• Do not use Works in Progress as a way of avoiding the releases system! Works in Progress can be used for sharing early betas and for getting suggestions for improvement. Releases of finished content are not allowed in this forum! If you would like to submit a finished addon, click here for instructions on how to do so.

Wall Running and Loops (LUA)

Oshtoby

qAQF4v4.gif

I literally made this because I wanted to do this as Adventure Sonic. I spent a year of my life (off and on) making it happen. Why would I do this to myself?

Hello. I'm working on this thing. It's got an insane amount of Sine, Cosine and Tangent and that kind of garbage in it. It should be Netplay safe. Check out my attached gifs. Wall run portion works kind of like Sonic Adventure (Pressing forward while on the wall makes you go as best it can toward the camera). Should work with most characters. I'm still working on it. Any ideas on features or how I should implement it? I'm open to suggestions.

I don't know how these threads work, so, I'll end it on a joke.

Magician walks down the street and turns into a bar. That's the joke.

Vtnsj7v.gif

XsIdewi.gif

I apparently don't know how the internet works, and I can't get all three .GIFs working. Here is an album.

Last edited:
Ooh, I remember seeing this! This fixes the problem I have with the other wallrun/ceiling run lua, where running on walls is too slippery and doesn't give enough momentum.

Suggestion, make the sprites for when you are running up walls and your camera is facing the wall or close to the wall whatever sprites the running sprites are set to.

Suggestion, make the sprites for when you are running up walls and your camera is facing the wall or close to the wall whatever sprites the running sprites are set to.
Well, my intention is to make a "one size fits all" situation. As in, I can't make new sprites, only use what is in whatever character the user loads. I am hoping for this .LUA to be able to be packed in a stage and have it "Just Work" with almost any character, allowing for stage creators to create Sonic Adventure like stages.

Well, my intention is to make a "one size fits all" situation. As in, I can't make new sprites, only use what is in whatever character the user loads. I am hoping for this .LUA to be able to be packed in a stage and have it "Just Work" with almost any character, allowing for stage creators to create Sonic Adventure like stages.
What I meant by that is the same sprites used when you're running in the same direction as the camera. Use whatever walking/running/whatever sprites are loaded when running when you walk up a wall and the camera is facing the wall.

qAQF4v4.gif

I literally made this because I wanted to do this as Adventure Sonic. I spent a year of my life (off and on) making it happen. Why would I do this to myself?

Hello. I'm working on this thing. It's got an insane amount of Sine, Cosine and Tangent and that kind of garbage in it. It should be Netplay safe. Check out my attached gifs. Wall run portion works kind of like Sonic Adventure (Pressing forward while on the wall makes you go as best it can toward the camera). Should work with most characters. I'm still working on it. Any ideas on features or how I should implement it? I'm open to suggestions.

I don't know how these threads work, so, I'll end it on a joke.

Magician walks down the street and turns into a bar. That's the joke.

Vtnsj7v.gif

XsIdewi.gif

I apparently don't know how the internet works, and I can't get all three .GIFs working. Here is an album.
This... is.... AMAZING and it has A BUNCH of progress too! I might try to make a map for this thing! (I usually dont try to make things but this is an inspiring project)

This... is.... AMAZING and it has A BUNCH of progress too! I might try to make a map for this thing! (I usually dont try to make things but this is an inspiring project)
Agreed. This kind of inspires me to make a SSS styled map.

You wanna try to make it together? (Tho I've got like 1 hour on pc so I might randomly disconnect)
Maybe not now, I have stuff in real life to deal with and I only have Zone Builder on my Windows laptop. I'm currently on Chrome OS.

I'd like to see a variation of this with optional diagonal sprites (one for walking and running) that could be applied with modchars

I'd be happy with the function for loops as it would also help with quarter pipes and vertical half-pipes

They say it couldn't be done and yet lo and behold

Curious how you even got this work

They say it couldn't be done and yet lo and behold

Curious how you even got this work
A STUPID amount of angle calculations and crazy person math. Here is a snip-it of a part of the script. This is all spaghetti code, though. Once I know everything works, I'm essentially going to rewrite it to make it pretty and take less processing.

1666801339627.png

I essentially am reprogramming walking from scratch as a "not a state, but acts like one" except on the wall. A lot of what is shown here is simply me testing stuff, so ignore the bottom two lines where it's essentially making gravity on the wall, but it's set to 75 as opposed to a reasonable number.

The game in it's current state is CLEARLY not meant for this. I am kind of brute forcing it.

Last edited:

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back