Suggestions

Enemy Variety & AI Updates

A lot of the AI in SRB2 is 30 year old, dated DOOM AI. It would be neat if each enemy had updated AI to make them more unique or real. A lot of times it feels like the enemies are just “there”, and there’s no real reason to go out of your way to bust them. Their whole purpose is to be an obstacle for the player to avoid, I don’t wish to force the player to fight them, but rather to interact with them and acknowledge their existence.
The levels would definitely feel less empty with enemies being overhauled. And the enemies with dated sprites getting their re-sprites. It’s quite notable how bad the old AI is. I’d recommend looking at Chaos’ AI. Enemies should keep the player on their toes!

I think it's actually beneficial for enemies to be mostly inconsequential in GFZ. New players won't necessarily know how to control their chosen character yet, and having to deal with enemies on top of getting the hang of the controls might be a bit much. SDURF's do a decent enough job of teaching the player that enemies can be harmful if you just charge ahead blindly while Crawla's do a nice job of teaching the player that with careful aim you can bounce on enemies, and even chain these bounces together if you grow your skill level up a bit. I would like to see at least one more enemy type in GFZ though, maybe some sort of mostly harmless butterfly enemy that teaches the player that enemies aren't always grounded or leaping up and down.

However, yes. Over time enemies should become bigger and bigger threats in addition to the level design itself growing trickier to navigate, though I feel this is rather already the case. There might be some room for rebalancing here and there but overall I think SRB2 already does a decent job of this in the vanilla campaign. Perhaps the solution to your issue might be to provide additional incentive to fight enemies, such as for example adding a random chance for badniks to drop a ring in addition to the usual flicky?

On variety, SRB2 also has a problem. Greenflower only has 2 notable enemies, and one of them is a recolor and isn’t even in the first level really (it’s in a cage).

I think each level should have 4 new enemy types. At this point I think SRB2 shouldn’t have recolors. They’re a lazy way of “including a different enemy”. Back then it was fine but now I think they should replace them with all-new enemies, with new sprites, code and all. The classics never had recolors anyway.
I actually quite like the idea of every zone having special recolored "elite" badniks that function as stronger versions of other badniks. It helps to give SRB2 even more of it's own identity, and once the player realizes that this is a thing they might grow excited to find out what the elite versions of other badniks are like. This also helps out with your previous point in regards to enemies not being threatening enough, as elite enemies could challenge the player more than their regular counterparts especially if placed in tandem with particular types of level design.

I do somewhat agree that they shouldn't necessarily be straight up recolors though, perhaps giving their sprites some touch ups to look slightly more unique could go a long way, such as perhaps giving Red Crawla's angrier eyes and a larger engine sticking out giving more of a visual indicator that these Crawla's are a bit more speedy and dangerous than their more passive blue counterparts.

Make Special stage 8 actually accessible. If this is black hole zone, than allow a main cfg setting to allow tokens to be used to access special stage 8 in single player, in mods.
Otherwise, allow Black hole zone to be overwritten by a normal stage while allowing for the 7 other special stages normally accessible in single player.

(I ran into an issue with making a normal stage take map slot 57)

On the topic of events, I have another example I would like to see used.
In an old version of SRB2 (Notably Marriage Edition (2.0.X) [and Final Demo (1.09.4) however not being apart of the main campaign]) you used to end Red Volcano by jumping onto a platform, and Lava rushing upward from underneath, pushing the rock upward like a Lava-Geyser.

I want SRB2 to bring back this event. I think the idea of a Lava Geyser pushing you out of the Volcano to be quite an interesting event. I always liked the idea of SRB2 embracing its past but also making improvements to it. Sucks that Blue Mountain is being scrapped, but maybe it could be like a bonus level after the main campaign is finished or something.

Please add like...uh... "Tails' fligt press controlls": that means that if you hold down space, you lift up (and please if ouble tapping jump, than exit fligt mode and enter defensless or jump mode (so that you can't spam "fly unfly fly unfly...") or tapping any other vanila button (please still let tails be shield-friendly)) so that it isn't so annoying flying with tails, like it STILL is in 2022

Please add like...uh... "Tails' fligt press controlls": that means that if you hold down space, you lift up (and please if ouble tapping jump, than exit fligt mode and enter defensless or jump mode (so that you can't spam "fly unfly fly unfly...") or tapping any other vanila button (please still let tails be shield-friendly)) so that it isn't so annoying flying with tails, like it STILL is in 2022
Srb2 is based on the classic games i doubt they will add that

allow the intangable fofs to either affects only the player or only everything but the player like how normal fofs have the options. this way we can have custom gravity that only affects the player but not bosses or enemies.

How about custom end screens for level packs? Doesn't make much sense to have, say, just beaten the boss of Aquatic Base Zone and then the screen cuts to a shot of the Death Egg.

and then the screen cuts to a shot of the Death Egg.
This isn't a necessity. There's a MainCFG setting to remove the Egg Rock from the Evaluation screen and Marathon Run menu, and since before 2.2's introduction of the Ending cutscene, people have been making their own. I take it you're talking about the 06 pack - the creator simply didn't use this setting.

This isn't a necessity. There's a MainCFG setting to remove the Egg Rock from the Evaluation screen and Marathon Run menu, and since before 2.2's introduction of the Ending cutscene, people have been making their own. I take it you're talking about the 06 pack - the creator simply didn't use this setting.
ohhhhhh
noted.

Perhaps blending effects could be applied to certain effects that are present normally? Like, Eggmobile's lasers, Metal's jet fumes, etc.?

Toad
Toad is my favorite Nintendo character (and splatoon characters also) and it would be really nice if Toad was in Sma I mean SRB2

Let me ask you rq if you mean as a mod or as an official playable character or as a decoration in Pipe Towers.
From what I've heard they're not introducing new playables in the next major update and Pipe Towers is being discontinued.

From what I've heard they're not introducing new playables in the next major update and Pipe Towers is being discontinued.
That was exactly what I was going to say.
1st - You cannot requests mods on the MB.
2nd - They will not be adding new playables.
3rd - There is already a Toad object and PTZ is being removed.

wait pipe towers is a goner now? OH NO.
It's going bye-bye primarily because of its unique game mode that requires too much unneeded maintenance to keep stable (firing a fire flower at a Crushcetean in PTZ's game mode used to delete the player object, for example), so they aren't keeping it. Not because of any DMCAs.

It's going bye-bye primarily because of its unique game mode that requires too much unneeded maintenance to keep stable (firing a fire flower at a Crushcetean in PTZ's game mode used to delete the player object, for example), so they aren't keeping it. Not because of any DMCAs.
well fuck.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 4, Members: 0, Guests: 4)

Back