• Do not use Works in Progress as a way of avoiding the releases system! Works in Progress can be used for sharing early betas and for getting suggestions for improvement. Releases of finished content are not allowed in this forum! If you would like to submit a finished addon, click here for instructions on how to do so.

SRB2SNK: A fighting game

Status
Not open for further replies.
Okay, I'm back on topic now. I can't wait for the first release of this mod!
A video would be great to see what it all has.

Although it's not going to be a remake, will you guys be going to do the snowboarding section from Ice Cap Zone?

Last edited:
While the levels do look pretty, I'm not hyped for this mod because there isn't much in here that catches my interest. This idea has been tried time and time again.

Okay, I'm back on topic now. I can't wait for the first release of this mod!
A video would be great to see what it all has.

Although it's not going to be a remake, will you guys be going to do the snowboarding section from Ice Cap Zone?

Maybe they can use the SRB2 Riders Sonic for Ice Cap!

Or you can just omit the snowboarding section totally. Yeah, it was a neat section, but we don't have to limit ourselves like that. We can come up with something even better if we so want to.

I was going to have a snowboard level in SRB2Xmas 1.0... The plan was to use rotated textures on the walls to make it look like you're going down a slope.

Adding slopes in SRB2 would require a very large rewrite (and perhaps that is an understatement) of the gameplay code to convert it from using cartesian coordinates to a vector math system. That's the real answer. Besides, what would be done about sprites? You'd really have to move to a polygonal model instead for it to be done convincingly.

But couldn't we theoretically have a "slope" linedef special that would mimic the vertical offsetting and drag just like the original games did it? Then you could just apply it to really tiny stairs like we've been doing forever.

Simple offsetting doesn't give you appropriate physics, trying to calculate that out of a ton of mini-stairs is ridiculous.
It'd take less effort to make a SRB2 in a 3d engine (like Torque, Quake, or even Cube2) than to get slopes working and functional through a long series of hacks. Even slopes in BUILD won't give you any angled planes to jump off from, it's simply a raised floor physics wise.

Gentlemen, I would like to volunteer this as an Enemy.

bouncercomparison.png

Just to clarify, the only slope physics we intend on adding is basically jumping higher while going up a slope and jumping farther while going down, as well as moving faster/slower if going down/up. All collision will be handled like normal stairs.

That's pretty easy, Kay. I actually did it in a post-1.08 build of SRB2 that never made it into the SVN. I had three 'things' I placed to form the points of a triangle that I put on a slope. I also marked a sector special (you may want to use a linedef that adds thinkers instead), and if you were in those sectors and on the floor when you jumped, it looked at those three points, calculated the triangle's normal from the cross product of the points, reduced it to a unit vector, and multiplied the jump strength against it, then distributing the result across momx,momy, and momz.

That's pretty easy, Kay. I actually did it in a post-1.08 build of SRB2 that never made it into the SVN. I had three 'things' I placed to form the points of a triangle that I put on a slope. I also marked a sector special (you may want to use a linedef that adds thinkers instead), and if you were in those sectors and on the floor when you jumped, it looked at those three points, calculated the triangle's normal from the cross product of the points, reduced it to a unit vector, and multiplied the jump strength against it, then distributing the result across momx,momy, and momz.
So essentially jumping diagonally off a slope? Awesome.

This mod just keeps sounding better and better everytime someone says something new. My head will explode from impatience if anymore good things are told about this.

Do you guys mind if I make a contribution for Angel Island Zone?

blfla0.png

I may change the colours if necessary, I think the greens too bright for the fruit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back