SRB2 Doom Builder

Status
Not open for further replies.
Actually Flame, every time you open a map in SRB2 Builder you must close it out and reopen it in order to create a new map altogethor. It's a bug ofcourse =P

Woo, subject, yeah.

Flame_the_hedgehog said:
i got an error, when you get to the screen of which map you want to open, an when you click cancel, if you click, the "create a new map" button, it'll give a error:

Error 13: while creating map: type mismatch
furyhunter600 said:
Actually Flame, every time you open a map in SRB2 Builder you must close it out and reopen it in order to create a new map altogethor. It's a bug ofcourse =P
Have you updated to r19? I'm pretty sure I fixed that.

furyhunter600 said:
Bug: Go into Sector Draw mode in 3D mode. Now, press Esc. Runtime error 5, see?
I can't get this to happen myself, but I have heard similar reports before. Does it occur every time, or sporadically? And with all wads, or only some? Thanks. :)

And I would recommend that you use autosave. It doesn't build nodes, so it's quick.

Yeah, I've updated. And the crash happens all the time for me (because my Build Sector key is stupidly right next to W, that I use for movement in 3D), not sporadically. Maybe it's because i'm pointed at the thok barrier when I press the button?

furyhunter600 said:
Yeah, I've updated. And the crash happens all the time for me (because my Build Sector key is stupidly right next to W, that I use for movement in 3D), not sporadically. Maybe it's because i'm pointed at the thok barrier when I press the button?
Sorry, I was a little unclear when I mentioned updating: r19 fixes (I think) the type mismatch error in the 'New Map' dialogue; you mentioned that you've experienced it, though - was it in r19?

Again, clarity escaped me: when I asked if it happened every time, I meant every time you pressed escape, following pressing the sector draw key. Also, have you noticed whether the message you get when pressing the s-draw key was "Must point at existing sector first" or "Begin sector draw"?

Re: Woo, subject, yeah.

Oogaland said:
Flame_the_hedgehog said:
i got an error, when you get to the screen of which map you want to open, an when you click cancel, if you click, the "create a new map" button, it'll give a error:

Error 13: while creating map: type mismatch
furyhunter600 said:
Have you updated to r19? I'm pretty sure I fixed that.

well it seems like that didnt get fixed >_>
i have r19 and this type of thing happens to me

Oogaland said:
Sorry, I was a little unclear when I mentioned updating: r19 fixes (I think) the type mismatch error in the 'New Map' dialogue; you mentioned that you've experienced it, though - was it in r19?

Again, clarity escaped me: when I asked if it happened every time, I meant every time you pressed escape, following pressing the sector draw key. Also, have you noticed whether the message you get when pressing the s-draw key was "Must point at existing sector first" or "Begin sector draw"?
The new map bug was in r19, yes.

It says "Begin sector draw", and then I press escape and DB crashes.

Remember my comment about finding identical sectors earlier? Doesn't seem to work at all. It'll select the identical sectors then immediately unselect them, making it useless.

JJames19119 said:
Remember my comment about finding identical sectors earlier? Doesn't seem to work at all. It'll select the identical sectors then immediately unselect them, making it useless.

The penultimate line of the routine responsible for finding identical sectors went thus:

Code:
RemoveSelection True

When it should've been:

Code:
RedrawMap True

:oops:

Shadow Hog said:
Roboashura said:
Plus, it'll run like crap, especially for 56k'ers.
What if it's a single player map? Mmm? Not all maps are Match, and if they're not, modem speed doesn't mean anything.
Well, if you have an average or worse graphics card, it'll run like crap.

Sorry for triple post but I got a very new error...

Upon trying to test a map it gave me a "Error Type 7: CopyInLumps; Out of memory" and crashed. Any idea what the hell this means?

JJames19119 said:
When you copy a sector, it doesn't copy the sector's comments. Sometimes that's useful.

They don't copy the sector tags either, unless I'm just on an older build.

olol 64K

FoxBlitzz said:
They don't copy the sector tags either, unless I'm just on an older build.
You can turn that on in the options somewhere.

JJames19119 said:
Sorry for triple post but I got a very new error...

Upon trying to test a map it gave me a "Error Type 7: CopyInLumps; Out of memory" and crashed. Any idea what the hell this means?
Mmm... was it possibly CopyLumpsByType rather than CopyInLumps? There's no routine called CopyInLumps... In any case, it looks like some memory allocation somewhere has failed, probably due to an error in the logic. Have you been able to reproduce it? It might be to do with the exact structure of a particular wad or... something.

I've been working on something else for the past week or so; once that's a bit further advanced, I'll probably increase DB's priority by a few notches.

Incidentally, here's what my copy of MSDN has to say about Error 7. It is old, but not that old:

MSDN said:
Out of memory (Error 7)

More memory was required than is available, or a 64K segment boundary was encountered. This error has the following causes and solutions:

You have too many applications, documents, or source files open.
Close any unnecessary applications, documents, or source files that are open.

You have amodule orprocedure that's too large.
Break large modules or procedures into smaller ones. This doesn't save memory, but it can prevent hitting 64K segment boundaries.

You are running Microsoft Windows in standard mode.
Restart Microsoft Windows in enhanced mode.

You are running Microsoft Windows in enhanced mode, but have run out of virtual memory.
Increase virtual memory by freeing some disk space, or at least ensure that some space is available.

You have terminate-and-stay-resident programs running.
Eliminate terminate-and-stay-resident programs.

You have many device drivers loaded.
Eliminate unnecessary device drivers.

You have run out of space for Public variables.
Reduce the number of Public variables.

For additional information, select the item in question and press F1.

Yes it was CopyLumpsByType, I apologize my memory must have failed me at that time. In any case I haven't been able to reproduce that error even after following the same exact steps. I assumed it was because I left DB open too long. (5-6 hours)

EDIT: Okay, nevermind, I just hit the error again despite DB only being open for 15 minutes. One thing I am sure of is that it either has to do with editing the MAINCFG lump, using Find And Replace, or both.

unusediu4.png

This, is a serious problem for many people editing maps. Currently, someone can make a map ceace to be open source by putting in sectors and sidedefs in such a way that they will be considered unused by any editor other than deepsea, even if they are vital to the level. Currently this is used to "hide" the GFZ2 house, and all of RVZ from those who would look at it in a wad editor. People need to be able to study such maps so that they can learn how to wad better by example.

I propose making the "unused" sector(and sidedef) manual, that is, it will prompt you before removal, asking if you wish to proceed. Additionally, you can include it in the .dbs to not consider them "unused" by the removal system so you aren't bothered by them further. Finally, I propose having linedefs designated "unused" colored blue to make them stand out from everything else.

Prime 2.0 said:
This, is a serious problem for many people editing maps. Currently, someone can make a map ceace to be open source by putting in sectors and sidedefs in such a way that they will be considered unused by any editor other than deepsea, even if they are vital to the level. Currently this is used to "hide" the GFZ2 house, and all of RVZ from those who would look at it in a wad editor. People need to be able to study such maps so that they can learn how to wad better by example.

I propose making the "unused" sector(and sidedef) manual, that is, it will prompt you before removal, asking if you wish to proceed. Additionally, you can include it in the .dbs to not consider them "unused" by the removal system so you aren't bothered by them further. Finally, I propose having linedefs designated "unused" colored blue to make them stand out from everything else.

Unused sidedefs/sectors are ones that are unreferenced. That is, they aren't used anywhere on the map, but nonetheless have an entry in the SIDEDEFS/SECTORS lumps. So they never affect how the map is displayed, unless there's some jiggery-pokery in the code that alters references of certain linedefs/sidedefs at runtime on an ad hoc basis. If this is indeed the case, then prompting before removing them is fair enough. However, colouring 'unused linedefs' differently makes no sense, since unused sidedefs/sectors are by definition those not used on the map. Unless I'm missing something, as usual...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back