Tortured Planet

Tortured Planet v11.6

JonBaxter updated Tortured Planet with a new update entry:

Emergency fix!

We got a report of a very worrying multiplayer softlock in Eruption Conduit 1, so we're rolling out a patch to fix it ASAP

Fixes:
- Fixed a multiplayer softlock in ECZ2 wherein a player could lock themselves in the crawla commando room, die and make the rest of the level inaccessible
- Fixed some non-shimmering sand in GCZ1
- Fixed some missing wall textures in AAZ1 and AAZ2
- Added a small red arrow to the floor of AAZ2 in front of the new zoom tube used to get into the library after it...

Read the rest of this update entry...

JonBaxter updated Tortured Planet with a new update entry:

The smooth update

Hello again ladies and gents. To celebrate the release of SRB2 v2.2.11, all the text in this page is now being displayed at 60 FPS!

Massive thanks to GomaTheMascar for handling today's update. Here's what was patched up.

Tweaks:
- Replaced temporary Unidus back to Pointies in LGZ1 and LGZ2
- Added Gravity parameters to SWZ1, SWZ2 and SSZ (main campaign and archives) to replace deprecated Custom Global Gravity sectors
- Changed 2.0 Sea Egg to use the new P_MoveOrigin function...

Read the rest of this update entry...

guys im stuck 💀

Screenshot 2023-06-11 12.13.02 PM.png

I remember when this was a "dedicated server" exclusive, its actually how I became nostalgic for it.

I have been gone from this community for a WHILE. I've just been insanely busy (I work 90-hour weeks, daylighting as a professional game designer and moonlighting as a political reporter) and really don't have much time for any sort of hobby gaming these days. But I am absolutely thrilled to see one of my oldest and most ambitious projects get some love and a tuneup for the modern SRB2 era. I can't wait to play this and, among other things, hear Charyb's completed soundtrack as it was always meant to be.

Thanks everyone, I couldn't be more thrilled about this.

I have been gone from this community for a WHILE. I've just been insanely busy (I work 90-hour weeks, daylighting as a professional game designer and moonlighting as a political reporter) and really don't have much time for any sort of hobby gaming these days. But I am absolutely thrilled to see one of my oldest and most ambitious projects get some love and a tuneup for the modern SRB2 era. I can't wait to play this and, among other things, hear Charyb's completed soundtrack as it was always meant to be.

Thanks everyone, I couldn't be more thrilled about this.
You're a great guy for even coming up with this mod!
It's impressive, the music is nice, the designs make the levels fun to play through.
I hope you're doing okay and don't have any burnout, or crazy stuff like that.

..I know, this was random. Sorry.

This is a continuation of the review I left.

It was decent at the beginning, but it was super frustrating near the end. I know this is supposed to be one of SRB2's hardest level packs, but where do I even start? I'll give a few thoughts about each individual zone and state whether I have problems with them or not.

Sunshine Atoll Zone - Pretty decent. There's nothing super frustrating about it, but I will say the scenery gets in the way too often.

Eruption Conduit Zone - I could care less. It looks cool seeing a factory complex in a volcano area, but Act 2 is hell to navigate. An arrow showing where to go would make the room after the initial conveyor faster to get through, and like with the previous zone, the scenery gets in the way too often. If the sky texture is supposed to be a reference to Secret Base Zone from Sonic Advance, I like it.

Drowned Downtown Zone - This is where the rage begins for me. I get lost every time I play this stage. Like, I know where to go, and I'm still lost.
I like the scenery, though. But the fact that it's a water level makes the stage even worse. It's not as bad as Labyrinth Zone was, thankfully, but the music barely helped my patience. I do like the kind-of harbor section in Act 2, though. I think that's a nice detail.

Snowcap Nimbus Zone - One of the better zones in this level pack... is what I would say if there weren't bottomless pits everywhere. The music is good, but that doesn't help my frustration. And I get why there's ice physics, but are they really necessary?

Gritty Columns Zone - The second worst level in my book. It's just platforming hell, there are a million ways to get crushed by all the columns, the quicksand in both acts are bad, and the enemy placement raises my anger tenfold. The only thing going for this mess is the aesthetics and the music.

Fume Shaft Zone - This is the WORST level in this entire mod. The problems Gritty Columns Zone had are here, too, but the falling rocks are annoying as hell, the enemies are bad, and the acid from Nitric Citadel Zone in Mystic Realm is back with a vengeance. I mean, did it have to be instant death acid? The port to 2.2 of the aforementioned level pack removed the death plane factor from that zone, why didn't that happen here?!

Liftoff Gantry Zone - The worst part of this zone is the enemy placement. I barely enjoyed myself here. It ain't as bad as the last one, but it's still hell to get through. The aesthetics of the zone throw me off guard, too, as I couldn't tell where to go at times in Act 2.

Spacewalk Zone - I went and played through this supposedly terrible zone, and shockingly, it wasn't all that bad. Yeah, there is some frustration in this zone, more specifically in Act 2, but overall, not really as bad as everyone thought it would be. The boss act on the other hand... Just, Why? Metal Sonic is already a hard enough boss in the vanilla game, but why is he here on this zero gravity boss arena instead of the Egg Mobile?

Maybe remove the gravity flip gimmick from the SWZ boss act and make the arena bigger. That'd raise the rating slightly higher.

Alien Armageddon Zone - The aesthetics are good. The music is good. (Scrambled Egg Zone music is goated.) Everything else is bad. The enemy placement, the water sections, the platforming, and there are traps everywhere. I did not enjoy myself here at all. It's not as bad as Fume Shaft as I've mentioned, but it's near the same level of frustration as that level.

Star Showdown Zone - 2.0 Brak? Really? I get this is a port of a 2.0 level pack, but still, 2.0 Brak?

And the one thing I didn't bring up are the Emerald Tokens and Special Stages. The Emerald Tokens are a nightmare to find in some levels, and the Special Stages are just the ones from the vanilla game. I suggest bringing back the 2.0 Special Stages and put them in their place, as this is a port of a level pack from v2.0.

And that's about it. I don't need to see any messages saying "Skill Issue" because it's the level design's fault, not mine, alright? I am glad this level pack exists and seeing it being ported to 2.2. But all of this is the reason I gave the mod 3 stars instead of 4 like I would normally give with my reviews. I look forward to see what's next for this mod, and who knows? Maybe my opinion will eventually change about the mod. The main thing I want to see for the future, though, is the Special Stages being ported from 2.0 instead of unchanged from vanilla SRB2, as well as the Emerald Tokens being easier to find in both acts. I needed the help of the Rouge the Bat mod because of the Token Radar to find them.

Last edited:
I remember the memories i had with this mappack back in 2.1 in coop with friends and random players, glad to see one of my favorite mappacks got ported to the new 2.2

How do you beat Star Showdown Zone. I can't hit the boss, I can't figure out how to deflect any attacks, or really do any damage. I can even hop to the second level early, but I still can't do anything other than hop around

How do you beat Star Showdown Zone. I can't hit the boss, I can't figure out how to deflect any attacks, or really do any damage. I can even hop to the second level early, but I still can't do anything other than hop around
jump over his head to make him punch himself in the face. yes, really.

jump over his head to make him punch himself in the face. yes, really.
That's... certainly a way to describe the strategy. I think I'm just gonna tell myself I already beat the mod. It'll save me a lot of unnecessary frustration
Post automatically merged:

I'm not kidding when I say this is easily the worst boss fight I've played in a SRB2 mod. The strategy just seems to decide randomly when it wants to work. It's more a trial of patience than an actual challenge. I really liked this mod up to this point, but this is massively disappointing finale to it

Last edited:
That's... certainly a way to describe the strategy. I think I'm just gonna tell myself I already beat the mod. It'll save me a lot of unnecessary frustration
Post automatically merged:

I'm not kidding when I say this is easily the worst boss fight I've played in a SRB2 mod. The strategy just seems to decide randomly when it wants to work. It's more a trial of patience than an actual challenge. I really liked this mod up to this point, but this is massively disappointing finale to it
well that is a shame. but do bear in mind that boss isn't mod exclusive, as this is the original version of brak eggman before his fight was changed completely into what we have today. we opted to keep it in the mod for the sake of keeping it in line with the original release, but given how many people outright hate him it may not have been the best choice exactly

well that is a shame. but do bear in mind that boss isn't mod exclusive, as this is the original version of brak eggman before his fight was changed completely into what we have today. we opted to keep it in the mod for the sake of keeping it in line with the original release, but given how many people outright hate him it may not have been the best choice exactly
Yeah. It should definitely be replaced with more recent version

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back