Why is their not a port of srb2 to Xbox

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sironic

Hello first thread here and I have a question why has this game not been ported to Xbox 1/Series consoles. I am not a coder but don't you just have to copy and paste the code and music, and for distribution you could ask gamr13, the guy who ported sonic time twisted, the sonic 1 and 2 Christian Whitehead remakes (before origins also not accessible due to origin I think) and the sonic 1 and 2 SMS remakes. You could also port it to retail mode. There are also ways to get mods on Xbox. So could anyone explain why their isn't a Xbox port?

simple as, there isn't an xbox port because nobody has made an xbox port. besides, there's way more to porting a game to another console than just copy-pasting the assets, there's a ton more to take into account since they're completely different hardware.

What SilverVortex said, plus you'd need a license from Microsoft to publish the game in the Microsoft Store and I hear those licenses are real expensive. Most consoles that SRB2 has been ported to are able to be jailbroken, and therefore you could easily sideload the game removing a need for a license. To my knowledge, nobody has managed to jailbreak an Xbox One.
Hello first thread here and I have a question why has this game not been ported to Xbox 1/Series consoles. I am not a coder but don't you just have to copy and paste the code and music, and for distribution you could ask gamr13, the guy who ported sonic time twisted, the sonic 1 and 2 Christian Whitehead remakes (before origins also not accessible due to origin I think) and the sonic 1 and 2 SMS remakes. You could also port it to retail mode. There are also ways to get mods on Xbox. So could anyone explain why their isn't a Xbox port?

simple as, there isn't an xbox port because nobody has made an xbox port. besides, there's way more to porting a game to another console than just copy-pasting the assets, there's a ton more to take into account since they're completely different hardware.
Well I guess there is a lot more to porting a game but an Xbox is just a windows computer running a different OS
Post automatically merged:

What SilverVortex said, plus you'd need a license from Microsoft to publish the game in the Microsoft Store and I hear those licenses are real expensive. Most consoles that SRB2 has been ported to are able to be jailbroken, and therefore you could easily sideload the game removing a need for a license. To my knowledge, nobody has managed to jailbreak an Xbox One.
Like I said gamr13 he's done it before with other fan games I forgot to say this earlier but he's doing this on a retail Xbox not jail broken. On the topic of jailbroken there is a way to jailbreak an Xbox kinda That is supported by Microsoft (I know a company supporting jailbreaking is not common) Microsoft made an app a long time ago called Xbox Dev kit which literally allows you to jailbreak an Xbox.

Last edited:
Even if Sonic Team Junior could afford such a license, they still would not be able to bring SRB2 to the Xbox because of the GPL (since the consoles are a generally closed platform). Last I read, indie developers who want to make an Xbox or Playstation game are forced to use a small handful of approved game engines such as Unity and Unreal, and that is only the first hoop that a new dev. has to jump through.

You don't need to use a popular premade engine. Just don't use a GPL one

Btw I know that the Xbox Series have developer mode that share some functionalities with jailbreak(like homebrew loading). Does the Xbox One have it too?

So could anyone explain why their isn't a Xbox port?
Probably because nobody felt like it. Learning how to port to a new target device can be complex, and not everyone has the know-how (or the effort to spend learning this know-how) on porting to a 8 year old console.
Besides, there aren't that many people that want to port a Sonic fangame to the Xbox.

I don't see why would anyone want a port of SRB2 for the Xbox in the first place. Nostalgia?

Both Windows and XBox are made by Microsoft so I don't see why it's that hard. Other than the fact that Microsoft might need to approve SRB2 being put into the Microsoft store.

Even if Sonic Team Junior could afford such a license, they still would not be able to bring SRB2 to the Xbox because of the GPL (since the consoles are a generally closed platform). Last I read, indie developers who want to make an Xbox or Playstation game are forced to use a small handful of approved game engines such as Unity and Unreal, and that is only the first hoop that a new dev. has to jump through.
I mean, we could recreate the game entirely using one of those engines. It'll be pretty hard though.

Just because they're made by Microsoft doesn't mean they work the same way. It's like saying SRB2 should work on the Dreamcast because the game works on windows and the dreamcast is compatible with Windows CE.

Both Windows and XBox are made by Microsoft so I don't see why it's that hard. Other than the fact that Microsoft might need to approve SRB2 being put into the Microsoft store.

I mean, we could recreate the game entirely using one of those engines. It'll be pretty hard though.
Windows is an operating system, a piece of software. Xbox is a console, a piece of hardware.

ummmm acktually, Srb2 got ported to nintendo switch, and nintendo switch is actually hardware. 🤓🤓🤓🤓🤓🤓🤓
My point had nothing to do with it being "hardware." A PC is hardware. I was saying that Microsoft's software is not the same as its hardware.

SRB2 is a free and open source project. Anyone with the skill, will, and time to make ot can make it. A port to [your computer/console here] does not exist because no one fitting that description has appeared to put the work in.

As for Xbox specifically, it's my understanding that newer Xbox consoles can run Windows-native apps if you follow the right steps (and spend some money, I believe?), so you should look into that if you're desperate to play SRB2 on Xbox. I can tell you for sure that STJr has no interest in distributing SRB2 for any machines other than Mac & Windows for a myriad of reasons I don't have time to go into here, so it's either do it yourself or wait for someone else to do it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back