T3H 1.09!!!4!!1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sik said:
10th. I played this map. It was in one of the three versions of the SRB2 Tournament WAD (I can't remember if was the first or the second).
You DO realize that a lot of the maps from the tournament WAD were 1.09 maps, right? :roll:

It looks interesting, but it needs more of the almighty Elephant Hit.

(Note: That's a sound clip from Schoolhouse, and NOT what I sound like. Seriously, it's there. It's not used, but it's there.)

None of the pictures shown off indicated new single/co-op levels. Since I am not able to find netgames these days, and since my younger brother isn't into the game (he played Co-op with me over LAN, and we beat Greenflower and Castle Eggman together), I mostly play by myself, the traditional way.

I'd like to see a teaser picture of a new single/co-op map if possible, just to indicate that more are being made for v1.09. The main site indicates about 7 zones being made, and this game has only 3 - 3 really well-made, very fun zones, but still only 3.

FuriousFox said:
You could always download some of the single player wads in the addons section of the website.

I realize that. And some, like Poisoned Paradise, are great. I'm talking about official maps, and expanding the standard game. I want to see the standard game grow to become closer to the goal of 30 levels that is cited on the "Zones" section of this website.

I've noticed that a lot of people tell me, when I mention that I'd like to see something in the game, that I can go and download or make it myself. I understand that (though when it comes to creating, I don't really have that kind of skill), but I'd like to see the official, stand-alone game grow. For a couple reasons. One, most of the people I'd like to share this game with are not the types of people who go around and look for add-on content. Two, I'd like to run srb2win.exe and have a large, depth-filled game (it already has TONS of depth even now!!) to explore.

So I understand your intent, and you're right that there are some good maps out there, but I'd like to see the official SRB2 expand.

I got an idea. How about if, with level designers' permission, some of their levels get added in a special "community" mode that's added to the official game? It could be a separate set of levels that is unlocked after completing the main game, and they could be selectable. How about that idea? Sonic Team did something similar in Chu Chu Rocket for Gameboy Advance, in which they included tons of levels made by people from Europe, the USA, and Japan.

CGally said:
I realize that. And some, like Poisoned Paradise, are great. I'm talking about official maps, and expanding the standard game. I want to see the standard game grow to become closer to the goal of 30 levels that is cited on the "Zones" section of this website.

I've noticed that a lot of people tell me, when I mention that I'd like to see something in the game, that I can go and download or make it myself. I understand that (though when it comes to creating, I don't really have that kind of skill), but I'd like to see the official, stand-alone game grow. For a couple reasons. One, most of the people I'd like to share this game with are not the types of people who go around and look for add-on content. Two, I'd like to run srb2win.exe and have a large, depth-filled game (it already has TONS of depth even now!!) to explore.

So I understand your intent, and you're right that there are some good maps out there, but I'd like to see the official SRB2 expand.

I got an idea. How about if, with level designers' permission, some of their levels get added in a special "community" mode that's added to the official game? It could be a separate set of levels that is unlocked after completing the main game, and they could be selectable. How about that idea? Sonic Team did something similar in Chu Chu Rocket for Gameboy Advance, in which they included tons of levels made by people from Europe, the USA, and Japan.
SRB2 1.09 does not include any new single player stages. However, soon after release of 1.09 will see the release of Mystic Realm, which I assure you is much bigger than you can possibly imagine. It will more than tide you over for new single player content.

Since 1.09 does not include new single player stages, is 1.1 still on track for the original 30 level goal cited on the "Zones" page of this site?

I get the impression that 1.09 is largely a "features" update, with most of the content going to competitive modes. Could you tell us what kinds of features might affect single player or co-op? Will there be modifications to existing levels (i.e. extensions, new hidden areas, etc)? An earlier post in this thread gave me the impression there might be changes to some of the current levels; I forget exactly what it said.

However, I am looking forward to the new Mystic Realm. The current version I have downloaded I think stands to be a little spruced up - I think the levels, while nice, are not quite on par with regular SRB2. Still, I am very grateful for the new add-on content.

Thanks much for your reply!

The people here preffer netgames over single games. That's the reason because the majority (I mispelled it?) of the features are for netgames.

The current priority is to just get 1.09 out. 1.1 will have to wait until the code is cleaned up and we're ready to continue working.

1.09 is mainly a features and bugfix update. It is not focused on multiplayer, really, it's pretty much a sprucing up of the whole engine and a bunch of little tweaks across the board, particularly for level designers. The game handles errors a lot better, and has a lot of little things added to help with level design, from new specials to a message that tells you that the level was not correctly nodesbuilt.

There are minor modifications to the single player stages, mostly to fix quirks or alter difficulty level in a few areas. However, those changes are rather minor and will not make the official one-player stages feel very different. It's mostly little tweaks that wouldn't be noticable unless you pay attention.

1.09 is truly not exciting on its own, really. The main thing it has are a bunch of bugfixes and stuff that makes it easier to mod. The thing that makes 1.09 exciting is Mystic Realm v4, which has over 20 stages, all of which modified or new. I really cannot describe how incredibly different MR4 is from MR3. There is just SO much more content, and the game has been balanced so that it actually plays well as a cohesive game, without the original SRB2 stages at the beginning to screw with the balance. MR4 will more than make up for the lack of new single player content in the main game.

The reality of it is that the past year has been very slow in terms of progress, and we're trying to clean up the code and release at this point so we can continue with the project and actually get stuff done. 1.09 itself is not exciting, but the fact that I'll be able to release MR4, which has been in the works the past 15 months, should prove to have been worth the wait.

I have something for you (plural you, not singular you, don't get confused, Mystic) that you need to add that: the missing textures. In the template for SRB2 WADs (that uses the tutorial in www.srb2.org) are a lot of textures that aren't in the game. Can you restore them?

I am glad to hear you are fixing up Mystic Realm. I felt the original levels had good ideas, but not so good implementation (for example, making this one jump on a log in the forest level was nearly impossible and took me forever). I felt the difficulty wasn't tweaked well, and the design really needed work, but the ideas themselves were good. It had the potential to be great if tweaked significantly, and I'm very glad to see you feel the same way too!

So v1.09 is a features fix that is largely transparent while playing the game itself? It'll at least be interesting to see how tweaked the levels are, if minorly. And no longer seeing a bunch of "too many polygons" errors during the Nights level will be a nice relief (I play on OpenGL mode almost exclusively).

Thanks for the update.

After taking a good look at those screenies omega put up, I am dazzled. SRB2 has come a LONG way to come to this. Mystic Realm V4 also is looking good; and CTF seems to look a little better and hopefully dosent bug up as much.

Keep Up The Good Work STjr!

Yeah, Sonic Team Junior is the hardest working, and probably only Sonic fangame group that made a 3D game. To put a long story short, they kick ass.

bigboi said:
Yeah, Sonic Team Junior is the hardest working, and probably only Sonic fangame group that made a 3D game. To put a long story short, they kick ass.

You haven't been paying much attention to what is going on at SFGHQ have you? there are three other 3D fangames (one of which isn't necessarily a fangame, just a halo CE mod.) of which are true 3D instead of the Doom based 2.5D. Not putting anyone down, just stating a fact.

bigboi said:

You forgot to add that they work harder and produce a much better game than Sonic Team Sr. >.>

its scary to think that this topic just might beat the number of pages record previously made by This Topic

EDIT: Could somebody please give me the links to these 3 other 3D Sonic games? i can't seem to find them on SFGHQ

There's no release yet. A few screens on an old topic, and some screens of models. (Maybe a release of them? Some people seem to have them).

Actually, there's the Sonic: Dimension Warped demo thingy.
I had it on my computer. I also discovered the built-in level editor, and made my own little adventure level.

SRB2-Playah said:
Actually, there's the Sonic: Dimension Warped demo thingy.
I had it on my computer. I also discovered the built-in level editor, and made my own little adventure level.

It's the F11 key, isn't it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back