[Open Assets] SRB2 - Community Build! - Full color Edition! (PNG)

This content may be freely modified and/or maintained by anyone.
Status
Not open for further replies.
D00D, everything dies at some point. That's a reason to not do anything? Nope. It will get it's glory or whatever while it still exists, and then move on. That's the fate of everything.

What glory? You act like this has been going on for decades. "Everything dies at some point" is a pretty shitty argument. I'm highly expecting this mod to be dead again 2 to 4 weeks from now, slopes and TX support be damned.

D00D64, I'm not sure what point you're trying to make. So what if it'll be dead and forgotten in four weeks? The whole message of Kalaron's rant was that he does this for his own enjoyment and not for recognition.

And have you considered the possibility that maybe....I'm not just a coder?

What if all these features that I've been working on weren't really for SRB2?

Hahahaha.... dude, dude... don't use this crap as your codebase. Start from scratch.

Perhaps Kalaron doesn't mean that he's using it in the literal sense, but maybe as practice for coding in general. Perhaps practice to figure out how to effectively find solutions to problems within certain obstacles and boundaries. Or to just get into a different mode of thinking when approaching obstacles. Or maybe just because. The world will never know...

D00D64 said:
I think the olbies are the only users that actually care, but so few olbies remain, and the ones that do arn't interested enough to make anything more. Nobody is around to really show what SRB2CB can do, and what it CAN do isn't enough to warrant a complete conversion to another EXE. Especially since it doesn't add much to the experience.
Can't say I agree with you. Sure, the olbies are the ones everyone looks up to, and the ones that are known as the professionals, but that doesn't mean we don't have newer people here learning, and discovering SRB2 designing for themselves. Obviously some won't stay, and some will get bored of it, but I think there will be a good number who stick around. They'll practice, and in time, become the people "who care". Thats' assuming they don't already care. Their standards might be a little low right now, but hey. Just look at SRB2 in it's early years. Haven't the "olbies" gotten some seriously different standards since then?

SLOPES SLOPES SLOPE DE DOPE SLOPES
MAN THEY SUCK
Again. Slopes.

Charybdizs said:
I find it entertaining that you spent a lot of time talking about slopes, which I didn't hardly even considered in my post.

Can't say I agree with you. Sure, the olbies are the ones everyone looks up to, and the ones that are known as the professionals, but that doesn't mean we don't have newer people here learning, and discovering SRB2 designing for themselves. Obviously some won't stay, and some will get bored of it, but I think there will be a good number who stick around. They'll practice, and in time, become the people "who care". Thats' assuming they don't already care. Their standards might be a little low right now, but hey. Just look at SRB2 in it's early years. Haven't the "olbies" gotten some seriously different standards since then?

But the thing is, it'll still be ignored over time. Again, a few token wads demonstrating a few things, and then, interest plops to the ground. Golf mode and Karts had this issue, and those mainly got a pass for being different gametypes in the first place, so I doubt many maps will be made for SRB2CB at all, and SRB2CB will die off once again. Or just become Kalaron's pet project and it'll be ignored, just like with poor SRB2Morphed.

Again. Slopes.

Let be honest here; slopes are the big draw to SRB2CB. Mainly because so many people begged for them and it apparently makes the game feel more Sonic-like. How many people care about balloons and bumpers in a game with very few actual pinball physics? Yes, it has "OOOH PRETTY OH-GE-EL", but that doesn't get the mapping going.

And as for this "Kalaron is using it for other things" stuff, I don't know what he's using it for and why in HELL he chose to use SRB2 instead of just using something that ISN'T as old and broken to work with code-wise, so I have nothing to say on that matter.

Hahahaha.... dude, dude... don't use this crap as your codebase. Start from scratch.

Heh, yeah, it's ok - I'm not actually using THIS :P

I know the codebase here is actually an example of how NOT to code a game

Doom itself is no modern game engine at all - in the sense that many things just aren't designed to be extensible - and out of all the Doom engine ports - Doom Legacy is actually one of the least organized, and least optimized, and most buggy engine before SRB2 even started using it, and besides extra map format limitations and engine code, SRB2's platformer code was also made in an outright inextensible way.

This was just the first open source thing I found a long time ago, and at most it gave me a general understanding of programming. But because it's based on Doom, now I understand GZDoom and now other non-Doom code projects.

An unconventional way to learn, yeah :P

-----

So now I have a real appreciation for games, and for the real part too - The data structures, math, and logic.

Reading a bunch of stuff on the web and looking at other non-Doom engines, I learned about basic stuff like using Vectors for angles, game physics & acceleration, quick occlusion for polygons out of view of the camera, data acceleration structures, etc.

But anyway - There's still some concepts that I want to keep from this engine(even if it's only like 2 things :P ), but starting from scratch is something I've already started.

So, that's the secret - this is just practice, so no need to fuss over this - you can just enjoy it while it's around.

Perhaps Kalaron doesn't mean that he's using it in the literal sense, but maybe as practice for coding in general. Perhaps practice to figure out how to effectively find solutions to problems within certain obstacles and boundaries. Or to just get into a different mode of thinking when approaching obstacles.

Yup ^

----

This is posted here for anyone else who's interested in this kind of stuff - I know I was(and still am :P )

OH AND BEFORE ANYONE ASKS - NO, I'M NOT MAKING ANOTHER SONIC GAME

Last edited:
Whoa, whoa that´s some pretty angry and wierd reaction DOOD. I don´t see your point. You keep saying this is going to die, it´s possible but I think you REALLY pissed of Kalaron. Will it be something wrong if SRB2CB will live on?

But the thing is, it'll still be ignored over time. Again, a few token wads demonstrating a few things, and then, interest plops to the ground. Golf mode and Karts had this issue, and those mainly got a pass for being different gametypes in the first place, so I doubt many maps will be made for SRB2CB at all, and SRB2CB will die off once again. Or just become Kalaron's pet project and it'll be ignored, just like with poor SRB2Morphed.

Just like the lack of Vanilla releases we have. Very few, and most are forgotten.

Let be honest here; slopes are the big draw to SRB2CB
Well then, here's our rift. They may be for you, and for others, but they are only a bonus in my mind. As I've already stated, Skyboxes and Polyobjects, and OpenGL. Those are the three main attractions. The first allows me to make environments that give much more of an impression of wide openness, and freedom. The second allows me to use one of the most interesting feature in SRB2, without it looking like absolute crap. The third, OpenGL, allows me to not have to worry nearly as much about software glitches. And believe me, in the stuff I want to make, I have to worry about them a lot. It's going to be very interesting to see what I can pull off using these.

D00D64:

I agree with what you're saying - This will die off, but it's fine with me. Honestly I'm aware of SRB2CB as it as right now - I know there's some stuff lacking, most likely not many people will make maps for SRB2CB, I know there's some stuff that isn't "full" and solid, but I still have fun with this,

I get some enjoyment out of this little project and other people do too, but honestly, what do you want from it, D00D64?

Honestly, if I were to come out and make a level pack, I'd see if I can make it Vanilla compatible while taking advantage of cosmetic features of CB like skyboxes as an optional extra, because with some of the ideas I have, having skyboxes would enhance it so much while still keeping it within the realms of SRB2-ness.

I love the bots!! @^@ its awesome and it working in my laptop now! The shadows are cool too! One thing, the hand glider doesn’t do anything... other than that it’s great and even more that I can ever believe
Oh and the polygons, great job getting those rendering affects to leave!

@D00D:
If that's your way of reasoning about mods, we might as well remove the whole section and kill every single wad except Mystic_realm and Tortured_planet since most of them aren't remembered anymore. Just let him continue CB if he wants to, no need to rub it in his face.

Besides, standards and people on forums change very rapidly. What we think now may not be true in the future, CB for all we know could become very popular.

I still honestly don't get where this drama comes from, I actually think it's kinda funny - it's just a mod guys, use it if you feel like it :P

Thanks to the people who've posted comments that were constructive and positive - I'm glad some of you guys like this little mod :)

As I've already stated, Skyboxes and Polyobjects, and OpenGL. Those are the three main attractions.

All even more visual aesthetic then slopes, which means its pretty, and nothing else, except for possibly one token gimmick with Skyboxes for one map that never comes into play anywhere else.

As for for the fate of this mod, looks like it'll end up in Pet Project status upon death to the public eye. And for my point, the point is that I have no idea where this demand for more SRB2CB stuff came from, but I do know it wont last. I see no reason to make a mod SRB2CB only, and many others clearly don't. "Don't use it" will soon end up being "why bother using it" and I can't see it being any other way.

D00D64, why are you ignoring everything I'm writing about how I agree with you, and my reasons for being ok with 'being out of the public view'

And more importantly - You're ignoring anything that I have in store for this and what I could add to this. There's only a handful of objects in here anyway, and I want to add a bunch more and make what's already implemented more interesting.

Could you actually give more constructive suggestions/criticism on what can be done?

Tell me what's lacking, and what this needs to be redone entirely, I already have stuff in mind, but do you have any ideas you want to add to this project?

Last edited:
I think the whole conversation should stop here.
Both of you have gotten your points out there, further discussion is only proving useless.

D00D64 doesn't bother me at all, he doesn't mean anything malicious - and I'm not mad or upset at all, it's just that he usually gives more constructive criticism - I said I agree with him, yet it still seems like he wants to argue something.

It's ok, D00D64, I'm going to do more than just code, I'll start releasing real SRB2 levels separately that use this. I still have a couple good mappers too who are still interested in making levels.

Is there anything you want from this project - outside of the exe itself? You want to see more levels and real content that adds to the gameplay?

That's what I came back for - I already have some good mappers that have interest in using this, and I'm still interested in making SRB2 levels.

At least know that I have no malice toward what you're saying, D00D64 - regardless, I'm going kick up a notch.

Remember that old community texture pack?
I haven't forgotten about that, and TX_START makes it easy to add those textures without TEXTURE1 & PNAME errors.

And don't forget that now with SRB2DB2 - you can sort textures by group

Dude, I'm just getting started - don't worry, I'm not expecting community support anymore (maybe I should change the name :P ), but this thing will seriously get used for at least a few mods which are being worked on right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back