What in the world is SRB2 Workshop?

And you're right! You're very much right here, and actually interacting is your own fault. But simply staying out of it (or previously being in said topic) can be brought up still and that conversation is still forced. Normally I would say something like "just shut yourself off from the fandom and focus on the content" but SRB2 is quite literally built and carried by its fans and modders. Vanilla SRB2 is amazing and I love it. But to completely deny any online servers or to not play mods is losing over half the SRB2 experience, and it's not worth it. But at least you can do what you can to avoid the topic, but eventually it will be brought up.
Question: are you trying to criticize a moderator???

porting is just as hard as making it
Not really. Making a mod is way, way harder than porting it.
To port is to check what has changed betwen two versions and then commit changes until the old project is now supported by the new. It isn't as complex, but having no knowledge of the medium you're working with can make this job harder than it should be.

It's potentially easier and way more gratifying to just make your very own mod than spending months of your life porting one by some random guy.

it depends on what community that is, if Sonic or SRB2 Community then I don't care
That's the type of attitude that's impossible to argument with, and which complements my overarching argument regarding permission.
Nothing stops you from just doing whatever you want with whatever artifacts you want and wherever you want. What will stop you is rules forced upon you by the communities you join, and potential legal threats for being an insurmountable headache regarding the works of other people.

Based on your last sentence,
(also, I like to stop this now because this actually making me depressed & sad and don't wanna feel like going through that again for the third time now on the fucking SRB2 Messge Board, of all places)
I assume discussing this topic at length is not in your best interest, so I don't think it will be productive to continue dissecting your posts just to be given synonyms of "I don't care" or "But not here" in response.

really anything that has controversy here has been brought up in servers and even here.
An unfortunate truth of life is that once something controversial enough comes to light, and if there's a mean to do so, it will be talked about again and again.
Until it is solved in some fashion, ye olde portleg topic will not die. Leaving the thread alone clearly doesn't work and gets bumped not a week later, and locking the thread would just risk the discussion spreading to other places, like new threads or whatever places that can hold user submitted text.
Discussing it to death is a better option. See what compromises we can make, or figure out what's the actual core of the issue, whatever gets us to ending the topic for good.

But simply staying out of it (or previously being in said topic) can be brought up still and that conversation is still forced.
See above. Just don't engage, and let it pass.
It can be hard, but then you realize you have block buttons in some services, you can kick people if you host your own games, and you can just straight up hide the chat box if you join servers lol

are you trying to criticize a moderator???
Your not suppose to do that.
No? You really aren't allowed to criticize moderators, even if they are wrong about something.
Staff members are users too! They can be the target of criticism at the same magnitude as you or me.

you should be allow to do so
You are. Criticizing moderation in and of itself isn't against the rules. The linked "Um" thread situation wasn't about criticizing moderation being against the rules or anything, it was about the guy being overly hostile and in self denial about it to the point of being frankly delusional. Basically, the rule being broke was more "Don't be toxic", and not at all "Don't criticize moderators".

now try reading what lead up to that
View attachment 115530

and then continue going up until you find the first post, and start from there
You are. Criticizing moderation in and of itself isn't against the rules. The linked "Um" thread situation wasn't about criticizing moderation being against the rules or anything, it was about the guy being overly hostile and in self denial about it to the point of being frankly delusional. Basically, the rule being broke was more "Don't be toxic", and not at all "Don't criticize moderators".
Sorry.

An unfortunate truth of life is that once something controversial enough comes to light, and if there's a mean to do so, it will be talked about again and again.
Until it is solved in some fashion, ye olde portleg topic will not die. Leaving the thread alone clearly doesn't work and gets bumped not a week later, and locking the thread would just risk the discussion spreading to other places, like new threads or whatever places that can hold user submitted text.
Discussing it to death is a better option. See what compromises we can make, or figure out what's the actual core of the issue, whatever gets us to ending the topic for good.

See above. Just don't engage, and let it pass.
It can be hard, but then you realize you have block buttons in some services, you can kick people if you host your own games, and you can just straight up hide the chat box if you join servers lol
Fair enough, and a sad truth indeed. Sometimes I wish people wouldn't judge games and shows, and frankly, people, based on the worst things they (or the fandom) has done. I wish we could enjoy something for what it is. NOT the controversy.
Oh well. At least I can block and unwatch lol.

I'll leave this thread well alone for a while, unless I wanna respond to smth. See y'all somewhere else.

1711650984465.png
1711650994654.png

message board wtf that's way longer than 20 minutes

1. that's like saying because emulators mimic a console, they're not the console, and therefore, isn't preservation.
that's not at all what i'm saying
to preserve (history) is to keep the source unmodified. an emulator doesn't modify the ROM, therefore it is preservation.
modifying the ROM to make it work on a different device is very technically preservation of the game, but not preserving history since you're modifying it.

EDIT: actually, yeah, that makes sense
if you emulate a console, that's not preservation, that's emulation
to preserve a console is to have the original console itself somewhere, preferably untouched

2. fun my ass
🤷‍♀️

3. DOWNPORTING new stuff to old stuff is PRESERVATION? more like -snip-
see 1
making 2.2 act like 1.09.4 so you can play 1.09.4 with 2.2 features keeps the mod unmodified, therefore that's preservation of history

4. check the walls, floors and things, they're all traced, or upscaled from different sources, such as the original super mario bros and the all stars version of it. you might be thinking of the remastered version of the map in that one mod.
fair on the assets part. the map is still inspired by.

(5) you say that like it's gonna effect one's argument
if you have empathy, yes

(6) portlegging is a term used on people who care about preservation
incorrect, see 1

(7) ah yes, just cuz the neckbeards have control over the entire website means we shouldn't preserve.
see 1
old mods aren't being removed off the message board, they're still available for you to play on the correct engine, therefore they're being preserved.
the correct engine is still playable - just because you can't get used to the controls doesn't mean it is unavailable

I was so surprised by this problem when I left, this happened. And it's still happening to this day, I can't believe in the SRB2 Community, we fight for whatever this is. And it's because of the new staff, workshop, and other stuff. There is no peace for this to end in this community, I want SRB2 to BE like a normal sonic fangame it self. With the community NOT having a problem with any other stuff.

I was so surprised by this problem when I left, this happened. And it's still happening to this day, I can't believe in the SRB2 Community, we fight for whatever this is. And it's because of the new staff, workshop, and other stuff. There is no peace for this to end in this community, I want SRB2 to BE like a normal sonic fangame it self. With the community NOT having a problem with any other stuff.
I WISH this would end, even if I don't agree with all the reusability things. It's annoying how this becomes the only real controversy and it's just looping endlessly. It's annoying, as some people just don't know when to quit. Thankfully, not everyone cares for this argument and going places like online or to other threads can still be enjoyable, along with new mod's and the talent behind them. Sadly, I don't think this thread is going away, and that kinda sucks. I highly suggest just going to servers, making mods, or being on another thread as this is just an endless argument that no one is going to result being happy with.

Hope things get better here in this community, though.

I've neglected to interject all that much if at all in this thread because it concerns drama that is not my business, but I do have an interjection for all the people asking "why is the thread not locked?"

This thread essentially serves as a black hole for any and all discussion regarding the workshop controversy. As amperbee said locking the thread would just make it bleed into other threads which is honestly not something I think the message board needs. Ironically, I think the constant bumping of this thread actually serves to help deter people from trying to make more pointless threads about the subject since they will be drawn to this one instead. Outright banning discussion of the subject is not exactly the play either, because then you will have people arguing that the staff are trying to censor any talk of the subject.

You can be upset about the constant bumping of the thread considering the discussion has indeed become very circular and repetitive since many months ago, but if that's the case, you're more than free to not partake in it. No one is forcing you to engage in the thread and it appearing on the thread list is at worst a minor annoyance. You can be doing more productive things than concerning yourself with drama that matters very little in the grand scheme of things.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Back