SRB2 Mac OS X Port

Status
Not open for further replies.
Umm hi,

I was going to suggest to you, could you split the SRB2 binary and WAD files into separate files? Because it will be easier for you (less bandwidth used on reuploading the WHOLE thing) and easier on us (downloading smaller updates). Thanks.

Callum said:
Umm hi,

I was going to suggest to you, could you split the SRB2 binary and WAD files into separate files? Because it will be easier for you (less bandwidth used on reuploading the WHOLE thing) and easier on us (downloading smaller updates). Thanks.
I polled some people about this previously and it was determined that Mac users preferred a 90MB executable with no extra files needed instead of downloading two separate packages and combining files or having an application in a folder with a bunch of other files. I've seen complaints on other sites about games that require external files. Games on OS X are typically packaged as a single file that you just drag into your application's folder, no install or external files needed.

The currently posted build actually supports both ways. If you remove the data files from the Application (right click -> Show Package contents. They're in the Resources folder) it will load the data from the same directory as the application instead. The universal binary is only 6MB if you pull the data out of the resources folder. If people prefer, I could post an empty app in addition to a version with resources included for the next release.

Bandwidth is not an issue for me.

Re: possible mac port for final release?

Sappharad said:
Falvern57 said:
Kaysakado said:
Falvern57 said:
Is there any possibility of another OS X port being made when the final game is released?
Somebody will get around to it eventually, but we'll all probably be too busy playing to actually get do it for around a week. >_>

As long as one is made at some point, I'll be content enough.
I mentioned on the previous page that I plan to do it.
Check back a day or two after the PC version is released.

A day or two? Awesome!! I was expecting to have to wait much longer than that! Kudos to you Sapphrad!

srb2v2.png

Port is ready, will release in a few hours...

AlamGBC said:
sorry, but I will be releasing this port....
Oh well.
Here's my build anyway. Only difference should be a normal high-res 128x128 icon as opposed to the included 32x32 one.

http://projects.sappharad.com/srb2_mac/
Also includes data-less version for those who already have the windows version.

I guess this will be my last build then if you're going to start doing official ones. Would've been nice if you had bundled yours with the Windows version.

v2.0.1 is out, also:
why your build only works on Mac OS X v10.4 and up? you can compile SDL, SDL_Mixer, libpng and Srb2Mac with 10.2.8 SDK

Shouldn't this be in the downloads section of the website? I figure it'd be a lot easier to find it there instead of on the forums.

FuriousFox said:
Shouldn't this be in the downloads section of the website? I figure it'd be a lot easier to find it there instead of on the forums.
I think that, no one answer to me in #srb2dev about SRB2Mac to go on the Download page

AlamGBC said:
v2.0.1 is out, also:
work only Mac OS X v10.4 and up? you can compile SDL, SDL_Mixer, libpng and Srb2Mac with 10.2.8 SDK
Universal binaries built for versions of OS X older than 10.4 aren't officially supported because there is no public 10.2 or 10.3 Intel SDK. Mixing versions isn't suggested. (Although from what I've seen, seems to work..)

How am I supposed to compete with this? You post a build 20 minutes before I do, then release an update without including the source. :-(
If you're going to officially release mac builds, please consider including them with the Windows download or at least offer them up on the site.

I'll update my copies to 2.0.1 tomorrow night if I can get the source, otherwise I suggest you make your port more readily available.

Subversion

had you heard of Subverison?

svn checkout svn://code.srb2.org/SRB2/trunk

http://trac.srb2.org/timeline

also, the only the PPC side is build with 10.2.8 SDK, other archs use 10.4u SDK

Apple did release 10.2 SDK, but they removed it in newer XCode versions, I keep my copy of it
Code:
w-DeathNote:~ alam$ ls /Developer/SDKs/
MacOSX10.2.8.sdk	MacOSX10.4u.sdk
MacOSX10.3.9.sdk	MacOSX10.5.sdk

Re: Subversion

AlamGBC said:
had you heard of Subverison?
Last I knew it wasn't public. Thanks.

I hope you consider my request to start bundling your Mac ver with the Windows one. You'd only be dealing with an extra ~5MB which is nothing compared to 80. (Although you would probably need to ditch the self-extracting archive if you did that.)
Last line of my previous post remains true, for now...

Also, I said 10.2 and 10.3 Intel, per my comment about mixing SDK versions. Though you seem to have shown that it doesn't matter.

Re: Subversion

Sappharad said:
I hope you consider my request to start bundling your Mac ver with the Windows one.

I am not the one who releases the SRB2 versions, or control what is on the download page by right (I could change it as server admin) but I do not want to

The problem is that a vast majority of our users aren't running Macs. It's far better to link it separately for the minority who DO want that version.

hmmm, download XCode 2.5 dmg
Code:
xcode25_8m2558_developerdvd.dmg
"Xcode Tools/Packages/Packages/"
there the 2 old SDK should be there
MacOSX10.2.8.pkg
MacOSX10.3.9.pkg

Mystic said:
The problem is that a vast majority of our users aren't running Macs. It's far better to link it separately for the minority who DO want that version.
It's personal preference really. Your reasoning didn't stop Stealth from distributing Windows, DOS, Mac, Wii and PSP versions of Mettrix all in a single download. The difference for you would only be a few megs, and theoretically it saves you bandwidth for those who want both versions or just need to download one torrent.

Whatever. Have it your way, at Burger King.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back