[Open Assets] Xkower's NPC (More than SF94-Serv)

This content may be freely modified and/or maintained by anyone.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Xkower8181

Hi It's me again aka Xkower and today I think it's time to finally to release my greatest creation ever... THE NPCs and yes I got this idea from SF94-Serv but it's more than it's base and I build it from scratch.

Also by the way it map number is 1416 (1417 for pushable and match ones) and it's SOC Object name is MT_NPC (MT_PNPC for pushable ones and MT_MATCHNPC for match ones) and there is test map included in first zip file.

• 1.0 - First Release
  • 1.5 - Fixed bug with NPC kepping spinning on convelvol belts and added spring frames also if NPC touches Level End Sign it ends the stage like player does
  • 1.6 - fixed NPC actually not having ability to end the level
  • 1.7 - removed the finishing scipt because it had it's problems
  • 1.8 - First fixed bug with errors spilled out loud in console because flying out rings, then there no ring cloning, no hurt momentum getting transfered to jump and that's it.
  • 1.8.5 - Added Solid NPCs to defualt wad and a "addnpc" command also release of Match NPCs (as a standalone wad check "Known Issues" why)
  • 1.8.5.5 - quick fixed the addnpc command
  • 1.9 - NPCs are now capable of collecting ring they spilled and other players n npcs too

• 1.0 - Initial Release
  • 2.0 -Match NPCs can now shoot weapon rings (only bomb and bounce ring, other coming soon). Now they can steal your precious rings when you lose them. I added an action that removes the rings they collected when they are shoot and added soc files that can make the emerald spawners into Match NPC spawners and another soc file that makes Match NPCs solid and pushable.

Features

So now let's list the unique features (since everything that SF94-Serv NPCs had is here)
  • Jumping (Which can destroy enemies,bosses,etc)
  • Player like ring collecting physics (able to collect rings for itself and when it gets hurt it spills them all over the place)
  • Ability to use springs
  • All colors are avalible for NPCs
  • "addnpc" this command allows to spawn NPCs with whatever type you want (normal for normal ones,push for solid ones)
Match NPCs also have their fair share of neat features.

Match NPC Exclusive Functions

• Hunting for rings,players,weapons,etc
  • Player-like ring shooting mechanics (when they shoot a ring they lose it)
  • They can use the Bomb Ring and the Bounce Ring and the Rail Ring make them shoot standard red ring
  • "npcspawner.soc" changer the places where emeralds spawn into spawners of Match NPCs
  • "pushbots.soc" makes Match NPCs solid and pushable
But like everything they also have their bugs and issues

• They are not compatible with SF94-Serv!
  • Solid NPCs can crush you when at high speeds (GOD command is only known way to prevent this)
  • Do not mix Match NPCs with normal ones since they are not compatible yet
  • Please be nice and report more issues!

Everything in the spoiler down below should not be reported as bugs as they either a side effect of how NPCs work or it's purely how it's supposed to be.

• Due to how ring disappearing works with NPCs rings disappear faster
  • Due to nature of the script you cannot choose which character or color that NPC will be as they choose it themself

There well some plans to upgrade the list of NPCs to play with and update those that are already out!

Planned Features
  • Match NPC (Basiclly a NPC that is designed to be fighted with in Match Mode) IN WORKS!
  • Following NPCs (They are like a bot in co-op SRB2JTE aka when you walk they walk after you when you jump they jump and so on) IN WORKS! kinda...
  • Support for custom characters (WARNING this may not work with every character but it is DONE)
  • Not spawning too many npcs using npcpspawner.soc ( or it's replacement...?)
  • Ammo,panel and having all kinds of rings at the same time system for Match NPCs (DONE)
  • Drowning,invincibility after being hurt and all these kinds of timers.
  • Comments for these who are going to edit the wad for their use
  • Bug fixes
  • Ideas are welcome!

Notes
I have permission for all the Lua scripts used in the wad also if you like to edit the wad please give credit to me and all people who helped me with wad also there no comments in wad but I'm going to add them soon

Attachments

• srb20013.png
    srb20013.png
    44.7 KB · Views: 3,523
  • srb20015.png
    srb20015.png
    31.6 KB · Views: 3,385
  • srb20017.png
    srb20017.png
    24.2 KB · Views: 3,107
  • Standard NPCs.zip
    3.3 KB · Views: 2,502
  • Match NPCs.zip
    3.5 KB · Views: 2,200
Last edited:
Oh right I should say welcome to releases or something it's been like 6 hours

Welcome to Releases!

Early update for some minor bugs! (please check changelog in the first post)
EDIT: I fixed the bug that don't allowed NPCs to end the level if they had to.

Last edited:
As of now, they end the level if they touch a player/another NPC.

They also bleed working end signs if they get hit.

Last edited:
I know it is weird to have NPCs turning people and each other into signs... But i do have to say that i see potential in that feature, and i also find it slightly amusing.

...But the map does have very sticky walls.

Last edited:
NPCs can clone rings. This was tested on THZ3 which has only 8 rings and as you can see... there are more than 8 rings. *8 NPCs, 1 ring for each.*
npcringclone.gif
The rings that they drop also don't disappear which could lag the game if there's too many of them.

Umm i got a question how do i add in the npc after i addfile it. Like which command do i need to use.

Last edited:
Type in "objectplace" and cycle through Mobjs types using the turn camera commands until the RINGS HUD that tells the Thing Number in object place says "1416", which is, by the Main post, the NPC's ThingNumber. (I guess you'll reach it faster by cycling the objects backwards, if you see what I mean.)

NPCs can clone rings. This was tested on THZ3 which has only 8 rings and as you can see... there are more than 8 rings. *8 NPCs, 1 ring for each.*
npcringclone.gif
The rings that they drop also don't disappear which could lag the game if there's too many of them.
I knew this problem and for disappering i just need to add MF2_BOUNCERING to make them disappear but I have no idea how to add that flag to fling rings for just NPCs also I just no idea why the hell those rings clone since when they get hurt they ring number is suposted to go zero not 8 or whatever that number of rings is....

Type in "objectplace" and cycle through Mobjs types using the turn camera commands until the RINGS HUD that tells the Thing Number in object place says "1416", which is, by the Main post, the NPC's ThingNumber. (I guess you'll reach it faster by cycling the objects backwards, if you see what I mean.)
Thank you for the info

I knew this problem and for disappering i just need to add MF2_BOUNCERING to make them disappear but I have no idea how to add that flag to fling rings for just NPCs also I just no idea why the hell those rings clone since when they get hurt they ring number is suposted to go zero not 8 or whatever that number of rings is....

I do believe checking the source of those fling Rings will help you, perhaps?

It would be nice if you guys brought back the "addbot" command from JTE, Cineblast, and CB. Also, would seeing NPCs for custom characters like Rosy, Metal Sonic, and Shadow be a possibility in the future?

If you think about it, the Addbot command could be a better replacement than using objectplace in terminal or SP (And because I love bots in SRB2)

Personally, i think the command name "addnpc" would be better for this wad,
Especially if there are gonna be actual bots that are gonna follow/shoot you in the future, for which the "addbot" command would be used.

Especially if there are gonna be actual bots that are gonna follow/shoot you in the future?
Yes I'm working on this sort of concept (From Match NPCs I can make following NPCs because how their walking system works also can be slightly remade for other types of NPCs.
Also here's list of planned NPC types:
  • Match NPC (he's going to automaticly go for rings and try to shot you down)
  • Following NPCs (he's like a bot in co-op SRB2JTE aka when you walk they walk after you when you jump they jump and so on)
  • Pro NPCs (Those guys can do all the single player levels them self but I don't think i can do them alone :P)
  • Race NPCs (They are just going to race against you selfexplanatory. Maybe I will co-op with Tamkis to do most of idea above)

EDIT:
News!
Sorry for being kinda mute but I work on NPCs hard but I fixed two major bugs
  • The bug where NPCs were cloning rings
  • The bug where NPC's rings were not disappearing and here's a gif of the bug fix in unrealesed version
fKnXQuS.gif
Also for these who are interested in other types of NPCs here's a little preview on Match NPCs
OLiGJ8l.gif
I think the update was great and see you next time!
EDIT2:
Yes i'm going to fix the bug where NPC jump backwards after being hit by anything (FIXED) and of course any other bugs like NPC's "death jump" has low gravity in water. (FIXED)
EDIT3:
Actually I added new feature that is the npc splash when they go to water and maybe i'm going to add teleporting suport too.
edit4:
Well that's alot of edits and I removed an feature once again (the splashing by the way) also I had a ban from computers so I could work that much :P

Last edited:
I knew that it took to long to make here it is NPC_RV1.8!
Stuff that changed you must check in changelog.

Well of things that coming soon well Match NPCs are nearly ready for first release and pretty soon normal NPCs wont stick to walls with superglue!

Actually let's list things I want to do for next version
  • Match NPCs Release
  • No SuperGlueWalls (tm)
  • Description for both of NPCs Lua and SOC for modders
  • Well now I don't have any more ideas but you can give some ;)

Last edited:
Personally, I think the command name "addnpc" would be better for this wad,
Especially if there are gonna be actual bots that are gonna follow/shoot you in the future, for which the "addbot" command would be used.
Yeah, that's a good idea as we don't need to have Terminal v1.1's "spawnobject" or SRB2's debug "objectplace" command to spawn it for us. This is just to use this separately.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back