The Pony Thread (My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm just gonna humor the moment and leave this here. . .

Celestia_OBEY_dirty.jpg

I was going to take your post seriously until I read this. Now I'm too busy laughing. *Ha! Ha!*
Same here. I agree that Episode 3 was weak, but Greg, you're being overly cynical about what is really just a show for kids.

I'm pretty excited for the next episode too. Maybe i won't hate Princess Luna so much after it. I hope I can find some time this weekend to watch it though.

Since "Suited for Success" when she became a shut in after the fashion show that ruined her rep.
You got TOLD!

Pictures may speak a thousand words, but sometimes pictures lie. Remember old War World I propaganda pieces with the U-boats having turrets intentionally shooting down American ships? And given how Discord presented himself in both parts, I kind of doubt the validity of the murals.

Yes, that's a definite possibility, but you have no reason to assume that. I mean, besides a misinterpretation of a quote someone said. The very rules of science dictate that it's more logical to assume that Celestia is good and Discord is bad. All the evidence we have shows that.

You know, as far as the human definitions of "good" and "evil" go (which is all derived from, surprise surprise, the one mentality of humans I will ever despise the most: Religion). Oh well, I kind of expect "morality" when the super power in the world is the Nation Under God(c). It's called the Problem of Evil, my dear Charybdiz.
You know, I tend to view you as an intellectual sort of person, but when I read things like this...

The only logical choice is to make that which is most advantageous, not which is quote on quote "right".
...I truly am baffled. You seem to have quite an extremist view on ethics, government, and the purpose (or lack thereof) of life. Before I can even answer you on the sanity and logicality of this, I feel I should ask you some questions.

Here it is: What is your ideal system for humanity? How would it work? What would the consequences of it be? I really want to hear, now. Care to fill me in?

But enough of this. That's beyond what I even said in the first place. You're not going to bother reading my evaluation on this episode?
I never said I didn't read it! I did read it, but I could hardly read it without a grin coming to my face. ;)

What.

Er, that was.... interesting. Just watched the third episode, and I can't say I liked it. Everyone's defining characteristics were magnified, the moral of the story was strange to say the least, and I dunno... there's something off about the animation this time. It's different from the first season, that's for sure. I'm excited for upcoming episodes, but I'll approach them with caution from here on.

*giggle* He's standing on your emerald!

the moral of the story was strange to say the least

A lot of people seem to think this. I admit, I was a bit confused by it when I first thought about it. Then, I remembered all the stories you hear, of people who went through serious stages of depression. No one took them seriously, not even their family, and it ended up in the person committing suicide.
Merely three days after watching the episode, I had a run in with a situation where I was really upset over something, yet no one seemed to take me seriously, and it drove me mad. Luckily for me, I did find one person who understood and was able to chew the others out about the way they were acting towards me.

I guess what the moral was trying to say, is don't be too hasty (C WUT I DID THERE) in brushing off a friend's problems. Just because the problems don't seem big to you doesn't mean they don't need the comfort and help of a good friend.

It seems forced the first time you watch it, but it makes more sense when you go back and think about it a bit, yeah. Also, Twilight learned her own lesson (stop sweating the small stuff so much), even if it's a repeat of "Look Before You Sleep".

I thought it was a great episode, honestly. I don't really see the "different animation" everyone's talking about - maybe a bit more detail in a few shots (the shots of Twilight walking toward the screen were pretty friggin' well-done for 2D animation; just look at those buildings she walks past shrinking toward the distance at the appropriate rate, that must've been hell to do), and certainly Twilight was using expressions I'd not seen from the show before (but then, the episode pretty much called for that), but for the most part it was the same level of animation quality we've gotten from the series in the past.

Only real issue I have is the first part, with Twilight being more OCD than ever before. I mean, I really don't think it's that in-character for her to obsess over how much icing got on a given cupcake...

Anyway, I actually came in here to post one thing. I apologize in advance for this.

Honestly, I think that the moral of the third episode really is an important one. People today are just so insensitive, they don't care what problems are important to their friends, only what are important to them. Its just another example of one of MLP's morals being relevant to more than just the target audience.

I compare this episode to Party of One, because of the visual transformation of the character, how absurd the show is actually willing to get, and the purposeful flanderization of the main character. When I saw how OCD they made Twilight Sparkle, that served two purposes, one is to remind us that YES she is extremely organized as we've seen subtly in Winter Wrap Up and a little less plausible in Look Before You Sleep, and the other was to poke fun at her at the same time.
This isn't new. Applejack's stubborn personality accentuated in the Applebucking episode, and of course there is Dragonshy where Fluttershy was even more ridiculously timid than usual.

I can understand why some didn't like the episode. If you were expecting this season to be bad, then the fact that it came out of the pilot with an episode that was far less tame than Ticket Master might allow you to find what you were looking for. Personally, I loved every moment of it. And to be completely frank, I really identified with Twilight here. Especially the point where despite being in good standing with Princess Celestia, she expected and feared the worst for something like being tardy. I'm almost that bad at times.

I compare this episode to Party of One, because of the visual transformation of the character, how absurd the show is actually willing to get, and the purposeful flanderization of the main character.
I'm sure it doesn't hurt, either, that it's by the same writer.

I'm sure it doesn't hurt, either, that it's by the same writer.

..Herp?

Regardless, I'm not sure what the fuss about Season 2 is about, sure, the writing's changed a little (To an extent of Foster's type of humor) but it's nothing to be dying about. Plus, there's no real distinction between the two besides some insignificant things.

Also, I agree with I'll Begin, the animation is a bit more advanced than Season 1's, and it's really isn't something to be skeptical about. (..Maybe the magic's darker tint may be some getting used to, but still)

Yeah, it's like how the animation in almost every other cartoon evolves over time too. Most notable examples I can think of are Family Guy and The Simpsons

Last edited:
Speaking of art evolution, here are some shots from Saturday's episode. (You'll have to click it or wait a few days to see what I mean.)
311071_304123879605056_118429394841173_1427522_508974532_n.jpg

Trick+or+Treat.jpg

Man, Twilight makes for an adorkable wizard.

Anyway, notice how Luna's hair is now all flowy and misty like Celestia's, instead of what it was like in S1E2.

Huh.

Yeah I'm not sure I'm liking Luna's new look. It's like they mixed her up with Nightmare Moon's assets

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back