The Chaotix

The Chaotix 1

I also agree with how Vector's Beat Dash is performed. The timing goes from perfect to EXTREMELY questionable, it feels like I got the timing down perfectly just to be told it's Early or Late. I either feel like more leeway/freedom is needed when making this move or make an indicator more obvious.

But these characters are still some of the best we ever got, great job!

For some reason, if mighty stomps on a ringslinger item, the server and client will just crash completely for some reason. Is this gonna be fixed?

On the the topic of Mighty: his cling is extremely sensitive and rather disruptive to platforming at times.

See what happens with each character trying to make a jump that requires a step-up:

srb20006.gif

Espio, despite having a cling, makes it up fine. Even if you did cling, it's not a big deal because Espio would run up the wall. The ability works with your intention and gets you to the same place. On the other hand, Mighty immediately sticks to the wall, cutting your jump short and also sending you flying in the opposite direction of where you were trying to go. This also makes it difficult to hammer drop springs that are next to walls because you end up clinging to the wall instead.

I really think the easiest and most simple way to fix this is to just remap Mighty's cling to Spin. It keeps the functionality of everything intact as is, and Spin is a much more deliberate button press than just holding Jump which makes sense for Mighty's more deliberate ability.

I really think the easiest and most simple way to fix this is to just remap Mighty's cling to Spin. It keeps the functionality of everything intact as is, and Spin is a much more deliberate button press than just holding Jump which makes sense for Mighty's more deliberate ability.
uh what about shields what about the custom buttons

Writing down a lot of complaints. But, before I do, I just wanna make sure it's known that all of these characters are still some of the best ever made for SRB2, regardless of my nitpicks. Amazing sprites and it's very clear that there's been so much love put into this release!

- Espio - 4/5

A lot of my issues with Espio are things that existed in the old version too, and I wasn't expecting to see any differences to them, so the stuff that is improved is a pleasant surprise. The old Espio just had that very straight-forward charge double jump slow fall, where you just charged to max and released and that was pretty much all there was to the depth. Comparatively, Focus Shift is way more fun & interesting, and has more ways to use it. I actually appreciate that it's harder to get on ceilings using it.

I still would like to see wall running to be more natural and momentum based. I would prefer to see your current movement speed transition into the wall, instead of it being mostly just a set speed. Instead of slowing down a bunch at the end of an arbitrary timer, apply a constant force and slip off when you lose too much speed. It's also just feels strange how you need speed to stay on walls, but you don't need any to stick to the ceiling. As it is now, it's fine I guess, but it feels very obvious just how arbitrary/fake the wall cling is. But again, these are all of the same suggestions I made for the old Espio, and I wasn't expecting these things to be changed any, so it's whatev.

- Mighty - 2/5

I'm going to be honest. I used to be a Mighty fan, but after Mania Plus I have to put an asterisk on that, because they made his ability a stomp. I really don't like stomp moves, and because of Mania all fan projects are now going to make him "the guy with the boring stomp move" instead of "the guy with the cool wall kick". I like that you can go into Drop Dash with Hammer Drop, that's kind of neat and gives it an option to keep flow going. But I go back to not liking it, because Hammer Drop is on the same input as Wall Kick, which is very nasty since they're two polar opposite abilities.

I'm really not sure what to recommend for this, since even though I don't like Hammer Drop, I wouldn't dare suggest deleting it because there's a lot of effort put into it + I get the desire to replicate one of his official abilities from the games. Maybe make Hammer Drop itself a charge input like Drop Dash (charge up, hear sound cue / see animation change, release to slam down), so it's harder to do on accident? I dunno. As it is now, the input mix ups are too frustrating when they happen, this is unfortunately the only character from this pack I won't return to as is.

- Charmy - 5/5

His abilities are a bit spammy, but that's just accurate to Charmy, so I wouldn't feel right docking points for that. The abilities themselves are still more swag compared to actual Chaotix, so they're a super fun character. The extra touches like getting your stinger stuck in geometry, and the bee sounds when running, are also really fun. In particular I like the stinger getting stuck as a punishment for missing enemy bounces with the downwards sting, that makes it feel just a touch more risk-reward than it would be otherwise.

- Vector - 4/5

Vector is absolutely gorgeous, and his abilities are extremely cool, but they have a lot of minor annoyances which make him, well, annoying to use.

Beat Bash is fun, I like that it's Rebound Dash but with the dumb wall humping that makes it annoying to witness removed. So, I want to clarify that I like that it's punishing and that there's a timing element. The problem I have is that the feedback for the correct timing is very vague. I think the character blinks, but even when I'm looking for that I can't always see it. (I only even noticed it after playing for a long time, I thought for a good while you just had to guess...) I wish there was a sound cue or some kind of big particle effect to make it more palatable, as it is now it can feel pretty inconsistent. It's also a huge shame that this ability does not take cmd.latency into account to make the timing more lenient under netgame lag, so it's practically unusable in multiplayer.

Record Rush is the most fun part of Vector to me, but it feels kind of like this ability was only designed for largest of empty sandbox maps. Even using it in GFZ is pretty finnicky and difficult, and you can forget about it in any harder zones. Just always find myself wishing for just the sliiightest bit of extra turning, feels like I just barely touch the corner of everything. Not sure what to suggest for harder stages, rolling loses you a lot of control for very few tangible benefits. Maybe a higher jump while you're in this state, and/or make colliding with a ledge while in the air bump you up & away from it so you can go into Beat Bash and recover.

- Heavy - 3/5

I feel so conflicted about this guy. I want to put this guy at 5/5, I really do. I love seeing the two Chaotix robos get attention and love, they're my favorite designs besides maybe classic Vector. They are basically Wario dash + Plague Knight charge jump rolled into one character, which feels made for me. I really want them to be my favorite in the whole pack.

But I really can't stand the stomp, it's my kryptonite.
- All of the problems as Hammer Drop on Mighty; it's a very touchy "go down instantly" ability on the same input as the "go up slightly" ability.
- Sets all horizontal momentum to 0. I generally find stomp moves boring period, but even Hammer Drop doesn't do this.
- Since the jump encourages you to charge it in advance, it makes the random accidental slope launches even more frustrating.
- I just don't understand why it exists at all. It's not a reference to an actual game like Hammer Drop is for Mighty. Is there some very niche scenario in the vanilla campaign that I couldn't find where you can't get the stomp effect from falling from a high jump?

All of my suggestions to fix this would be:
- Delete the stomp ability.
- Make the jump chargeable in the air.
- Charging jump in the air increases your gravity.
- Remove the nerf on air-jumping.

The idea being that if there needs to be a way to get the strong falling effect on-demand, it should be wrapped into one of his other abilities. Going into "wide mode engaged" in the air just feels like the perfect way to do so. I suggested removing the nerf on air-jumping, because ideally the extra gravity while doing so should balance out against the extra jump power.

Also, Heavy is currently the only character in the whole pack whose abilities are still enabled in SRB2infinity. This means there's 5 whole characters that already work out of the box flawlessly that I can't use, just because there's 1 character in the pack that doesn't work. Not a big deal, but it's just an example of a bit of a pet peeve I have with trying to host and maintain servers with characters that are only packed together because "it's hype" :p

- Bomb - 5/5

This guy is pretty simple but they are pure raw cocaine. Probably the best and my favorite in the whole pack, but again I am biased in favor of Eggman's mechanics. Honestly, do I have to say anything other than "this character has hitstun"?
My view on these characters is exactly the same. Except for Mighty and Bomb. Bomb gets a 1 in my book for being useless. Mighty is an instant 5/5 because it's about time we have a proper Mighty mod for 2.2, and he was executed perfectly.

Also, word of advice, don't complain about stomp abilities being on the jump button. Yes, they're out of place, but I complained about it with Gemma and her Tera-riser ability. I don't want a repeat of what happened after that, and you probably shouldn't let that happen to you either.

- Bomb - 5/5

This guy is pretty simple but they are pure raw cocaine. Probably the best and my favorite in the whole pack, but again I am biased in favor of Eggman's mechanics. Honestly, do I have to say anything other than "this character has hitstun"?
9/5 i can teamkill with the self destruct this is gold C'mere cupcake *escape plan taunt*

Regarding Mighty's hammer drop I would just move it to the Spin key, and make the wall cling require a second jump input

So I have a problem where this mod seems to be incompatible with certain character mods. Usually I like to turn on all of my favorites that are compatible and do like encore mode, but when I do that, half the Chaotix don't even appear in the character select despite there being NO warnings about conflicts in the code, so I don't know which characters are incompatible. If it helps, here's a list of the character mods I turn on: Adventure Sonic, the Deltarune trio, Modern Sonic, Metal Knuckles & Tails Doll, Blaze and Marine, Shadow, Surge, Team Kinetic, Whisper, Silver, and Werehog Sonic
Post automatically merged:

Update: The problem was apparently Whisper, Silver, and Werehog Sonic. I could do without Whisper and maybe Werehog Sonic, but I could never remove Silver from my Encore lineup, which is a shame because this mod would otherwise be great for it

Update 2: If I just remove Whisper, Espio, Vector, Charmy, and Mighty are still available. Before, Vector was unavailable, but I think I'm willing to trade Whisper for Vector

Last edited:
- Heavy - 3/5

I feel so conflicted about this guy. I want to put this guy at 5/5, I really do. I love seeing the two Chaotix robos get attention and love, they're my favorite designs besides maybe classic Vector. They are basically Wario dash + Plague Knight charge jump rolled into one character, which feels made for me. I really want them to be my favorite in the whole pack.

- All of the problems as Hammer Drop on Mighty; it's a very touchy "go down instantly" ability on the same input as the "go up slightly" ability.
- Sets all horizontal momentum to 0. I generally find stomp moves boring period, but even Hammer Drop doesn't do this.
- Since the jump encourages you to charge it in advance, it makes the random accidental slope launches even more frustrating.
- I just don't understand why it exists at all. It's not a reference to an actual game like Hammer Drop is for Mighty. Is there some very niche scenario in the vanilla campaign that I couldn't find where you can't get the stomp effect from falling from a high jump?
Speaking personally, I find Heavy's stomp useful for precise platforming. If you're holding spin it can be hard to make an accurate landing because it completely takes air control while active, and even if you let go to get air control back, SRB2's air control is... well, y'know. And Heavy's natural sluggishness only compounds that issue. So I imagine the design intent of the stomp was to offer a more effective way of controlling Heavy's mid-air horizontal position than just "let go of spin, hold back, and hope for the best." Trying Mystic Realm's Prismatic Angel with Heavy certainly made me appreciate the move.

You do still have your point, though. There have been enough times I've wanted to prep a (charge) jump, mistimed the input, and ended up careening into a bottomless pit for it. I think that maybe mapping the stomp to a double-tap of jump, while slightly less intuitive, will ensure that no one stomps when they don't mean to- and double-tapping already has precedent in Heavy's moveset as is. Double-tapping could be the solution that keeps Mighty's hammer drop and wall cling on the same button, too. (I assume both moves were tied to jump in the first place for being more naturally intuitive.)

It's very clearly a character pack that went through a massive amount of combined effort on everyone's parts - exuding so much quality and attention to detail just from watching their reveal trailer alone. You could say right from the get-go this got me to Lock On to it like a salvo of homing missiles and when I get around to dabbling into each of them I already know one way or another my playthroughs are gonna prove to be a Blitz every time

Also, word of advice, don't complain about stomp abilities being on the jump button. Yes, they're out of place, but I complained about it with Gemma and her Tera-riser ability. I don't want a repeat of what happened after that, and you probably shouldn't let that happen to you either.
I said having more than one ability that have opposite uses on the same input are bad, not specifically having stomps on jump is bad. I like Gemma's ability because it's the only thing on that input (so it's harder to accidentally use), and it doesn't instantly override your momentum (thus accidental uses of it are easier to react to).

I'm really not sure what to recommend for this, since even though I don't like Hammer Drop, I wouldn't dare suggest deleting it because there's a lot of effort put into it + I get the desire to replicate one of his official abilities from the games. Maybe make Hammer Drop itself a charge input like Drop Dash (charge up, hear sound cue / see animation change, release to slam down), so it's harder to do on accident? I dunno. As it is now, the input mix ups are too frustrating when they happen, this is unfortunately the only character from this pack I won't return to as is.
BIG agree on the Hammer Drop's input. I usually prefer when character mods keep all ability inputs on as few buttons as possible but I would be fine with the Hammer Drop being moved to spin.

One more thing about Vector, maybe something can be done to make the Spindash turning easier on the controller. It made a handful of levels more tedious if I had to proceed through a tight space.

Writing down a lot of complaints. But, before I do, I just wanna make sure it's known that all of these characters are still some of the best ever made for SRB2, regardless of my nitpicks. Amazing sprites and it's very clear that there's been so much love put into this release!

- Espio - 4/5

A lot of my issues with Espio are things that existed in the old version too, and I wasn't expecting to see any differences to them, so the stuff that is improved is a pleasant surprise. The old Espio just had that very straight-forward charge double jump slow fall, where you just charged to max and released and that was pretty much all there was to the depth. Comparatively, Focus Shift is way more fun & interesting, and has more ways to use it. I actually appreciate that it's harder to get on ceilings using it.

I still would like to see wall running to be more natural and momentum based. I would prefer to see your current movement speed transition into the wall, instead of it being mostly just a set speed. Instead of slowing down a bunch at the end of an arbitrary timer, apply a constant force and slip off when you lose too much speed. It's also just feels strange how you need speed to stay on walls, but you don't need any to stick to the ceiling. As it is now, it's fine I guess, but it feels very obvious just how arbitrary/fake the wall cling is. But again, these are all of the same suggestions I made for the old Espio, and I wasn't expecting these things to be changed any, so it's whatev.

- Mighty - 2/5

I'm going to be honest. I used to be a Mighty fan, but after Mania Plus I have to put an asterisk on that, because they made his ability a stomp. I really don't like stomp moves, and because of Mania all fan projects are now going to make him "the guy with the boring stomp move" instead of "the guy with the cool wall kick". I like that you can go into Drop Dash with Hammer Drop, that's kind of neat and gives it an option to keep flow going. But I go back to not liking it, because Hammer Drop is on the same input as Wall Kick, which is very nasty since they're two polar opposite abilities.

- Charmy - 5/5

His abilities are a bit spammy, but that's just accurate to Charmy, so I wouldn't feel right docking points for that. The abilities themselves are still more swag compared to actual Chaotix, so they're a super fun character. The extra touches like getting your stinger stuck in geometry, and the bee sounds when running, are also really fun. In particular I like the stinger getting stuck as a punishment for missing enemy bounces with the downwards sting, that makes it feel just a touch more risk-reward than it would be otherwise.

- Vector - 4/5

Vector is absolutely gorgeous, and his abilities are extremely cool, but they have a lot of minor annoyances which make him, well, annoying to use.

Beat Bash is fun, I like that it's Rebound Dash but with the dumb wall humping that makes it annoying to witness removed. So, I want to clarify that I like that it's punishing and that there's a timing element. The problem I have is that the feedback for the correct timing is very vague. I think the character blinks, but even when I'm looking for that I can't always see it. (I only even noticed it after playing for a long time, I thought for a good while you just had to guess...) I wish there was a sound cue or some kind of big particle effect to make it more palatable, as it is now it can feel pretty inconsistent. It's also a huge shame that this ability does not take cmd.latency into account to make the timing more lenient under netgame lag, so it's practically unusable in multiplayer.

Record Rush is the most fun part of Vector to me, but it feels kind of like this ability was only designed for largest of empty sandbox maps. Even using it in GFZ is pretty finnicky and difficult, and you can forget about it in any harder zones. Just always find myself wishing for just the sliiightest bit of extra turning, feels like I just barely touch the corner of everything. Not sure what to suggest for harder stages, rolling loses you a lot of control for very few tangible benefits. Maybe a higher jump while you're in this state, and/or make colliding with a ledge while in the air bump you up & away from it so you can go into Beat Bash and recover.

- Heavy - 3/5

The idea being that if there needs to be a way to get the strong falling effect on-demand, it should be wrapped into one of his other abilities. Going into "wide mode engaged" in the air just feels like the perfect way to do so. I suggested removing the nerf on air-jumping, because ideally the extra gravity while doing so should balance out against the extra jump power.

Also, Heavy is currently the only character in the whole pack whose abilities are still enabled in SRB2infinity. This means there's 5 whole characters that already work out of the box flawlessly that I can't use, just because there's 1 character in the pack that doesn't work. Not a big deal, but it's just an example of a bit of a pet peeve I have with trying to host and maintain servers with characters that are only packed together because "it's hype" :p

- Bomb - 5/5

This guy is pretty simple but they are pure raw cocaine. Probably the best and my favorite in the whole pack, but again I am biased in favor of Eggman's mechanics. Honestly, do I have to say anything other than "this character has hitstun"
do not forget. Espio's sprite when running is a little less than perfect and when Espio is climbing a wall. If you want to know, I mean just try playing the Espio character while spinning it around. then look at the sprite. If you understand, I hope the espio sprites will be improved a little

- Espio - 4/5

- Mighty - 2/5

- Charmy - 5/5

- Vector - 4/5

- Heavy - 3/5

- Bomb - 5/5

This guy is pretty simple but they are pure raw cocaine. Probably the best and my favorite in the whole pack, but again I am biased in favor of Eggman's mechanics. Honestly, do I have to say anything other than "this character has hitstun"
do not forget. Espio's sprite when running is a little less than perfect and when Espio is climbing a wall. If you want to know, I mean just try playing the Espio character while spinning it around. then look at the sprite. If you understand, I hope the espio sprites will be improved a little

BIG agree on the Hammer Drop's input. I usually prefer when character mods keep all ability inputs on as few buttons as possible but I would be fine with the Hammer Drop being moved to spin.
Would be better if wall jump was moved to spin actually

On the the topic of Mighty: his cling is extremely sensitive and rather disruptive to platforming at times.

See what happens with each character trying to make a jump that requires a step-up:

srb20006.gif

Espio, despite having a cling, makes it up fine. Even if you did cling, it's not a big deal because Espio would run up the wall. The ability works with your intention and gets you to the same place. On the other hand, Mighty immediately sticks to the wall, cutting your jump short and also sending you flying in the opposite direction of where you were trying to go. This also makes it difficult to hammer drop springs that are next to walls because you end up clinging to the wall instead.

I definitely agree with the rebind, but I also think a proper addition to this issue is allowing Mighty to slide vertically similarly to how he horizontally slides as it brings more flow to the gameplay. Allowing more freedom without interrupting most of your current vertical momentum, and it fixes the first issue mentioned here! Said addition can be adjusted and balanced to prevent it being too OP depending on what the developers intend, but we all know this is just a hypothetical.

If you love inducing slight thought, you could also make clinging out of a Hammer Drop less viable by making you slide downwards.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back