Fixed The ERZ2 music loops early and skips about half of the track

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sparkette

For me, there's a noticeable skip at 1:43 (YouTube link, for reference) and then it restarts from what I assume is the loop point. Not only is the skip jarring, but it also means about half of the song never plays.

I've mentioned this on the Discord and someone else confirmed.

I feel like I heard about something like this way back during 2.2's release. But i've always had the full song play whenever I go through ERZ2 (the level's long enough to where it's pretty easy to go past the song's looppoint). So I have no idea what would cause this???

It might be LOOPPOINT itself combined with the legnth of the track. I can't confirm this definitively yet. However I was able to replicate the music skip in the ERZ2 track both in level and in sound test.

I'm not able to reproduce this. I also checked music.dta and the looppoint seems to check out. Does this always happen or does it seem to trigger under certain conditions?

I'm not able to reproduce this. I also checked music.dta and the looppoint seems to check out. Does this always happen or does it seem to trigger under certain conditions?
I'm running 2.2.9 on Linux using digital (i.e. not MIDI) audio. How about the rest of you?

I'm running 2.2.9 on Linux using digital (i.e. not MIDI) audio. How about the rest of you?
Running it on a Windows.
All I did was just go to the level, using the level select.
Can confirm the "wrong loop" happens when listening to the song in Sound Test.

I just realized I quoted you but forgot to answer your question. As far as I can tell, it always happens, unless I switch the audio to MIDI.

Well for now, there are two fixes, one much better than the other.
The better fix - go into your 2.0 or 2.1 srb2 folder, open it in slade, and extract all of the music into a wad file, place it in 2.2's folder and then make a batch file to make it load said wad file and open SRB2 so you do not need to manually load it.
The worse fix - turn on midi music

After some investigation, it turns out that O_ERZ2.ogg in a fresh 2.2.9 install's music.dta is slightly corrupted. At first glance, when comparing it to an earlier version's O_ERZ2.ogg, the files are identical in size, length and tags. However, when playing back the files, the 2.2.9 version skips over half a second of audio at 1:43 into the track. When looking at the files imported into Audacity, the 2.2.9 version is also half a second shorter in length, despite other programs saying that both files are the exact same length, leading me to believe that half second of audio is corrupted and makes SRB2 freak out when it's playing the track.

what.png

My guess is that something went wrong with (de)compression on the music.dta file, but it's hard to say why it's only an issue now... In the meantime, try replacing O_ERZ2 in your music.dta (using SLADE) with the attached music file, which should work properly.

Attachments

• O_ERZ2.zip
    1.6 MB · Views: 96
For me, there's a noticeable skip at 1:43 (YouTube link, for reference) and then it restarts from what I assume is the loop point. Not only is the skip jarring, but it also means about half of the song never plays.

I've mentioned this on the Discord and someone else confirmed.
same thing for the credits iirc, it cuts out this big chunk. That may be intentional though.

But I mean, why can't it just restart the song when it stops playing?
Post automatically merged:

In the meantime, try replacing O_ERZ2 in your music.dta (using SLADE) with the attached music file, which should work properly.
You can modify the music.dta file and join servers?

Last edited:
But I mean, why can't it just restart the song when it stops playing?
Post automatically merged:

You can modify the music.dta file and join servers?
You can add/edit and remove music, but only music and no other files. If you add non-music, the game will crash.

1620819799932.png

In general, music, pallete, and HUD mods are the only three types of mods allowed in any server no matter what mods that server has loaded, for future reference. Modifying music.dta falls under this general whitelist idea.

The full installer and zip for 2.2.9 have been updated to fix this issue. If you don't want to redownload the entire game for one fixed music track, refer to my earlier post in this thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back