Resource icon

[Character] Т-54 Standalone - You can take the T-54 out of CCCP, can't take the СССР out of T-54

NotablyPrettyCrazy

Fool or Clown?
Т-54 Standalone - You can take the T-54 out of CCCP, can't take the СССР out of T-54

kart0049.gif

A staple character of the CCCP I'd say pack but with the acronym's meaning that'd be redundant, the 1-speed 9-weight Т-54 now also has an independent version to use.

...But why?
Well, CCCP is going to be more hosted than the standalone, that much is certain. But a bit of choice is nice too, I and some of my friends find, what if a server happens to have somehow hit the 128-character limit despite all likelihood but also really wants a Soviet tank as a character, for example? And besides, in a separate thread I could stuff in a tank-history lesson, a Russian lesson and also use some cyrilics to get Russian searches to notice and maybe bring more Russians.

To first talk about the Т-54 you need to talk about the tanks before it, the Т-34 and the Т-44. By the latter half of WW2, despite the T-34 production already having been kicked into high gear, it was thought to be a bit undergunned, among other things but the undergunned bit is the most important aspect, so the СССР(known in English as the USSR but let's stick to the Russian version to make everything confusing) had tasked a factory to manufacture, and a guy to design a successor with an 85mm cannon vs the T-34's 76mm at the time, which would become known as the T-44, which as you may guess by the name, was produced, and in service, in 1944. ...But as you might not guess, the design was in 1943. There was just one problem with the T-44, by the time it was produced the T-34 already had a version with the exact same armament and an identical turret, as well as having way more units produced in factories vs the T-44, which didn't offer too many advantages compared to the T-34-85, so the 44's total units produced was left at slightly below 2000 units, compared to the T-34-85's total of 48,950. And despite the T-44 being ready, it never actually saw any combat service.
...But the T-44 had potential. The hull was thought to be pretty well protected and less cramped, alongside other design advantages, and there were attempts to upgun the T-44 even further, both with a 100mm gun and a 122mm, and it was decided that the 100mm was the better choice, but after said 100mm, though the turret wasn't really fit for said 100mm gun.

Thus, at some point, the T-44 modernization projects were cancelled, but were instead focused on making the Т-54, which at the time, didn't really look like a T-54, atleast the one sprited for Kart, this variant is known as the T-54-1, it featured a plainer-looking cannon, and a turret full of shot traps(which isn't much of a good thing all things considered) and like the T-34, you might not guess that the year it was made in doesn't match the number, as it was made in 1946. But by 1949 the turret was changed and the T-54-2 was starting to take a pretty different shape, which is a bit closer to the one here, but still featured shot traps at the rear half. But it wouldn't take long as by 1951, the turret of the T-54-3 ended up looking like the tank well-known nowadays, although it would take a few more years 'til 1955 for it to become the T-54A which had some slight improvements but also started the international usage of the tank with the licensing being sold to China to make the Type-59/ZTZ-59/WZ-120, which weirdly is still in Chinese use to this day, it's just less weird when you realize they loved the T-54A's turret so much they put a similar one on alot of their tracked vehicles(Type-62, Type-63 sort of, Type-69, Type-79, Type-80, Type-88, and that's not including Chinese prototypes!). And thenin 1957 there was the T-54B, which improved the T-54's cannon a bit further, as well as equipment to fight at night better.
Though said T-54B didn't last too long, as after that came the Т-55, which went even further with improvements, including enhanced Nuclear protection, which came at the cost of the dome-looking ventilator on the T-54's turret(and thus is one way to tell them apart), but some T-54s were apparently upgraded to T-55-spec, which makes it somewhat harder to tell them apart, and is probably the reason they both share a page on the English wikipedia. Though really, for further detailed info just go read either said page or the Tank Encyclopedia webpages for both the T-54 and T-55

That said, the T-54 and T-55 ended up achieving what the T-44 couldn't, having been produced way more than both the T-34 variants, it's estimated that 86,000 of both have been built minimum, saw a fair lot more conflicts even if most of them didn't quite involve the СССР anyway, and is still used in a fair lot of countries to this day, with countless variants throughout the world. And although it's performance is considerably dated against more modern tanks, there are versions of T-54s, T-55s and Type-59s that have been modernized to give them a better edge in modernized warfare, such as the Т-55М5, T-55AGM, TR-85, and the Type-59G, which isn't actually a Type-59 made out gold. And incidentally, all the modernized variants are messier to sprite

As for the one in SRB2Kart, uhhh....
At some point, Т-54 №308 became really afraid of Finland because of how badly they beat up the СССР back then, and at an incredibly further point, decided to station itself either in a defensive position that was really close to them, or away from them on an island owned by the СССР closer to Japan, nobody's really sure which is the case and he isn't telling to have his spot revealed, but at some point in 2019 it felt like it was missing the comfort of the motherland, and having never really heard that the СССР the country wasn't quite a thing due to how remote the spot was, joined CCCP the pack not quite knowing it was in the Latin alphabet instead, didn't seem to mind the weirdness much though, despite wondering when Garfield became devoted to the country. The independent PK3 version is just one that thinks it's sneaking into "enemy territory"
Though I should probably mention that normal T-54s have a top speed of about 50 km/h, but without boosting Т-54 №308 can do 68 km/h on a bad day(AKA easy mode) and 98 km/h on a great day(AKA hard mode) so there's definitely some customized engineering going on in the engine, implying №308 has some crazy tuning knowledge or an amazing engineswap, or both. Or possible relation to the T-62A Sport
Also, imagine what its thoughts would be upon seeing a Finnish T-54 or T-55 like this one

Right, this will be doing what Japanese-speaking characters and packs with them didn't, and providing translations for every line the T-54 uses, providing the written versions of the lines too, in both cyrilic and latin, because it's scientifically proved subs don't help you learn languages too much if you don't know how to write it too, but anyway let's start from the top, shall we?
Also just play some elevator music in the background it's a bit of a read.

DS54ATK1 - *стреляющий бум*(/*strelyayushiy boom*) - *shooty boom*, a pretty piercing and loud sound that is usually made when firing a high-velocity projectile from a cannon of a militaristic vehicle, a cannon like, say, for example, a 100mm D-10T tank gun, usually either a sign of aggression, or target practice. Neither of which happens to be very good for the target.

DS54ATK2 - Так ему!(/Tak yemu!) - The first actual sentence used by the Т-54, and unfortunately one that doesn't have very direct translations, the literal translation would be "so/that/like-this him" but the more contextual translation would be like the "serves him" in "serves him right". Incidentally it would also mean the T-54 can't tell apart guys and girls but let's not focus on that

DS54BOS1 - Давай!(/Davay!) - An excited exclamation, in the context of the boost it could easily be translated to "Come On!" here, but be careful in that other Russian contexts the same word can also mean "Let's".

DS54BOS2 - Заряжай!(/Zaryazhay!) - Now, admittedly, this one is a bit of a stretch, the word itself can translate to "Charge" but it'd be as in electrical charging and not cavalry charge, but in the original sourcegame it's closer to "Load", specifically loading ammunition, which I suppose could theoretically make sense if you boost before an itembox.

DS54GLOA - *первые четыре секунды гимна СССР*(/*pervye chetire sekundy gimna SSSR*) - *first four seconds (of the) anthem (of the) USSR*, the initial beginnings of a song chosen to identify the nation known in English as the USSR, though it is interesting to note that the modern-day Russian anthem has the same backing track, just different lyrics.

DS54HITM - Попал!(/Popal!) - Imagine the two words "Hit them!", now imagine it being one word, then imagine it meaning specifically ranged attacks as opposed to melee, and then imagine having already done that action, but just reaffirming that you've done it. Yeah, all that is попал and it'd be nice for you to not forget the л.

DS54HRT1 - Заряжающий ранен!(/Zaryazhayushiy ranen!) - An urgently distressed message saying that the Loader is injured, poor loader. And unlike DS54BOS2, since it's a noun here, the "charger" meaning wouldn't work as well here. It would work as an adjective, mind you, but this sentence doesn't have adjectives.

DS54HRT2 - В нас попали!(/V nas popali!) - An urgent but arguably less distressed more shocked message stating "We've been hit!", or, more accurately, "(They've) hit {into} us!" except the into's at the start and the us is in the middle, the they've on the other hand just doesn't exist.

DS54LOSE - ДВИГАТЬСА ДАЛЬШЕ НЕ МОЖЕМ, МОТОР СДОХ!(/DVIGATSA DAL'SHE NE MOZHEM, MOTOR SDOH!) - An extremely urgent, and possibly-frustrated saying informing the crew that, it turns out, (WE) CAN'T MOVE (ANY) FURTHER, (THE) MOTOR DIED!(although in this case it's probably the engine but eh, same difference)

DS54SLOW - Веду цель!(/Vedu Tsel'!) - There's direct vision on a target, furthermore you're keeping attention on the target, and maybe possibly, you're leading (the gun/optics together with) the target

DS54WIN - *часть тематической музыки "Hell March" из Command and Conquer: Red Alert*(/*Chast' tematicheskoy muzyki "Хелл Марч" iz Комманд анд Конкер: Ред Алерт*) - *part of the theme music "Hell March" from Command & Conquer: Red Alert*. ...Yeah that one's pretty self-explanatory isn't it, specifically the part at about 0:32 up to about 0:38 but not to the satisfying part at 0:40 because otherwise it'd be too long.
...Also yes for English series' names we tend to just say the English version but if you really wanna know. the literal Russian translations would be "Адский марш"(/Adskiy Marsh) and "Коммандируй и Покори: Красная Тревога"(/Commandiruy i Pokori: Krasnaya Trevoga")

Please also note that I legally do not claim responsibility to foreigners deciding/wanting to learn Russian, And as a Russian using English I'm not entirely sure why you would, but hey incase you do more power to ya.

NotablyPrettyCrazy(Hey I know that guy!) - Spriting, putting the wad/pk3 together, sending it to CCCP
.Jazz. - Some of the sounds that I couldn't download/cut-down/record, namely WIN, ATK1 and GLOA
Chrispy - Deciding to make CCCP, prompting me to actually sprite the thing within a timely manner, also hosting a server and recording the kart0249 gif
LSAngel - Proofreading the translations
This specific blueprint of a Type-59 T-54 - being the basis of the front, side and rear frames
This specific art render for being the direct reference for the signpost sprite
This specific video of a different tank drifting - reaffirming why the T-54 is a 9 weight 1 speed character
tanks.gg - Giving a 3D model for further concrete reference points for the tank albeit I still used the Type-59 and WZ-120 models because the T-54 ones have different turrets
World of Tanks - Actually having the models that are used on tanks.gg
[insert name of Wargaming modeller who did the specific tanks] - Actually making the models that are in World of Tanks that are used on tanks.gg
Frank Klepacki + Command & Conquer: Red Alert - the bit of Hell March used as the win "voiceline"
Alexander Alexandrov - the music of the USSR/Russian national anthem
The USSR/СССР - its likeness being used
Object 775 - its likeness being used for the squish frames
War Thunder - Crew Voice sound effects as well as the tank cannon shooting sound
[insert the voice actors of the Russian crew voices] - Actually having voice acted the crew voices that are in War Thunder
[whoever recorded the sound of the cannon shooting]
[whoever loaned a tank to the guy and/or crew who recorded the sound of the cannon shooting]
[whoever built the tank and the components that was loaned in the first place so it could be used to record the sound of the cannon shooting]
[whoever invented tanks in the first place]
[whoever modernized tanks in the second place]
[whoever further modernized tanks into MBTs instead of heavies]
[whoever just built the T-54 and Type-59 and T-44 and T-34 and Object 775 in general]
[whoever invented the wheel]
[whoever somehow invented gunpowder]
[whoever studied aerodynamics]
[whoever invented engines]
[whoever made the recording equipment]
[whoever invented the ability to make the recording equipment]
[whoever just invented computers](I mean we wouldn't be here without them would we?)
[whoever invented the internet](we still wouldn't be here without 'em)
[the ISP that gave me internet](I wouldn't be here without 'em technically, aside from other ISPs)
[parents and grandparents and the whole family tree really](wouldn't be here much without them either)
[whoever build the house I reside in as well as the internet and the computer reside in]
gregory_house - making me stick around SRB2 for long enough
Soniko - Support by saying the sprites look good
Anyone else after release supporting the char - supporting the char
Dakras - making the character that got squished by the T-54 in the kart0249 gif
The guy who said hi in the kart0249 gif - his likeness being used
Daniel - recording the kart0143 gif
Mr.Logan - hosting the server that allowed Daniel to record the kart0143 gif
[actually just include the family trees of everyone previously listed]
Generally every vehicle I sprited beforehand that helped betterify my spriting
Bill Gates & Microsoft - making Windows, specifically later versions of Windows
And his family tree
Paint.net and whoever made it - I mean the T-54 would technically not be here much without it
And their family tree
SRB2Kart - existing to the T-54 could also exist in there
SRB2Kart devs - making SRB2Kart so that the T-54 could also exist there
And their family tree
SRB2 - existing so that the SRB2Kart devs could make SRB2Kart out of it so that the T-54 could also exist there(although theoretically it could exist in SRB2 too)
SRB2 devs - making SRB2 so that it could exist so that the SRB2Kart devs could make it into SRB2Kart so that the T-54 could also exist in SRB2Kart
and their family tree
D00D64(probably) - Approving CCCP and maybe this for the releases section but the CCCP approval still counts
and their family tree
A different MB staff person - just incase someone else approved this instead, otherwise credit D00D64 twice
and their family tree just incase
vBulletin - Forming the base of the SRB2 Message Board so that SRB2 mods could exist well
vBulletin devs - Making vBulletin so that the SRB2 Message Board could use it as a base so that SRB2 mods could exist well
and their family tree
SRB2 Riders and KartZ and its devs - oh yeah we probably wouldn't be here without it either
And their family tree
DOOM - existing so that some weirdos could turn it into a Sonic platformer which then became a Sonic kart-racer so that the T-54 could against all odds exist in the Sonic kart-racer(ALTHOUGH THEORETICALLY-
id Software - making DOOM
And their family tree
Sonic - existing so that SRB2 could exist so that SRB2Kart could exist
Sonic Riders - existing so that SRB2Kart could timelinedly exist
SEGA - making Sonic so that Sonic Riders could exist so that SRB2 could exist so that SRB2Kart could exist
And their family tree
Mario Kart - I'm pretty sure SRB2Kart wouldn't be too much of an idea without it
Mario - making Mario Kart exist
Nintendo and Shigeru Miyamoto - Making Mario and Mario Kart exist so that SRB2Kart could exist
And his and their family tree
Youtube and the specific users - having the stuff that would end up being the T-54's ingame-voiceclips altogether
And their family tree
MEGA and the person who invented it and the guy who put the WT crew voiceclips up - having the link for the WT crew voiceclips up
And their family tree
Protons, neutrons and electrons - For really sticking it together
And their family tree
The Universe - existing
And its family tree

Anyway, if you haven't already grabbed the CCCP version, go get the standalone here, or probably better yet just get CCCP unless you've got tight filesize/char limits.

Note: On the off-chance I can't be contacted for 2 months and somehow didn't port this char already, I give blanket permission for STJr and its appointed staff to coordinate and approve the porting and maintenance of my releases on the SRB2MB, except where stated otherwise. I reserve the right to ask for those ports to be taken down or replaced if I return. That said, I imagine Kart V2 would have to be very different with its sprite system for this to not be a simple job.

Attachments

• kart0049.gif
    kart0049.gif
    911.1 KB · Views: 1,200
  • KC_T-54_V1.pk3
    1.1 MB · Views: 1,302
  • kart0050.gif
    kart0050.gif
    1.5 MB · Views: 492
  • kart0051.gif
    kart0051.gif
    1.7 MB · Views: 339
  • kart0052.gif
    kart0052.gif
    1.1 MB · Views: 471
  • kart0053.gif
    kart0053.gif
    3.5 MB · Views: 669
  • kart0045.gif
    kart0045.gif
    3.1 MB · Views: 472
  • kart0041.gif
    kart0041.gif
    5.8 MB · Views: 587
  • kart0127.png
    kart0127.png
    116 KB · Views: 384
  • kart0122.png
    kart0122.png
    165.8 KB · Views: 459
  • kart0128.png
    kart0128.png
    438.8 KB · Views: 312
  • kart0129.png
    kart0129.png
    412.9 KB · Views: 408
  • kart0132.png
    kart0132.png
    176.7 KB · Views: 283
  • kart0135.png
    kart0135.png
    445.7 KB · Views: 355
  • kart0137.png
    kart0137.png
    222.8 KB · Views: 335
  • kart0249.gif
    kart0249.gif
    3.3 MB · Views: 479
  • kart0143.gif
    3.9 MB · Views: 370
Last edited:

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back