Resource icon
This content may be freely modified and/or maintained by anyone.

fickleheart

ms reflec beat stan
Here is a script designed to enhance the Circuit experience.

what Circuit Redux is

A more flexible approach to defining progress, with waypoints that dictate respawn location and position tracking.

An approach to position tracking that tells you exactly how far ahead or behind your opponents you are.

A system for checkpoint abuse prevention, with mechanisms in place to set a player's starpost count back if they run backwards through the track.

Completely reusable. Embed it in your own Circuit map packs!

what Circuit Redux is not

A drop-in revamp that works with all Circuit maps. Maps must be designed to support Circuit Redux.

A completely fool-proof system. Some care should be taken with the positions of starposts to ensure that they cannot be skipped, and that the track is adequately sectioned out to prevent both respawn skips and accidental backtracking.

A full pack. This is intended for mappers to design for in their own circuit maps.

what you get

There are two files in the ZIP:
VL_CircuitRedux.lua is the actual script you need if you're embedding this in your own addons.
VRL_CircuitReduxTest.wad is a sample track to demonstrate the system in action. It has the Lua script embedded, so you don't need to load both. (But importantly, you can load both without issues.)

how to use this

This script uses Fang Waypoints to define tracking progress, while starposts are still used to mark laps as completed.

• The starpost angle is not used, so it's recommended to set this to 0/360/720/etc directly to make locating them in the editor easier.
  • You only really need one or two starposts in a map designed for Circuit Redux, but they're used to section off waypoints as well. More than 15 are not supported.
  • The angle of the Fang Waypoint determines its position in the overall waypoint sequence. Branching paths are not supported at this time. You can skip numbers as long as the waypoints all go in ascending order and there are no duplicates.
  • The parameter of the Fang Waypoint is used to denote which starpost the waypoint is for. This is 1-based, so the first starpost's waypoint has a parameter of 1. If the parameter is 0, this value is inherited from the previous waypoint, so you don't have to set it on every waypoint.
  • By default, additional waypoints are spawned in between this waypoint and the next one. You usually want this since it improves position tracking, but if the path goes over a pit or damage sector and you don't want it tracked, use the Ambush (Center Waypoint) flag.
  • The fourth-to-last waypoint in a starpost section is denoted as the "backtrack marker". If the player has touched the next starpost, but comes closer to this waypoint, then they will be deducted one starpost count.
  • Type `circredux_debug On` in the console and reload your map to see the full waypoint path, color-coded by starpost sections. This is useful to ensure the pathing is accurate, backtrack points are in good positions, and sections are used appropriately to prevent waypoint skips.

additional stuff

`circredux_debug On/Off`: Toggles debug mode. Admins only.
`circredux_tracker On/Off`: Toggles the position tracker along the bottom of the screen.
`circredux_ranks On/Off`: Toggles the detailed ranking list along the right side of the screen.

If you'd like to make a HUD mod for Circuit Redux, instead of modifying the script itself, have your script define `circredux.HUD_OVERRIDE = true` to disable Circuit Redux's HUD changes.

Thanks to testers: tealsummernights, PencilVoid, Casey, HattyBoyo

Attachments

• srb20265.png
    srb20265.png
    54.3 KB · Views: 747
  • srb20268.png
    srb20268.png
    34.7 KB · Views: 601
  • srb20269.png
    srb20269.png
    66 KB · Views: 570
  • VL_CircuitRedux-v1.zip
    12 KB · Views: 787
Last edited:
I seem to have gotten an eror message when I loaded the test map, but not the Lua by itself, which is the focus here. It can go into releases, but I would rather you fix he error message from appearing.

I absolutely love this (and have made a pack utilizing this if you haven't already seen it), so much so that I only have one piece of criticism: I dislike that it makes checkpoints invisible. I'd like an option to not make this happen, and maybe even indicator icons at the bottom of the HUD telling you where the checkpoints are. Everything else about this pack is great and am impressed by the fact that there are no custom graphics for this at all.

I agree with Zolton that the invisible checkpoints are really annoying.
Today I ran into an issue with a map where I was missing a checkpoint every lap, but I didn't know where it was.

Also, the fact that it messes with other maps in the server that do not support this lua is something that should change IMO.

I'm willing to make those changes myself, if you give me permission.
EDIT: Since this mod is marked as reusable, am I correct in my assumption that I can just change it myself and use that version? If not, please send me a message.

Last edited:
Could you perhaps consider providing an option to make Circuit mode it's own gamemode so it can be used with MapVote without including the base race maps?

Could you perhaps consider providing an option to make Circuit mode it's own gamemode so it can be used with MapVote without including the base race maps?

That would conflict with maps that aren't designed around the script and would prevent it from being optional, in those maps that advertise that functionality without forcing you to use it.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back