What do you hate most about the game?

red volcano can go suck it. seriously, THE FUCKING LAVA BURNS YOUR RINGS?! i mean, at least aerial garden and azure temple are optional, but you HAVE to play rvz to beat the game.

Last edited:
There is an annoying tenacity within the dev team that will never let the game reach its true potential (in terms of gameplay, especially) because of the rigid faithfulness of emulating the classic gameplay style, which was often like that due to technological limitations (especially in the early SRB2 days). However, I find myself enjoying the momentum and physics of classic/adventure/modern Sonic games FAR more than I do (current version) SRB2's, with its limited jumpheight, strange air control, underwhelming moveset diversity, offputting slogginess, seemingly very restrictive space of how you can move the character in the traditional dynamic Sonic way. I mean, you can do some neat tricks if you use very specific key movements taking advanced of the restrictive space but Sonic is supposed to feel like a race car, not like chess. Once again, many modded characters vastly upstage the vanilla ones.
This is false. The dev team is more than willing to take inspiration from modern titles when doing so is beneficial, the game is largely just themed after the classics and takes them as it's biggest inspiration. They have stated as much in the past, in addition to them not exactly keeping it a secret that they're planning on tweaking the physics.

THE COMMUNITY!!!! Sucks and a lot of them are the sensitive crybully types, streamer kids, people who clearly don't like sonic outside of this game so they think every criticism towards this highly flawed game is blasphemy, ego-tripping admins, toxic edgelords, ect. This is actually a big factor as to why I finally removed this game from my PC once and for all. Sad, because I actually used to really like this community during the 2000s/2010s. I used to wonder why mod content isn't made for this current era as much as it was for the previous versions, but now I get it. Nobody wants to take hours out of their day to create for a passionless and fractured community that is failing to retain players as time goes by. I don't see it getting better any time soon.
No community is perfect, but I haven't really gotten the impression at all that the community is as bad as you say it is. Sure, there's a lot of kids around (because it's SRB2 of course there are), but that in and of itself isn't a bad thing, and I personally haven't seen the other types you're describing at all.

Also I gotta agree with Inferno on the mods point. It's pretty common that people are making mods less because the vanilla content in-game has gone up in quality so much that it's an intimidating prospect to make anything that could compare. Most people just simply don't consider themselves talented enough, or are too intimidated to learn. It's got little if anything to do with some perception of the community not being worth making things for, and I've never heard anyone else make such a complaint before.

Thok.
I want to play match as Amy Rose (although I prefer maimy)
And here 98% of server playing as sonic.
THOK THOK THOK THOK THOK
RAIL GUN!
And you lose all rings.
And he THOK and nope weapons.
Hey STOP crook!
THOK THOK THOK THOK THOK RAIL SPARTA!
And nope your amy.
Although it says more about the fact that I'm a noob i can play sonic pretty well but
I WANNA BE THE AMY I'M BORED THOK THOK AND THOK.

Well,i have few complains:

1. Lava eats the rings
This is the worst idea in general.
I get it its for more challanging level and that normal Sonic games dont have that idea(Hill Top Zone and Marble Zone for example), but its just not right.Imagine if you play a lava themed SRB2 level with only few rings around,lot of lava that eats rings,and you can only play as Sonic. Does it sound like fun?

2. NIGHTS Special Stages
They are a pain in the ass. Especially once you got to 5th Special Stage.Its all just a big suffering.

3. Every level after Red Vulcano
Especially Egg Rock Act 2 where you gotta go outside into a painful space segment just to open a frickin door.
Black Core Zone is not even better,too.Heck,its even worse!

4. Azure Temple
We all know its sucks and its the worst level.It shuld be deleted for 2.3

5.Multiplayer Special Stages
This one is the worsr to me.
One time i was playing Vanilla 24/7 Server,and few guys were just being in the water just to be a timeout and we couldnt get emeralds,meaning we cant complete the run 100%.By this,no one jas fun and no one has trusts into them.Those guys never had Coop friends in general.

All of these things make completing the game not fun.

Nothing really other than egg rock zone
noos.jpeg

The fucking Pterodactyls in Red Volcano zone.
Those bitches basically caused 80% of my deaths in that hell-hole.
Hehehehehehhehehehe.
Post automatically merged:

It's impossible for me to pick just one, so instead, here's a list of nearly every nitpick I have with SRB2.
In no particular order:
  • Physics that completely fail to live up to the promise that we've had on our website for 20 years of recreating the Genesis originals in 3D
  • Some unlockables take way too long to unlock, and I would argue some are not worth unlocking at all (looking at your maps, Mystic) -- I have only unlocked the emblem radar once in over 10 years of playing
  • Controls menus are way too confusing, consistently inconveniencing new players
  • Players are never taught how to play NiGHTS stages properly, usually resulting in them giving up or having to retry countless times to get the last couple of emeralds -- I never liked NiGHTS until Rob of all people informed me that the spin button slows you down, allowing for very precise control. We have a tutorial to teach thok, but not NiGHTS? Why?
  • Most enemies and bosses do not have large enough hitboxes, sometimes leading to deaths due to slightly missing your target
  • Mashing the jump key is required to fly as Tails, which is an accessibility issue and very annoying
  • Metal's dash mode is nearly impossible to utilize effectively and his hover is underwhelming
  • Fang must come to a halt to use his weapon, which is clunky and not very appealing (his bounce is neat though)
  • Ringslinger is a zombie game mode that was never truly more fun after Final Demo
  • Circuit maps no longer come with the game, meaning no one plays my favorite game mode back in Final Demo anymore
  • Sonic's thok is an uninspired ability with a silly name, and it encourages players to blow past enemies instead of ever engaging with them. High level Sonic play boils down to mashing the jump button while trying to keep Sonic on the most optimal path. Pretty much brainless gameplay, but you'll still die to pits from launching slightly the wrong direction
  • Installing addons is a total pain on any platform other than Windows
  • Port forwarding is required for netgames, preventing many people who are inexperienced with computers from hosting
  • Many graphics and maps have fallen by the wayside, really showing their age
  • Tools for moderating chat in netgames are too limited
  • 3D models are a nightmare to add/swap, they should just load from a .pk3
  • Devmode 15 makes the console log unusable
  • Mouse doesn't work in menus
  • You can accidentally bind Enter to something you shouldn't, bricking the game until you fix or delete config.cfg
  • F11 isn't a fullscreen toggle (yet)
  • Single player campaign isn't very good past Red Volcano (with exceptions in some areas)
  • Final boss gets its own shout-out for being a cheap and irritating fight
  • Techno Hill boss is easier than Greenflower boss
  • Using Tails to pick up other players and fly them somewhere else is way too finicky so it gets underused in netgames
  • There's next to nothing cooperative about co-op netgames; players can't really interact with each other other than Tails's flight and Amy's shield
  • Error messages shown when the game crashes are usually useless
  • PolyObjects are too unintuitive to create and require specific setups to work without glitches, meaning they're hardly ever used
  • Linedef executors are a nightmare to set up unless you're doing something pretty basic
  • Air bubble hitboxes are too small, and you will die over and over to missing the bubble by a few tics
  • Space countdown. 'Nuff said.
  • Various options are never saved
  • Insane restrictions on saving the game; if you get all the emeralds as any character that should be enough to unlock saving single player games with mods loaded
  • Say it with me, kids: control lag in netgames
"But Sev," you say, "aren't you a developer? Can't you fix most of these things?" No, I can't. I make maps, not pull requests, and I rarely find satisfaction in mapping for the base game, especially when it comes to making a new map from scratch. I still help out with little miscellaneous things when I can, though.

Before Mystic's removal -- particularly, during my brief departure from the dev team -- I asked him if he thought SRB2 was a step towards something greater. I don't remember his answer, and I don't know if I have an answer myself, but I still think about this question from time to time.

In spite of everything, I still love this game. I just seem to play it less as time goes on. Don't you worry, though. You'll all be stuck with me for a good while longer :p
Yes.
Thok

Last edited:
Also I gotta agree with Inferno on the mods point. It's pretty common that people are making mods less because the vanilla content in-game has gone up in quality so much that it's an intimidating prospect to make anything that could compare. Most people just simply don't consider themselves talented enough, or are too intimidated to learn. It's got little if anything to do with some perception of the community not being worth making things for, and I've never heard anyone else make such a complaint before.
Sorry to be blunt (well I'm not sorry, honesty is better than insincerity after all) but I think that doesn't excuse everything. People just don't want to make content if they're not passionate enough so they're not gonna do it for free beyond a select group of people. For example, there are modding community based games that are far more expansive and challenging to create mods for that has a lot more content being made per content creator by its proportional ratio VS SRB2. We could argue that if SRB2 drew in a greater playerbase that there would be more content creation also. Yet, the playerbase in recent years seems to be either stagnating or slowly declining after reaching a short-lived peak when 2.2 came out.

Last edited:
Sorry to be blunt (well I'm not sorry, honesty is better than insincerity after all) but I think that doesn't excuse everything. People just don't want to make content if they're not passionate enough so they're not gonna do it for free beyond a select group of people. For example, there are modding community based games that are far more expansive and challenging to create mods for that has a lot more content being made per content creator by its proportional ratio VS SRB2. We could argue that if SRB2 drew in a greater playerbase that there would be more content creation also. Yet, the playerbase in recent years seems to be either stagnating or slowly declining after reaching a short-lived peak when 2.2 came out.
Modding communities are not a flat, consistent thing. Modding accessibility differs from game to game based on a number of factors such as who the game's target demographic is (such as age, etc.), how popular the franchise is, what kinds of modding tools are available, how moddable the game itself actually is, etc.

SRB2 is a fangame generally directed at children. It's particularly popular within the Sonic fanbase, but the Sonic fanbase has become more niche with time with only recently there being much of a resurgence due to the movies and possibly Frontiers. When the majority of your playerbase are children with only a few older veterans here and there and modding tools that aren't super beginner friendly to use (or at least haven't been for a long time, I don't know about more recently), it really shouldn't be surprising that talent and intimidation towards acquiring it are large factors.

And again, I haven't been seeing any sentiment in regards to the community not being worth making things for. Generally, that's not how people seem to think about modding in general from what I've been able to tell. It seems to be more about showing off your own creations that you made because you wanted to rather than whether anyone else is deserving of them.

Other games like Terraria do in fact have pretty robust mod scenes, but the big difference with SRB2 is how the community has complete control over the source code.

When modding commercial games, what comes out is highly dependent on what the developers choose to expose and on what functions they provide. This means that in many cases, things we can easily do with SRB2 is quite difficult in those other games (if not impossible). Now with Lua in 2.2.10 (with more functions being exposed over time), you can go as far as to create a 'different game' where Sonic and friends are nowhere to be found.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back