Wido the Wild

Wido the Wild 1.2

Princess Plushima

Princess of Dreams
Judge
Princess Draykon submitted a new resource:

Wido the Wild - "How can you not feel it? This is what the world is SUPPOSED to be..."

View attachment 44962

Wido the Wild, the enemy of the Algorithm appears in SRB2!

They are a flow oriented character, with the unique ability to hit enemies with a hockey stick. They have three core abilities:

Hockey Stick
View attachment 44959
Tap the spin key when near enemies to perform a horizontal slash on them. Tap it when no enemies are in range to perform a diving spin attack. You can steer your the horizontal slash slightly with the movement...​

Read more about this resource...

THERES WALL RUNNING!?!?!? HOW AM I JUST NOW HEARING ABOUT THIS!?!?!? IM LITERALLY DOWNLOADING THIS AS SOON AS I CAN

I had fun playing through this but I think I found a bug.
I don't know if this is intentional or not, but I found that would can use the homing hockey stick attack to attack through walls if you are close enough to the enemy.
Though great job on the mod my man!
Post automatically merged:

Same thing with monitors as well.

bro I'm afraid I found an error that does not allow to run any of the avilities in android

There is a solution

srb20006.gif

How much coding did it take for you to do the wall running?
I actually kept track of the major roadblocks and problems I ran into when coding it:
  • The difference between a line and a line segment (P_ClosetsPointOnLine() isn't as useful for tracking wall positions as you might assume, at least on its own)
  • Overflow errors caused by not being careful with fixed point math.
  • Trying to check for wall collision using a sample object (It's how SOC based wall detection worked, and how a few 2.2 mods do it, but it really isn't precise enough to run a check every frame)
  • Switching to checking for wall collision by just comparing floor heights, ceiling heights, and iterating through the fof list, but forgetting to check for FF_SOLID, thereby allowing you to run on water fofs, even when inside that very same water fof.
  • Forgetting to check for F_SKY floors and ceilings until after initiating the wallrun, thereby allowing you to walljump off of skyboxes
  • Trying to snap the camera while in simple mode, which caused some kind of ungodly mathematical seizure I don't fully understand.
To say nothing of the endless typos and number tweaking.
bro I'm afraid I found an error that does not allow to run any of the avilities in android

There is a solution

View attachment 45016
I have to be honest. I have no idea where to even begin to debug android compatibility. I didn't even realize it was meaningfully different @.@

I have to be honest. I have no idea where to even begin to debug android compatibility. I didn't even realize it was meaningfully different
Being honest I was also surprised that this will happen since generally all mods work the same on all platforms so I still don't know why the mod didn't work

I have absolutely no clue how the wallrunning works and Metal is very frustrating to fight when the homing hockey attack sends him flying off the stage.

Gave Wido a play in Arid Canyon Zone to see how the wall running feels, and the first thing I noticed is that I absolutely hate going straight up. You just kind of suddenly stop after a moment. The second thing I noticed is that I hate going upwards with the wall running in general, excluding wall jumps. The third thing I noticed was that running straight ahead while wall running was really satisfying. Running through ACZ 1 and 2 was super fun, and getting stuck on the bottom of the stages only to just keep wall-running and jumping ahead was thrilling! The forth thing I noticed is that wall jumping was pretty powerful if you keep the momentum going. In fact, I'm pretty sure you can just keep gaining height from wall-jumping off a straight wall, though you can't turn the other way unless you find another wall or something... at least, not normally.
The fifth and final thing I noticed is that Wido can re-direct momentum a bit too easily with wall-running. Pick Wilo, find a suitable wall, prepare to wall-run, then turn the camera around before you hit the wall. When Wido touches the wall, the character speeds off in the direction the camera faces instead of the direction Wido is actually going(at least in standard mode). With this, you can keep gaining height forever just off a wall that's wide enough. Wall jump, change direction, wall jump, change direction, etc. Might be a bug?
Overall, very fun from what I've played!

the first thing I noticed is that I absolutely hate going straight up. You just kind of suddenly stop after a moment.
That's because you need some speed to actually going up, look
If you try running, you'll get farther, AND if you got the runshoes, you can go almost Infinitely at full speed without losing stamina!
Try it:wonderful:

Attachments

• srb20037.gif
    srb20037.gif
    1.7 MB · Views: 145
That's because you need some speed to actually going up, look
If you try running, you'll get farther, AND if you got the runshoes, you can go almost Infinitely at full speed without losing stamina!
Try it:wonderful:
I am aware of momentum letting you go further, I was just trying to say it bugged me how quickly you stop moving upwards even WITH lots of momentum, followed by a jump that usually just kinda goes nowhere, whereas wall-running even just a little bit towards horizontally seems to not only get you more height but also tends to keep you moving forward, which you can usually follow up with jumping towards another wall, letting the airtime restore your speed, and using that speed to go even higher up walls.
Honestly, it makes sense for wallrunning to be more effective horizontally, but going straight up always feels like a terrible idea. That said, it was something that irked me more when I didn't figure out how to avoid moving upwards while wall-running.
Also, just tried the runshoes, and yeah that's kind of crazy. I'm pretty sure you go at least ten times as fast as Knuckles goes up walls with that, it's absurd.

The heck kind of species is Wild anyway?
Post automatically merged:

I really like the detail where your hockey stick attack changes depending on what shield you have, for example, if you have that Fire and Water shield, then the attack will have little fire particles.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back