• Do not use Works in Progress as a way of avoiding the releases system! Works in Progress can be used for sharing early betas and for getting suggestions for improvement. Releases of finished content are not allowed in this forum! If you would like to submit a finished addon, click here for instructions on how to do so.

SRB2SNK: A fighting game

Status
Not open for further replies.
i realy hope that slope screenie is real. And thats why people have teams when they mod srb2.

Either that, or its so that they can take turns being lazy. During some of the early stages in design process, this is what it often boils down to... (lazy in terms of modding, they may be very busy with other junk anyway) Of course, I have the excuse that brainstorming is a long process, but I've still yet to draw out a couple of the textures I already sketched out.. so yeah.

Concerning slopes, the issue is not only that you can't fit slopes into the renderer, but that even if you got them working they would not work anywhere near as smoothly as the rest of the game. Kind of like OGL, as cool as it is, it is far weaker in terms of supporting SRB2's level design than anything else, which was the reason why it was removed during release.
I have an all-or-nothing policy on including SRB2 features in my maps. If it works, then I use it... if it only partially works or only behaves under the right conditions, then I ditch it. (which is why I may have to abandon the cobweb gimmick in MFZ1) I don't want to take the chance on the experience being ruined by some random bug that I cannot anticipate (or worse, can anticipate but not fix).

yeah. i like to draw things out first then make them because then i have less of a chance of scrapping a level and starting out fresh, which is what i had to do to my most recent level.

It doesn't take much to realize a barely detailed floor and wall mixture is hiding the geometry of a slope. Fun illusion. Any more detail would kill the effect.
Had it tried to be functional it would be a big hacking effort to normalize a plane from the steep micro floor heights and wall angles to make it work like a slope.

Last edited:
Guys, just to avoid any sort of confusion, it's not a real slope. I hope this screenshot helps a bit, in case you didn't know about how it was done.
srb20011.png

You guys do realize that "slope" is just a really awesomely textured staircase, right?

Except you're wrong; it's not a staircase. The entire slope is made of four sectors.
slops.png

This method is just as limited as stairs. It abuses midtextures to create patches of colour, but the edges are still jagged. Furthermore, only simple textures can be recreated without a pointless amounts of work; to that end, aligning everything correctly is a nightmare.
And no collision~

Last edited:
Guys, just to avoid any sort of confusion, it's not a real slope. I hope this screenshot helps a bit, in case you didn't know about how it was done.
srb20011.png
Why god... WHY! I wanted a real slope!
<ontopic> This is going to be a great project, but I am wondering if you are going to use nights mode for doomsday.</ontopic>

The thing is, does srb2 have the physics to even make a slope work? Wouldn't it just act like a wall?

The thing is, does srb2 have the physics to even make a slope work? Wouldn't it just act like a wall?

There is slope code built into SRB2, but it only renders in the OpenGL renderer and the collision is buggy for it. Not to mention that the slopes themselves aren't very useful or sophisticated, you wouldn't be able to do much with them even if they worked properly. You wouldn't get slopes like you do in Sonic games anyway.

And besides, why would slopes be necessary in any way, shape or form anyway? If it takes such an obscene amount of work to make something function where the ends don't justify the means, I say just forget about it; especially if the collision won't even work right.

Uh, you know, sometimes I wished that SRB2 didn't use the Doom engine. Or at least they could have programmed slopes so we didn't have this problem.

There is slope code built into SRB2, but it only renders in the OpenGL renderer and the collision is buggy for it. Not to mention that the slopes themselves aren't very useful or sophisticated, you wouldn't be able to do much with them even if they worked properly. You wouldn't get slopes like you do in Sonic games anyway.
So, If we used a ton of stairs, and used the slope sector, we could make working slopes with physics

Are you guys implying the whole project will run on slopes alone?
They will be just a gimmick, kind of like the rope pulleys of ACZ, something you might see in a couple of levels, nothing else.
I think just saying this project is gonna be "awesome" because of a faked slope is kind of exaggerating. I'd rather you guys play the damn levels before going "holy ****".

I know that its little late to say this but so far Arf and your team's S3K 3d rendition looks awesome. However if the slopes are still highly modified stairs in the final version it doesn't matter cause no one will able to tell the difference.

Sweet. Shame the spots are full, because I want to test it T_T
Ah well. I'll just have to play a beta if one comes, won't I? :3

Is anyone going to make a video?

ONTOPIC: This WAD looks great so far! I expect good things.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back