SRB2 Message Board  

Go Back   SRB2 Message Board > Sonic Robo Blast 2 > Releases > Lua

Classic.wad Returns! Classic Physics (Mostly) Recreated in SRB2! Details »»
Classic.wad Returns! Classic Physics (Mostly) Recreated in SRB2!
Developer Last Online: Mar 2020

Version: SRB2 Rating: (4 votes - 3.40 average)
Released: 12-31-2019 Last Update: Never Installs: 2
Scripts Re-Useable Content

Do you like the classic Sonic quadrilogy? Do feel like you're walking down that giant slope in GFZ2? Do you hate having to wait what seems like an eternity while charging a spindash? Do you still just hate Sonic the Hedgehog in race and want him nerfed? Well Classic.wad is back and may be the solution for you!

Classic.wad was originally intended as an answer to the question of "what if Sonic Team Jr. decided to make SRB2 more like the classic games" with some bug fixes as well, and while some of the changes and bugfixes made have even gotten into vanilla (wow!), the main mechanics of Classic.wad such as momentum and slope acceleration still remain to be implemented, and thus why I've ported this to 2.2!

But what does Classic.wad do exactly? Well my dear reader, look in this spoiler for a list of changes from vanilla!
Spoiler: Vanilla changelog
-Removed Thok
If Cobalt's momentum script is anything to go by, it shows that thok is incredibly overpowered when coupled with classic Sonic-style momentum. Sonic now relies much more heavily on those brand new shield abilities added in 2.2. Don't worry though, I plan to give an alternative to the thok in a future update.

-Added momentum and slope acceleration
This allows most of the cast, except for some of the more unique characters that can't keep up, to utilize slopes and build momentum by running down them!

-Increased rolling acceleration on slopes. *NEW!*
This does what it says on the tin, when rolling down a hill, it is now much more noticable that you're speeding up.

-Changed spindash behavior.
Charging up a spindash has been changed to more closely match the mash style of the Genesis games. Hold down spin and repeatedly press Jump to rev the spindash, It only holds 8 charges this time around and unlike the classics, they don't disappear if you don't mash fast enough.

-Added spindash assist *NEW!*
Spindash Assist is a new feature that is like a midway point between vanilla SRB2's behavior and the new button mash version for those who still struggle with mashing due to keyboard layouts. It's turned on by default but veterans of Classic.wad may wish to turn this feature off, and you can do that by typing "SpindashAssist off" in the console whle in a level!

-Allow rolling when landing after using a midair ability
You can now curl up into a ball automatically if you hold spin, regardless of if you've used your ability or not!

-Remove water skipping/Re-enable Full control when jumping out of a roll
While the latter half of this was already partially implemented in vanilla, I still didn't feel it was enough of a change and this still needed to be added.

-Super Sonic can no longer fly *NEW?!*
I don't even know how I managed to pull this off but I did! I had intended to do this prior to 2.2 but 2.2 just sort of did it for me instead. Thank you.

-Every character can turn super
Are you frustrated that even though you completed the game 100%, got all emblems, and got all emeralds as Tails, only to find that he still can't turn super, even with the in-game cheat? Well now everyone can turn super and none of the devs can stop you!

-Added Amy's hammer jump *NEW!*
Do you miss 2.1 Ros-
... Huh? What do you mean that there's already two other scripts in releases that do this? No I haven't tried them! Dang it this thing is supposed to ship tomo-
Umm.. Do you like Sonic Adventure Amy? Here's a hammer jump for you. Hold down Custom Button 1 and press Spin while running to perform a hammer leap! How high you go is directly tied to your momentum!

-Added classic-style spring-falling animation
One of the first additions to this mod when it started. If you fall after jumping on a spring, your animation changes to the run or walk cycle depending on how fast you're going just like in Sonic 1, 2 and 3!

-Buffed Super and Speedshoes acceleration *NEW!*

"But Rumia," I hear you ask. "What makes this version so different from the last update from 2.1?"
No worries! I've got a changelog here for that as well!
Spoiler: changelog

---V2.1---
-Fixed spring animations for good this time. No more walking frames when being launched by a steam vent or carried by a fan.

-Doubled height/speedcap for Amy's hammer jump nerf while super. If that sounds too confusing, she'll now launch way higher when running fast while super.

-Changed spindash revving captions to look cleaner.

----V2.0----
-Updated all characters to use 2.2's new stat set.
Characters all move faster now than they did previously and can all handle slopes properly.

-Increased rolling acceleration

-Made it so that if you're rolling in analog mode, the spin frames now face the direction you're going instead of the direction you're facing.

-Rewrote the entirety of the Spindash code to be more efficient (Thank you Lach for helping on this!)

-Removed redundant features added to vanilla in 2.2, these include:

--CamAdjust, This was added in the form of Cam_Adjust.
I'm very glad that something of mine inspired the devs to implement this feature into the game!

--New Tails AI with functioning flight assist
This was mostly finished but was scrapped at the last minute due to a far superior AI system being implemented in 2.2! This blew what I was working on out of the water!

--FSonic spindash animation
2.2 added the ability for people to easily create their own spindash frames, so I don't need to supply them anymore.

--Reverted spring animation code to previous version
The spring animation at the end of 2.1 wasn't working correctly for all cases, so I've decided to revert it for now and look for a better solution for checking springs in the future.

Download Now

File Type: zip VL_Classic-v2.1.zip (374.0 KB, 352 views)

Screenshots

Click image for larger version

Name:	ezgif-7-fa34fe19d85e.gif
Views:	678
Size:	3.85 MB
ID:	24789   Click image for larger version

Name:	srb20625.gif
Views:	597
Size:	5.82 MB
ID:	24792   Click image for larger version

Name:	ezgif-7-8291ea284a55.gif
Views:	468
Size:	7.82 MB
ID:	24793   Click image for larger version

Name:	ezgif-7-ab0179869789.gif
Views:	480
Size:	7.63 MB
ID:	24795   Click image for larger version

Name:	srb20626.gif
Views:	384
Size:	6.10 MB
ID:	24796  

Name:	srb20627.gif
Views:	333
Size:	6.59 MB
ID:	24797  

Supporters / CoAuthors

Show Your Support

• The author of this addon has given explicit permission for its content to be re-used and/or reproduced.

Comments
Old 12-31-2019   #2
D00D64
Worst Ranked 'Kart Player

Welcome to releases!

My awful Twitter account

My also awful YouTube channel
D00D64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2020   #3
Jaco Boy

I appreciate that you added universal super forms :D
Jaco Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2020   #4
Goldenhog
Wandering Protagonist

So I guess we now have three scripts that give a hammer jump, three scripts that give everyone super and two scripts that alter how downward slopes work
Goldenhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2020   #5
Rumia1
Backseat Developer

The question is do you need them all in one package or are you content just to pick and choose?
Rumia1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2020   #6
jameds
James
Developer

A great addition (again). And I have more appreciation for this now that the base levels have huge slopes to run down!
jameds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2020   #7
Pyrakid Wolfo

Quadrilogy if we count Sonic and Knuckles and Sonic 3 as 1 game (Sonic 3 & Knuckles)
Sonic CD exists you know

---------- Post added at 09:12 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:57 PM ----------

Also, Insta Shield and Super Peelout will work well with this mod. Also what do you mean "Remove water skipping"... is that when Sonic runs on water? Cause Sonic 3 Hydrocity Zone has that...
Pyrakid Wolfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2020   #8
Rumia1
Backseat Developer

Last I remember (I haven't tried this in 2.2) you could roll onto water and you'd bounce off of it similar to Kart but it kept going until you lost almost all speed, and was super annoying.

Also I suppose you could count CD in there, but I was actually thinking of Mania when I wrote "quadrillogy".
Old 01-02-2020   #9
Pyrakid Wolfo

bruh moment. Theres a drop dash mod too so we can have drop dash, insta shield, and peelout!

You can remove the hearts if you want, that hitbox is super long lasting, and it has more range than it should. But thats just my opinion.

Last edited by Pyrakid Wolfo; 01-02-2020 at 08:53 PM.
Old 01-02-2020   #10
Rumia1
Backseat Developer

I still haven't actually tried any of the other Hammer jump mods, and all I know is that while trying to fix the spindash code for 2.2 I found a bug where setting spindash variables led to going super high when Amy used her hammer. So the hammer jump is using the existing code from her normal hammer.
Old 01-02-2020   #11
Augus

Sonic
Sonic CD
Sonic 2
Sonic 3+K
Sonic Mania

It’s a pentalogy!
Augus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2020   #12
birbhorse
local eevee petter

I actually really like this mod! It's super interesting playing around with this, I especially enjoy the ability to charge up the spindash super quick.
birbhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2020   #13
Pyrakid Wolfo

https://imgur.com/EAmoW4j

Last edited by Pyrakid Wolfo; 01-03-2020 at 06:39 PM.
Old 01-03-2020   #14
glaber
Emblem Radar Ready

Super Mod number 3 now. LOL

This is just Brilliant and not just because of the Super stuff, but because of all the physics tweeks too.

Last edited by glaber; 01-03-2020 at 02:28 PM.
glaber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2020   #15
Rumia1
Backseat Developer

Hi there! It's the Modern Sonic Forces me to update Classic.wad update!

Here's what's new!

------V2.1------

-Fixed spring animations for good this time. No more walking frames when being launched by a steam vent or carried by a fan.

-Doubled height/speedcap for Amy's hammer jump nerf while super. If that sounds too confusing, she'll now launch way higher when running fast while super.

-Changed spindash revving captions to look cleaner.
Old 02-07-2020   #16
Zanda_Sama

Not complaining, but i'm surprised noone's complained about thok not being in. It's as if they know you hate it or something.
Zanda_Sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2020   #17
Zanda_Sama

also this happens
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	srb20054.gif
Views:	79
Size:	7.15 MB
ID:	26277  
Old 2 Days Ago   #18
Frostiikin
Meme Queen Supreme

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zanda_Sama View Post
Not complaining, but i'm surprised noone's complained about thok not being in. It's as if they know you hate it or something.
well i'm boutta change that lmao.
I really don't like the fact that the thok is gone, even if you edit cobalt's momentum mod to give the thok it's vanilla actionspd, it's literally no faster then just doing that "Surfing" thing where you jump as soon as you hit the ground, and surfing is still the better option since its easier to maintain your speed with that. Sonic not having any ability makes him completely useless in this. I'd understand if you'd have given sonic the drop dash or something, but that simply doesn't exist in this version of the mod. The insta-shield is way more useful in 2d where you are actually forced to interact with your enemies, in 3d it's basically pointless most of the time and extremely situational. If you do give him the drop dash, please don't have it be pointy style, make it basically just a thok that puts you into a spin state, aka what mania does, since pointy is being ported to 2.2 anyways.
Frostiikin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 Days Ago   #19
Zanda_Sama

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frostiikin View Post
well i'm boutta change that lmao.
I really don't like the fact that the thok is gone, even if you edit cobalt's momentum mod to give the thok it's vanilla actionspd, it's literally no faster then just doing that "Surfing" thing where you jump as soon as you hit the ground, and surfing is still the better option since its easier to maintain your speed with that. Sonic not having any ability makes him completely useless in this. I'd understand if you'd have given sonic the drop dash or something, but that simply doesn't exist in this version of the mod. The insta-shield is way more useful in 2d where you are actually forced to interact with your enemies, in 3d it's basically pointless most of the time and extremely situational. If you do give him the drop dash, please don't have it be pointy style, make it basically just a thok that puts you into a spin state, aka what mania does, since pointy is being ported to 2.2 anyways.
Rumia's stubborn, they FIRMLY believe the thok is actually stupid and horrible. Just do what I did and remove the "sonic charability = "CA_NONE"" and also the new spindash behavior, like I love the classic games, I loved revving it up, but it doesn't work well in 3D imo unless you can hold DOWN and press jump. Slade is useful :D