Why does everyone hate the srb2 gamebanana?

Idk much but if i recall correctly there is a bunch of low quality mods and even stolen mods over there

I don't know about the stolen mods, but if one does pop up you just need to report it or get in contact with gamebanana staff. They will take down non-reusable addons unlike a certain other community.

I mean the workshop as unlike game banana, the workshop actively encourages port legging and will not take down stolen mods even when the actual author requests it.

So it's not only censorship of mods that the site is up to, huh? Portlegging itself is an issue I am not touching with a 10-foot pole, already had a fight with Glaber about it on YT that I'm not bringing here. (He's member of the old guard after all, and I distrusted the hell out of every single one of them BEFORE that particular incident.)

I can say for 100% certainty that most of us will agree that posting content on there without giving credit at the very least is a prick move, however. The mods over there are playing with fire considering how stuff like GDPR is a thing in Europe now. Not that I really care, wasn't planning on using that service anyway thanks to them caving to puritans.

Well, there are more cool addons on gamebanana NOT for srb2.

Many Sonic 3 air mods

Many Sonic Mania mods

And Sonic boll skins

And on gamebanana many addons for srb2
But most mods there is are Boooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooring!

So it's not only censorship of mods that the site is up to, huh? Portlegging itself is an issue I am not touching with a 10-foot pole, already had a fight with Glaber about it on YT that I'm not bringing here. (He's member of the old guard after all, and I distrusted the hell out of every single one of them BEFORE that particular incident.)

I can say for 100% certainty that most of us will agree that posting content on there without giving credit at the very least is a prick move, however. The mods over there are playing with fire considering how stuff like GDPR is a thing in Europe now. Not that I really care, wasn't planning on using that service anyway thanks to them caving to puritans.
old guard? I was never on staff to begin with. I've just been a part of the community since the old guard was around.

Last edited:
already had a fight with Glaber about it on YT that I'm not bringing here. (He's member of the old guard after all, and I distrusted the hell out of every single one of them BEFORE that particular incident.)
Yeah, I don't understand what you're talking about either. When we say "Old Guard" we're referring to the three admins/moderators (Mystic/Rob/Prime) who used to run the community in a really aggressive way.

They actually were some of the nastiest people in the community in terms of how they treated Glaber (or let others get away with doing) so idk where you got the idea he's associated with them. :worry:

I want to actually take a moment to address the actual topic of the thread, but I need to type something up, so give me a bit, lol

old guard? I was never on staff to begin with. I've just been a part of the community since the old guard was around.
You were still likely associated with the old management & pre-2.2 close circles to some degree, though the nature of those relations are unknown to me. Hence why seeing you stir the pot with the other band of enraged people from the WS made me even more suspicious of you in the first place, considering how much of that issue seems to have its roots all the way in 2.0 or 2.1 community. You've apparently been at each others' throats for a long time until your squabble escalated to the point of getting in my sight & ticking me off.

What I can ascertain however, is that you had no relation to Mystic's or Sapheros' cadre at the very least, so that's one big thing you're not at fault for. So I'll happily overlook this occasion as long as you can keep your fights off my face.

You were still likely associated with the old management & pre-2.2 close circles to some degree, though the nature of those relations are unknown to me.
"likely"???

You need to stop making judgments against people for things you haven't actually researched (or asked about). See my post above yours; you actually couldn't be more wrong on this one. :oh:

Yeah, I don't understand what you're talking about either. When we say "Old Guard" we're referring to the three admins/moderators (Mystic/Rob/Prime) who used to run the community in a really aggressive way.

They actually were some of the nastiest people in the community in terms of how they treated Glaber (or let others get away with doing) so idk where you got the idea he's associated with them. :worry:

I want to actually take a moment to address the actual topic of the thread, but I need to type something up, so give me a bit, lol
By the old guard I mean the close modding circles & admins of that time, and that includes those three.

So it seems you too were the target of Mystic, Glaber.

You're gonna be hard pressed to find anyone in the community nowadays who sympathizes with the close modding circles and admins of that time. But Glaber was pretty far off the mark. :p

I even butted heads against people like Mystic on a few things regarding SRB2's development and I'm not even a dev.

Super for Knuckles for example. Mystic was compleatly agaisnt the idea, saying that once you go super as knuckles you start playing just like sonic and ignore his abilities, and I was argueing for Super Knuckles saying that once you go super you continue to use his abilites because they've been enhanced too.

Just wanna know I’m curious
Anyhow, hate is a strong word. I'm not sure who "hates" it or gets that emotional about it in any way, not anyone I know of -- but then I have seen random people be weirdly heated about it sometimes.

What I can tell you is why gamebanana links are banned here though!

We (and by we I mean all the Sonic Team Junior developers and staff members) all agree that the kind of community we like the most is one where people have the option to share their art without others digging into the files and posting edits of it without their permission.

It's not some moral standard -- there's no law stopping people from editing something they found on the internet. But it is a social contract, a "you respect my personal boundaries and I'll respect yours" kind of thing. We value it a lot, and a lot of other people apparently do, too. Legality matters aside, sometimes people just get bummed and discouraged from having other people edit or copy their work without permission, and that's natural and I can't really blame them for that.

Since we want people to feel encouraged and generally respected here, we made the rule of not editing others' works without permission. And in the same spirit, we don't allow links to places that allow that (or allow it on the master server).

I'm gonna guess if people are getting heated and emotional because they're bothered by places like Gamebanana existing, they're either being overzealous like it's some sort of deep moral issue, or they're personally upset by having their stuff edited without their permission and uploaded there.

I even butted heads against people like Mystic on a few things regarding SRB2's development and I'm not even a dev.
I had my fair share constant run-ins with that punk, and I was genuinely ticked off at how he treated GoldenShine. He's indeed a Grade A prick, much like I am. That's where my seed of deep-reaching distrust for the community was sown in the first place.

Mystic rubbed a lot of people the wrong way to put it nicely. However, Mystic is responsible for himself and he's not a part of our community anymore.

Anyhow, hate is a strong word. I'm not sure who "hates" it or gets that emotional about it in any way, not anyone I know of -- but then I have seen random people be weirdly heated about it sometimes.

What I can tell you is why gamebanana links are banned here though!

We (and by we I mean all the Sonic Team Junior developers and staff members) all agree that the kind of community we like the most is one where people have the option to share their art without others digging into the files and posting edits of it without their permission.

It's not some moral standard -- there's no law stopping people from editing something they found on the internet. But it is a social contract, a "you respect my personal boundaries and I'll respect yours" kind of thing. We value it a lot, and a lot of other people apparently do, too. Legality matters aside, sometimes people just get bummed and discouraged from having other people edit or copy their work without permission, and that's natural and I can't really blame them for that.

Since we want people to feel encouraged and generally respected here, we made the rule of not editing others' works without permission. And in the same spirit, we don't allow links to places that allow that (or allow it on the master server).

I'm gonna guess if people are getting heated and emotional because they're bothered by places like Gamebanana existing, they're either being overzealous like it's some sort of deep moral issue, or they're personally upset by having their stuff edited without their permission and uploaded there.
It's better than nothing, that's for sure. As much as I don't mind having the final versions of my work be ported forward by other people, I can see the big gray area of fair use causing problems in the modding scene. They'll have their ways of dealing with things, so it makes sense for you to have yours.

I'm personally rather neutral on this matter.

You're gonna be hard pressed to find anyone in the community nowadays who sympathizes with the close modding circles and admins of that time. But Glaber was pretty far off the mark. :p

Just chipping in to establish beyond any doubts that I have thought Mystic was a shitty person since shortly after I joined the dev team. I didn't pay much attention back in IRC days, but working with him one-on-one quickly taught me about the abysmally poor quality of his character. Fuck him. I have done my best in my administrative position to never pull anything nearly as egregious as he did.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back