Why are there still people that consider Dreamcast Sonic to be his own separate character?

Icarus

Phantasy Savior
Seriously, he is Modern Sonic, no matter how hard you're trying to convince people that he isn't.

Sure, he had a slightly different look and personality compared to other games like Lost World or Forces but he's still officially Modern Sonic, his overal design (green eyes, a darker blue and a more lanky figure) and personality (he talks and is more snarky) was changed from Classic's.

You can still talk and refer about the "Dreamcast era" (which strangely covers the Gamecube games) but it's mostly a fan term (like the "Meta Era").

I've only ever seen people discuss Dreamcast era Sonic as different in terms of design. This ranges from his appearance (Longer quills, bigger nose, etc.) to the difference in personality (More snarky and less serious) as opposed to Modern Sonic, who is very much a rebranded character starting with his appearance in Unleashed, sporting a slightly more compact design leaning him more towards a middle ground between his dreamcast era design and classic era design, and generally boasting a personality capable of shifting between comedic and serious as needed.

I've never once seen anyone try to make the case as though Dreamcast era Sonic and Modern Sonic are two different people in-lore. Only that Sonic as a character has changed since then. This change can generally be attributed to Sonic 06, which also featured a rebranding of Sonic, but in the opposite direction. The same changes made to Classic Sonic to make him Dreamcast Sonic were exaggerated on top of to turn Dreamcast Sonic into 06 Sonic; sporting even longer legs and arms, longer quills, etc. After the failure that was 06, which included criticisms towards the redesign of the characters, SEGA seems to have decided to change course with Sonic's design and refine it into more of a middle ground design, which has generally been viewed much more favorably.

There was also the brief chibi-ish period of Sonic Heroes and Shadow the Hedgehog, which already seemed to be pointing towards a desire to make Sonic more of a classic-dreamcast hybrid, though that interpretation generally wasn't super popular with critics either which is probably what prompted the change in 06 to begin with.

pretty much because of games like sonic adventure and sonic generations don't play the same and the designs are sorta different like how sa1 sonic (in game) looks closer to classic sonic then sonic in unleashed/06 also in generations Sega was plating to hire Ryan Drummond to play an actual "dreamcast sonic" but that fell off because legal issues

Seriously, he is Modern Sonic, no matter how hard you're trying to convince people that he isn't.

Sure, he had a slightly different look and personality compared to other games like Lost World or Forces but he's still officially Modern Sonic, his overal design (green eyes, a darker blue and a more lanky figure) and personality (he talks and is more snarky) was changed from Classic's.

You can still talk and refer about the "Dreamcast era" (which strangely covers the Gamecube games) but it's mostly a fan term (like the "Meta Era").
Generations concepts want to speak with you.

In my opinion we must have SA1 sonic and SA2 sonic
Why two because SA2 sonic has shoap shoes and he is unique ! Secondly SA sonic can't crouch (griding) while SA2 Sonic can
Secondly NO modern sonic doesn't have light speed attack ability that the Dreamcast sonic has ! Dreamcast sonic cannot boost ! And modern sonic doesn't have or even need upgrades for new abilities !
So btw he is a different version of sonic !

I'm a bit confused here, the title of the thread's talking about Dreamcast Sonic not being a separate character, and then you say he's a separate character due to being Modern Sonic?
Personally I feel Sonic Adventure 1 & 2 are a continuation of the story started in the Mega Drive games, which would make him the same character as back then.

I'm a bit confused here, the title of the thread's talking about Dreamcast Sonic not being a separate character, and then you say he's a separate character due to being Modern Sonic?
What I'm saying is that there are officially only two Sonic: Classic and Modern.

Dreamcast Sonic is just Modern Sonic with a slightly different style but overal he's still Modern Sonic.

The reason why I'm making this thread is that because I'm still seeing people saying "please Sega bring Adventure/Dreamcast Sonic back" while he's already there.
Post automatically merged:

Personally I feel Sonic Adventure 1 & 2 are a continuation of the story started in the Mega Drive games, which would make him the same character as back then.
No, Sonic Adventure was made as a soft-reboot of the franchise, it retained elements of the previous games (the Master Emerald, Amy being saved by Sonic from Metal and Tails meeting Sonic) while changing the entire setting and style of the characters.

I think the real question is why do people consider Classic Sonic and Modern Sonic different characters as well?
I think the whole mess started with Generations splitting the two Sonics outright, then Forces making Classic not an earlier, younger Sonic as implied in Generations, but a Sonic from an alternate dimension. Which should really be alternate universe, why do people keep using those terms interchangeably? The other issue is that even in the Classic era, Sonic R and 3D Blast used the Adventure design in promo material and then Sonic '06 changed up Sonic's design again, and Sonic changed again past that.

Here's my take on Adventure Sonic though. He's obviously different from Classic of course, Adventure being a soft reboot; but by the time Sonic '06 comes around, both Sonic's personality and design change, along with the setting. Adventure 1 and 2, Heroes and the Advance series have a cheerful look at the world despite the serious events and Sonic himself has more a surfer type personality. Then Sonic '06 gives the whole setting a more serious feel with Shadow being a weird middle ground between the two, and also swaps to a new voice actor. From this point on, Sonic behaves pretty different from his Adventure counterpart, being more serious, having less of a surfer feel and more just an anime protag feel. The gameplay is also more linear than the exploration based Adventure era from Secret Rings and Unleashed onward. Then SEGA pulled a 180 and made Modern Sonic even more comedic than AoStH Sonic past Colours, but kept linear gameplay.

TL;DR: Adventure Sonic is different enough in personality, design, setting and gameplay than the later Modern Sonic to be considered different, with Shadow and '06 being a weird grey area.

TL;DR: Adventure Sonic is different enough in personality, design, setting and gameplay than the later Modern Sonic to be considered different, with Shadow and '06 being a weird grey area.
This is generally the point I was trying to make. While Dreamcast Sonic and Modern Sonic are the same character in lore, It's imprecise to refer to them as the same outside of the lore, as they are two very different interpretations. It's all one character, but two very different eras of their character development.

To insist therefore that "Dreamcast Sonic" doesn't exist and it's all just "Modern Sonic" is limiting in regards to people being able to discuss what they do and don't like about different era's in Sonic's history. It is a smudging of the timeline of it's more precise detail for the express purpose of putting it all under one big all encompassing label, which is ultimately far more destructive than it is constructive.

It's all modern sonic
But people like to distinguish Adventure sonic or the Dreamcast Era as almost it's own thing due to the differences from then and now
It's the transitioning period for sonic, or the middle part in the franchises life so of course people will separate it, mainly so it's easy to understand what type/version of modern sonic they are talking about.
dreamcast Sonic isn't a different character from modern sonic, just that, a different era of sonic.
If we had new sonic that looked a little different, portrayed different in a constant way, along with gameplay, at some point you would get a Dreamcast Sonic, Boost/Meta/Modern Sonic(or something) and The Modern, modern Sonic.
Not saying they would have these names, but just a example of how it distinguishes itself over time. Just like How we have a Classic, version it's just more simple to cut them up into bits so people instantly understand what sonic you are talking about.

The only reason why Classic Sonic and Modern Sonic are considered separate characters is because they coexist in different timelines where Classic Sonic branched off to have different adventures after 3&K going into Generations. Adventure Sonic has never been considered a separate character because his timeline has him grow into Modern Sonic, making them the same character.

No one has ever considered them separate and it's purely to describe the era the character is from, especially since Adv Sonic is coming to SRB2

I have no idea, for me he is just a transition from Classic to Modern, seeing how he still has the spindash n all but has green eyes and longer limbs

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back