SRB2 Underwater: A Hedgehog's Greatest Nightmare

SRB2 Underwater: A Hedgehog's Greatest Nightmare v1.3

Fire Ball

The Fiery Hot Speedster
Fire Ball submitted a new resource:

Greenflower Zone: Underwater Edition - 7.8/10 - Too Much Water

View attachment 48230

Exactly what's being implied in the name. This was made as a fun project, mostly to see if it could be done.

After many years of neglect, Greenflower Zone was eventually entirely sunk underwater, and due to this, the zone had a slight revamp of its looks, now housing a variety of underwater greenery. The water also allowed for some hard-to-access paths to become more available, if you remember to watch out for drowning.

Features/Changes:

Read more about this resource...

There are some problems with the maps

1. When the levels load, you briefly see... certain kinds of textures... i dont know if they are aerial garden textures, but i believe it is the default texture that appears when there is an error with a thok barrier, or there is a missing texture. (See attachment 1)
also i got a sigsegv when loading up gfz3 💀 i dont know if thats just 2.2.9 being stupid or if thats a map problem.

2. Weird slope texture? (See attachment 2)

3. I don't think you need this many air bubbles in one spot (see attachment 3)

4. the greenflower background looks kinda black (see attachment 4)

5. boss very very often gets "stuck", the boss wasn't made to be underwater i guess. Don't think theres anything you can do about this, i dont expect you to just make a new boss entirely either so its fine. "Stuck" means it just stops moving and attacking, just being stuck. not a big deal tho so its fine prolly

Actual thoughts on the map...
I thought the reason i hated azure temple was because there are like 9 hallway sections with hallway gargoyle fire, and the level is pretty long also having time for those water current sections.
But perhaps having an entire zone underwater makes the level so unbearably slow that its just not fun. And then theres having to get an air bubble every 10 seconds unless you have an elemental shield.

Execution is pretty good. I cant say the idea of greenflower but underwater is good though.
I like the detail that the air bubbles in GFZ2 come out of cracked floors.
Also... can you not have crackable FOFs underwater?

(insert over 8 mb gif of me loading greenflower 1, 2. and 3)

btw i think Sunkenflower makes more sense than Greenwater since the water isnt actually green but i mean-

Attachments

• srb20177.png
    srb20177.png
    312.3 KB · Views: 136
  • srb20178.png
    srb20178.png
    520.4 KB · Views: 118
  • srb20171.png
    srb20171.png
    331.6 KB · Views: 132
  • srb20169.png
    srb20169.png
    258.5 KB · Views: 150
Last edited:
There are some problems with the maps

1. When the levels load, you briefly see... certain kinds of textures... i dont know if they are aerial garden textures, but i believe it is the default texture that appears when there is an error with a thok barrier, or there is a missing texture. (See attachment 1)
also i got a sigsegv when loading up gfz3 💀 i dont know if thats just 2.2.9 being stupid or if thats a map problem.

2. Weird slope texture? (See attachment 2)

3. I don't think you need this many air bubbles in one spot (see attachment 3)

4. the greenflower background looks kinda black (see attachment 4)

5. boss very very often gets "stuck", the boss wasn't made to be underwater i guess. Don't think theres anything you can do about this, i dont expect you to just make a new boss entirely either so its fine. "Stuck" means it just stops moving and attacking, just being stuck. not a big deal tho so its fine prolly

Actual thoughts on the map...
I thought the reason i hated azure temple was because there are like 9 hallway sections with hallway gargoyle fire, and the level is pretty long also having time for those water current sections.
But perhaps having an entire zone underwater makes the level so unbearably slow that its just not fun. And then theres having to get an air bubble every 10 seconds unless you have an elemental shield.

Execution is pretty good. I cant say the idea of greenflower but underwater is good though.
I like the detail that the air bubbles in GFZ2 come out of cracked floors.
Also... can you not have crackable FOFs underwater?

(insert over 8 mb gif of me loading greenflower 1, 2. and 3)

btw i think Sunkenflower makes more sense than Greenwater since the water isnt actually green but i mean-

Thanks for the feedback.

1. I used to see that happen on my playtest session, but at the time, I thought it wasn't a big deal. But then I realized that ATZ didn't have this issue, and so I looked into it, and managed to fix it. Turns out I had been using the wrong water linedef type, I was supposed to be using no sides. This has been already fixed for 1.1

2. Fixed.
srb20010.png

3. To be honest, I thought that 16 air bubbles were too much as well, so I changed it to a 3x3 grid to 1.1, so thanks for the suggestion.
srb20013.png

4. It's meant to be that way. If you're curious about the full skybox:
srb20012.png

5. Not anymore. The reason Eggman was so buggy is because of the water linedef type, which had sides, making him (and most enemies) unable to see you properly. Due to me replacing all water linedefs in the levels with "no sides", he is now able to properly see and attack you, making the fight an actual challenge.

As for underwater crackable FOFs, yes, they can be made, I just decided to remove them because I imagined the zone takes place in a distant future where it was entirely sunk, and I don't think those walls would have held on for long. But in turn, this would make new cracked paths show up, albeit only in GFZ2. That act actually has one or two new rooms, you just gotta look hard for them, but I don't think I made it clear enough on my description.
Either way, again, I appreciate the feedback.

Fire Ball updated Greenflower Zone: Underwater Edition with a new update entry:

Version 1.1

Mainly a few bug fixes.

Changes:
-Level textures looking bugged for a split second when level loads fixed.
-Enemies now able to spot players much better.
-Flickies have been changed to fit more of an underwater aesthetic.
-A few tiny fixes in GFZ1 and GFZ2.
-Eggman on GFZ3 is now able to properly spot and attack players.
-Software Mode's strange rendering on some areas in GFZ2 fixed.

Read the rest of this update entry...

As for underwater crackable FOFs, yes, they can be made, I just decided to remove them because I imagined the zone takes place in a distant future where it was entirely sunk, and I don't think those walls would have held on for long. But in turn, this would make new cracked paths show up, albeit only in GFZ2. That act actually has one or two new rooms, you just gotta look hard for them, but I don't think I made it clear enough on my description.
Either way, again, I appreciate the feedback.

Fair, i just thought since moving floating platforms are unchanged, i'd expect crackable FOFs to stay the same too.
I also may add that in the boss arena in GFZ that weird GFZ slope texture popped up, sorry if forgot to mention that. I havent played the new version yet either
Post automatically merged:

Anyway this was executed nicely and I would love to see a sunken srb2 with like a custom gamedata and everything but it'd be a ton of work, and levels like red volcano would be weird, and I can't imagine arid canyon underwater. However I think with how well you did on GFZ, you could do just as good on the other stages if you wanted to. Not saying you should or have to, i just think the idea is nice and the execution is nice.

Anyway for the attachments

0. haha official gfz opengl error go brrr
1. this area could use a bubble somewhere 💀
2. but- but why are there attraction shields underwater
3. springs...?
4. this area on amy's path looks like it leads to something... but you could argue the official one looks like a secret spingap too ig
5. this has nothing in it... unless an emblem was here in a custom gamdedata
6. gfz3 has that one gfz slope texture issue

Attachments

• srb20179.png
    srb20179.png
    262 KB · Views: 101
  • srb20180.png
    srb20180.png
    380.1 KB · Views: 110
  • srb20181.png
    srb20181.png
    511.7 KB · Views: 98
  • srb20182.png
    srb20182.png
    236.2 KB · Views: 133
  • srb20183.png
    srb20183.png
    137.7 KB · Views: 99
  • srb20184.png
    srb20184.png
    78.6 KB · Views: 107
  • srb20185.png
    srb20185.png
    551 KB · Views: 94
  • srb20186.png
    srb20186.png
    516.2 KB · Views: 99
Last edited:
Anyway for the attachments

0. haha official gfz opengl error go brrr
1. this area could use a bubble somewhere 💀
2. but- but why are there attraction shields underwater
3. springs...?
4. this area on amy's path looks like it leads to something... but you could argue the official one looks like a secret spingap too ig
5. this has nothing in it... unless an emblem was here in a custom gamdedata
6. gfz3 has that one gfz slope texture issue

0. I honestly have no idea how to fix that bug. It's always on that same spot, every single time I try to edit GFZ1.
1. Yup, that's one of the new areas I added. I even added a ring monitor next to it as well, as a way to be a little more forgiving on the player.
2. Indeed, those shields are meant to be there. Maybe it's a reference to something? (Hint hint: Attraction)
3. Yellow springs would have been way too strong on that area, so they're replaced. As for the other spring image, I definitely gotta fix that. Thanks for bringing the issue up.
4. Who knows, maybe I'll add a new area on the next update?
5. Yeah, an emblem was meant to be there. Due to there being no custom gamedata, the game simply removes all of the emblems, so for now, they're useless.
6. I'll look forward to fixing that.

Anyway this was executed nicely and I would love to see a sunken srb2 with like a custom gamedata and everything but it'd be a ton of work, and levels like red volcano would be weird, and I can't imagine arid canyon underwater. However I think with how well you did on GFZ, you could do just as good on the other stages if you wanted to. Not saying you should or have to, i just think the idea is nice and the execution is nice.
You know, I was actually thinking in doing this for all of the zones, making a true SRB2 underwater addon. The reception was quite nice, and I enjoyed working on this as a whole. Only time will tell.

Version 1.2 - Huge Update!

View attachment 48522

I'm pretty excited to announce this! There are quite a bunch of new features, so let me start:

New Features:
  • Custom gamedata is finally added in, which allows for many new features, such as...
  • New title screen, based off of GWZ1's skybox.
  • Custom emblems, all of which have their own unique locations and hints.
  • Unlockables added.
  • Players are able to save their progress.
  • New, secret areas in both acts. Get exploring!
  • Time and...

Apologies my attachments were labeled weirdly.

For the 2nd image with the ring monitor there, the bubble tile didn't have a crack in there. I completely forgot about the image i guess, or i left it up to you to see if there was an oddity or if it looks exactly how you intended it to. :rafaelshrug:

Apologies my attachments were labeled weirdly.

For the 2nd image with the ring monitor there, the bubble tile didn't have a crack in there. I completely forgot about the image i guess, or i left it up to you to see if there was an oddity or if it looks exactly how you intended it to. :rafaelshrug:
Oooh. Well, yeah, you're right. Gonna fix that for the next update.

If there are plans to cover the entire game in water, how is the lava in Red Volcano going to work?
The most logical way would be to replace all of the lava with dark rock-like textures, but I feel like that would be too easy. Good thing I have some time to think until then.

Version 1.2.1

A bit of a smaller update as a whole.

Additions:
  • New secret area for GWZ1.
  • New secret area for GWZ2.
Changes/Fixes:
  • Small title screen adjustment.
  • Small visual changes for GWZ2.
  • Emblem Radar requires 25 emblems rather than 30 (albeit still technically impossible).
This might (hopefully) be the last update for a while. Next update, two more zones find themselves sunken underwater.

Version 1.3 - New Zone + Bug Fixes!

View attachment 50163

Hey y'all, sorry for having no updates and such for a while... I was mostly busy with other projects during that time.
However, I'm pretty proud to announce this new update! So let's get into it.

Additions:

• Sunken Hillside Zone, a sunken version of FHZ. Has by far the most secrets of any stage so far, so do some searching!
  • Extra Emerald Token added into GWZ1.
  • Amy, who is unlocked by beating SHZ (same as Vanilla).

I really love underwater aesthetics, so this was so much fun to play! I'd love to see an underwater version of every level some day

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back