SRB2 Doom Builder 2.0

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nice work Kalaron. ;) Never really used DB2 much, so this modded DB2 is an awesome upgrade over SRB2DB.

SRB2 levels created with your DB2 (with slopes) must be played in OpenGL, or can works in SRB2 without OpenGL ? (I think it's a stupid question...but I want my answer anyway.)

Any map with slopes AFAIK must be played in OpenGL or else it won't work.

To exit GZDoom Visual Mode, you have to assign it to a shortcut key in the Preferences (?) menu and then use that key to exit once you're in it. I find it annoying that Esc doesn't automatically get you out of 3D mode.
I find it odd that W doesn't automatically get you out of GZDoom Visual Mode like with regular Visual Mode.

@MonsterIestyn: He thought Ambush and Deaf were two different flags. That's probably why he thought Ambush isn't used for much.

If you check the controls, W is used for Visual mode, not GZDoom Visual mode. Simply add it back in.

Also it seems the 3D Start Thing is needed in most cases. In SRB2DB, if it doesn't find it, the starting position is the first Thing that was added. In SRB2DB2, the X Y and Z are 0x0x0. I thought it froze at first, since the map I used wasn't near that.

Other than that, it's nice to finally use DB2 with Z-positioning for Things and being able to see FOFs, and even slopes. Now I don't have to open it temporarily to move vertices with Floor Textures turned on.

What about a feature that allows you to make sectors with lines crossing others sectors, but they doesn't have any conflict with each other, so that you can make sector over sector without problems? This would ease a lot when you plan on add tons of FOFs, but they all have a little space in common, with that, you wouldn't have to put another sector replacing this common space, just to match the two (or more) FOFs there. I don't know if this would be possible, but certainly would help if it was. It's just a crazy idea anyway.

EDIT: Ah, and also, great job!

What about a feature that allows you to make sectors with lines crossing others sectors, but they doesn't have any conflict with each other, so that you can make sector over sector without problems? This would ease a lot when you plan on add tons of FOFs, but they all have a little space in common, with that, you wouldn't have to put another sector replacing this common space, just to match the two (or more) FOFs there. I don't know if this would be possible, but certainly would help if it was. It's just a crazy idea anyway.
That's just part of how Doom's map format works. No map editor can change that. But at least in SRB2DB2, you can draw the second FOF over the first without having the linedefs cross, because SRB2DB2 automatically inserts vertices wherever two linedefs cross.

Last edited:
So, I've just tried out SRB2DB2 here, and it generally seems okay - I was impressed at how quickly it could load ERZ2 compared to SRB2DB.

I have a few things to point out though:

1. Where is the "Switch Map" button, that button used to view another map within the same wad file?

2. How do I change the default flats/textures to automatically place in a newly created sector?

3. Looking at those new SRB2CB sector effects probably not yet in SRB2CB itself, I've noticed that 514 - Water Current Slide (Without Jump) = Damage (Water) + Wind/Current. Now see, THZ1/THZ2's slime water with currents happen to use this exact combo, so...

That's just part of how Doom's map format works. No map editor can change that. But at least in SRB2DB2, you can draw the second FOF over the first without having the linedefs cross, because SRB2DB2 automatically inserts vertices wherever two linedefs cross.

Actually, with some work, it's possible to extend the map format and add a mode that works between SRB2CB and SRB2DB2 that separates FOFs into layers which you could sort through in the 2D map editor, this could remove a lot of the confusion of where FOFs are on a map and might even make it possible to have a true 3D kind of map format - Because FOFs could be created as sectors over another sector without any dependence on the bottom area.

Such a feature would have to be a CB only because we could optimize the game by saving FOFs as part of the actual MAP format. That way the game doesn't have to go through the trouble of recalculating every FOF every frame(which would be a speedup for FOF-intense maps). And using an OpenGL system, this would mean even more speed gains as we could create OpenGL display lists/vertex buffer objects to make things run even faster
(and before any map extended is done, the game needs to add UDMF support too)

I've noticed that 514 - Water Current Slide (Without Jump) = Damage (Water) + Wind/Current. Now see, THZ1/THZ2's slime water with currents happen to use this exact combo, so...

Really? I didn't notice that, tell me if any other sector effect combinations are already used.
(By the way, I was sneaky - I added more sector effects by using slots that didn't seem to be used (like damage+exit sector))

Last edited:
Where is the "Flags Value" box in the Things properties window? A few Things use the flags value for some purpose, so it's mandatory to have it there. Also, am I blind or are there no rotate/resize tools? That would be a very serious bummer.

EDIT: Pressing E helps. No idea why this option isn't anywhere to be found in the menus.

Last edited:
MORE TIPS:
  • When you select multiple sectors in the 3D map editor, you can actually edit the height of multiple sectors at the same time!

So you can, for example, select multiple sectors that make up some stairs, and make them all of the selected sectors scroll up and down in the right proportion. This can seriously save a lot of time when making a map!
  • There's an undo/redo panel on the right side of the map editor, mouse over to get a detailed list of everything you changed in a map - all the way back to when the file was last opened!
  • You can copy-paste parts of other maps into each other just like before - And it even supports copy-pasting between different map formats (could be handy if something like UDMF comes around)

You actually can do rotations and flipping like the old SRB2DB1, but this is actually MORE powerful:

1. Select any object or group of objects - a sector, a linedef, or a group of map objects, or any combination.
  2. Press E - A box will appear around your selection allowing you to move or transform anything selected.
  3. A new panel will appear on the right of the map editor window called "Edit Selection" - mouse over this panel to show options to rotate, and scale the selection - You have an option for both horizontal and vertical scaling as well now!

More pictures should be added to this topic or a wiki page should be made to make these descriptions clearer

Last edited:
Um, there's a pretty big problem with SRB2DB2.
When previewing textures, you are shown ALL textures, no matter if it's a wall or flat, you get shown all of them (flats AND textures).
This can cause some large issues, as what I just had. I was using the Asset Pack and wasn't aware my texture was actually a flat, so it was REDWALL'd.
This may need to be fixed, as I believe this wasn't in the previous version of DB2.

Actually - that's not a bug, the next version of SRB2CB is going to add support for mixing flats an textures, I forgot to fix that for vanilla SRB2 - you can edit the vanilla srb2 config to turn it off easily - just change mixtexturesflats = true; to mixtexturesflats = false;

Oh, so that's what the section was. I was quite confused by that when I saw it. Thanks for clearing that up.

Getting a problem here. It keeps saying: unhandled exception has occurred in your application, no matter what i do.

Last edited:
Well, we've been having some troubles. I and other people on IRC.

If I load a large map, like Mill Citadel Zone 2, the SRB2DB2 will crash on map test with the message "This level has no sectors".

If I load a small map, the SRB2DB2 will try to test the map, but no matter I do, the game will always start in GFZ1 and I'm forced to use MAP command. This happens in SRB2 exe and CB.

Maybe we're missing something in the configs. Any help is appreciated.

EDIT:

Even setting "ZenNode - normal" in Nodebuilder for both vanilla and CB CFGs, it won't work.

ZSdpf.png

Last edited:
Finally, a stable version of SRB2 Doom Builder.

Edit: Never mind, I answered my own questions. Seems like the SRB2Riders DB Config doesn't work on SRB2DB2.

Last edited:
So is there really any difference between this version of Doom Builder 2 and the version that's on CodeImp's website, or can I just toss the config files into my normal DB2 install and use it with the GZDoom 3D Mode plugin that I already have there? I'd rather the latter be the case, considering that'd make things a lot easier for me to keep track of. (Hey, let's make an SRB2 map with Doom Buil- whoops wrong install)

Especially since a new DB2 version just came out.

So is there really any difference between this version of Doom Builder 2 and the version that's on CodeImp's website, or can I just toss the config files into my normal DB2 install and use it with the GZDoom 3D Mode plugin that I already have there? I'd rather the latter be the case, considering that'd make things a lot easier for me to keep track of. (Hey, let's make an SRB2 map with Doom Buil- whoops wrong install)

Especially since a new DB2 version just came out.

Just try it, let's see if you can spot the difference :P

Heh, yeah, there is a difference, regular DB won't save the Z values or show FOFs or slopes even with the config, but how come you can't just use an SRB2DB2 install? It should work fine as a regular doom engine editor too...unless it doesn't for some reason?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back