when my toolset was so small, and overall I think I did a decent job of providing as much variety as I could given my limitations at the time. It's just a shame a few of my ideas worked out so badly in hindsight.
Old 10-31-2019   #109
glaber
Emblem Radar Ready

if you won't excuese it for Midnight Freeze, then I will. It's frozen water, what were we suppose to expect in a snow stage?
Old 10-31-2019   #110
Rumia1
Backseat Developer

Umm, non-painful water, like literally every official Sonic title ever. Getting out of water in time for a countdown when you have no air bubbles is a good enough motivator and scary enough as is, adding a constant need to collect rings after you're knocked back in the hurt animation in addition to NEEDING air bubbles is just over the top. When you're good enough at the stage, you should be able to breeze through sections like these. Instead, at any skill level, you're asking the player to have rings in the first place, jump in the water, get MORE rings quick enough so you don't die, and then run towards an air source because in the time it took you to find more rings you've been drowning this whole time.
Old 11-01-2019   #111
Mystic
チェン!

Quote:
Originally Posted by glaber View Post
It's frozen water, what were we suppose to expect in a snow stage?
Obviously it should behave in a manner that everyone expects the same result. It doesn't.

One of the core problems with Mystic Realm overall is that there's no consistency to how hazards behave. It's impossible to tell whether or not something will hurt you until you touch it. For instance, Mudhole Karst features mud that hurts you for some reason, but Verdant Forest features dirty, brown water that doesn't hurt you. One of the key things of a good design is that players will inherently just know that something is bad and they shouldn't touch it. Mystic Realm fails this pretty utterly and completely.

Now, I'm not saying that the design here was inherently flawed from the start. I'm saying that if something was going to hurt you, it should be clearly bad to touch. Lava is the best example of an obviously bad hazard, but spikes, brightly-colored slime, crushers, and bottomless pits are other good examples. Nobody is going to touch any of those and be surprised when bad things happen to them. If I was going to properly correct Mystic Realm, then these issues would be the front and center problems that need to be addressed.
Old 11-04-2019   #112
Ezer.Arch
ArchPack developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystic View Post
For instance, Mudhole Karst features mud that hurts you for some reason,
Too transparent, it looks like dirty water rather than mud. After getting hurt a few times and not figuring out what was that, I used to think it was some sort of hot or boiling water, but the GFZ-esque scenery doesn't match.

Last edited by Ezer.Arch; 11-04-2019 at 07:20 PM.
Old 11-05-2019   #113
Mystic
チェン!

Nah, just supposed to be mud. Oddly transparent, and even more oddly painful, dealing non-elemental damage that triggers the instant you touch it, to boot.

I remember someone recently asked about development history and I didn't remember much, so it might be interesting to dig through old documentation and talk about it, as somebody might find it interesting. Basically the emerald stages were a super late addition and were made super quick. 4.0 didn't even feature Starlight Palace and just had a placeholder room for it. Hence, a lot of the ideas in those stages were really mediocre and undercooked. Some of them actually turned out pretty neat despite that, but Mudhole Karst is a perfect example of just a bad idea being badly implemented.