Why does everyone hate the srb2 gamebanana?

It's better than nothing, that's for sure. As much as I don't mind having the final versions of my work be ported forward by other people, I can see the big gray area of fair use causing problems in the modding scene. They'll have their ways of dealing with things, so it makes sense for you to have yours.

I'm personally rather neutral on this matter.
The reusability rules here historically have sucked ass for a while as well, and that didn't help the issue.

For the sake of walking on the safe side of the line we always interpreted "non-reusable" as "completely no edits, not even for maintenance/porting". But that's really lacking as a system because most people (like you, and I, too) are completely fine with people maintaining our work -- especially in the future when we're long-gone from the community.

Did you see the changes to the whole system that got implemented in the past few weeks? (i.e. getting rid of "reusable or not?" and letting people pick more specific choices) I think they're a lot more sensible and get rid of the annoying gray area. Sev and I both got around to brainstorming those the other day, but we had planned to do it since we moved the forum to the Xenforo platform.

The reusability rules here historically have sucked ass for a while as well, and that didn't help the issue.

For the sake of walking on the safe side of the line we always interpreted "non-reusable" as "completely no edits, not even for maintenance/porting". But that's really lacking as a system because most people (like you, and I, too) are completely fine with people maintaining our work -- especially in the future when we're long-gone from the community.

Did you see the changes to the whole system that got implemented in the past few weeks? (i.e. getting rid of "reusable or not?" and letting people pick more specific choices) I think they're a lot more sensible and get rid of the annoying gray area. Sev and I both got around to brainstorming those the other day, but we had planned to do it since we moved the forum to the Xenforo platform.
But the fact that gamebanana did publish this out of nowhere, someone did for it's some reason. Plus when I swear this didn't at all, I was totally 100% wrong about this. They did had srb2 in this...

I haven't seen them yet, but now that the option is there, I will definitely look into it. I was planning on making final versions of my characters re-usable anyway.

Also, considering how you've had your hands full with all kinds of other stuff including the cleanup work, the delay is understandable. (There was also the random chinese hacker that either I or someone else thankfully reported forward before it became a problem.)

We have several measures in place to combat ban evasion. They tend to work pretty well, although things do occasionally slip through the cracks.

We have several measures in place to combat ban evasion. They tend to work pretty well, although things do occasionally slip through the cracks.
The way I see it you guys to an amazing job at keeping things fair. I remember back in the day when I made a VERY small grammer mistake I got a warning that I'd be banned if I did this to many times. Hard times are gone the Community is stronger than ever thanks to and your team bro thanks you!! Nothing but love from this Anime loving brother!!

Anyhow, hate is a strong word. I'm not sure who "hates" it or gets that emotional about it in any way, not anyone I know of -- but then I have seen random people be weirdly heated about it sometimes.

What I can tell you is why gamebanana links are banned here though!

We (and by we I mean all the Sonic Team Junior developers and staff members) all agree that the kind of community we like the most is one where people have the option to share their art without others digging into the files and posting edits of it without their permission.

It's not some moral standard -- there's no law stopping people from editing something they found on the internet. But it is a social contract, a "you respect my personal boundaries and I'll respect yours" kind of thing. We value it a lot, and a lot of other people apparently do, too. Legality matters aside, sometimes people just get bummed and discouraged from having other people edit or copy their work without permission, and that's natural and I can't really blame them for that.

Since we want people to feel encouraged and generally respected here, we made the rule of not editing others' works without permission. And in the same spirit, we don't allow links to places that allow that (or allow it on the master server).

I'm gonna guess if people are getting heated and emotional because they're bothered by places like Gamebanana existing, they're either being overzealous like it's some sort of deep moral issue, or they're personally upset by having their stuff edited without their permission and uploaded there.
yeah, it's not FULL of portlegs, but there are quite an amount of them.
essentially, gamebanana is basically the srb2 skybase 2 (but it has more portlegs) RIP Skybase btw

Just chipping in to establish beyond any doubts that I have thought Mystic was a shitty person since shortly after I joined the dev team. I didn't pay much attention back in IRC days, but working with him one-on-one quickly taught me about the abysmally poor quality of his character. Fuck him. I have done my best in my administrative position to never pull anything nearly as egregious as he did.
That’s kinda harsh to say to mystic but still he was a bitch back then.

I hate it because theres mods that look like they were made by 5 years old kids and the second reason is because there are stolen mods

The only thing i can come up with is that SRB2 Gamebanana page shuld be DELETED. Im the user of it,and i will do it for the sake of people not making cringe and stolen mods anymore.

If they want to make an addon for this fangame,there only destination will be SRB2MB

The way I see it you guys to an amazing job at keeping things fair. I remember back in the day when I made a VERY small grammer mistake I got a warning that I'd be banned if I did this to many times. Hard times are gone the Community is stronger than ever thanks to and your team bro thanks you!! Nothing but love from this Anime loving brother!!

...That sounds about right, honestly.

And by that I mean it checks out with my memory of just how fucking strict they were. I think I even got an infraction once when I made a passing remark about the topic that I thought was contributing to it, and I got warned for necroposting.

Was the first and only infraction I've ever suffered, because once I got it, I think I just stopped posting on the MB altogether. Didn't want to occurr any further risks of my account getting banned simply because I wasn't being a "good boy" in their eyes.

on an off topic, the only gamebanana mod I've seen worth mentioning is the USA classic sonic one although it might be abandoned by now, its just sonic but he has metal's mock run, and a more forgiving jump thok, but I had fun with the character

Last edited:
I mean the workshop as unlike game banana, the workshop actively encourages port legging and will not take down stolen mods even when the actual author requests it.
i think the reason is cause too much pizza tower there is less of that than normal mods and if your looking for pizza tower mods for srb2 go to game banna
Post automatically merged:

i think the reason is cause too much pizza tower there is less of that than normal mods and if your looking for pizza tower mods for srb2 go to game banna

Honestly, I don't know why people SRB2 gamebanana, all it does is have low quality mods and my Pizza Tower OST mod like I mean, why hate something if it's not bothering you or anybody (just like workshop imo)

Honestly, I don't know why people SRB2 gamebanana, all it does is have low quality mods and my Pizza Tower OST mod like I mean, why hate something if it's not bothering you or anybody (just like workshop imo)
The Workshop is not comparable in that sentence, the people there take joy in committing content theft out of spite. Having something you worked hard on for over a year stolen without your permission is neither fun nor harmless. A Pizza Tower sound pack is not comparable to a character with 200+ sprites.

“Why hate something if it’s not bothering you.”

I think you should read this sentence again. Clearly it bothers us if we dislike it so much.

I'm with @InfernoMelon here. Don't hate something if you're not bothered by it. If you don't care about it, leave it alone.
Post automatically merged:

And if other people hate it and say it's bad, you have your opinion.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back