• Do not use Works in Progress as a way of avoiding the releases system! Works in Progress can be used for sharing early betas and for getting suggestions for improvement. Releases of finished content are not allowed in this forum! If you would like to submit a finished addon, click here for instructions on how to do so.
  • We've updated our submissions guidelines to address AI generated content, take a look at them here.

SRB2: Coded (Provisional name): A Kingdom Hearts style mod

Red2010

check my channel..... this is not spam xD
Hey, hi.

I know not many people here know me, but I’m not new to the forum (I’ve been visiting regularly since the pandemic). Anyway, after I finished the first Kingdom Hearts a while back, I had this itch to combine it with the gameplay of a Sonic game... When I started getting back into SRB2 a few weeks ago, the idea of trying to pull that off here crossed my mind. So, I had to learn Lua programming, create mockups, get organized, and start tackling the challenge.

After a couple of weeks and sharing some progress on Discord, I thought it was the right time to show off the mod here:
srb20542.png

Okay, at first glance, navigating this HUD might seem a bit complex... but it really boils down to a couple of things.

The SP bar: see that little green bar in the image? Well, it's used to activate a skill with Custom 1!
srb20035.gif

For now, the only one I’ve programmed is the Sonic one (the one you can see in the GIF with the off-colors above this text), though the concept is as simple as giving the character a passive mobility ability (which, in this case, makes him move faster for as long as the gauge lasts).

The Spirit Gauge: I’m not sure how to demonstrate this just yet (I haven't programmed any abilities involving it yet), but I imagine it will be a super cool ability you can use once the gauge is completely full... and that’s a good excuse to talk about...

Spirits: In the levels, you’ll notice that certain monitors—which used to give you rings—have changed to display a different icon:
srb20034.gif

As you can see, upon breaking this monitor, you’ll be granted a Spirit (for now, they’re exclusively from Kingdom Hearts, though the plan is to include a bit of everything and give more prominence to elements that usually take a backseat to the Mouse’s movies, Pixar, or Marvel). These Spirits will tweak your stats—boosting a specific attribute or granting a new ability... Think of them like the Spirits in Smash Ultimate, but actually significant rather than just being limited to a couple of game modes

And after that... well, I could name and describe other systems—like the levels, or whether I'll add compatibility with any mods—but that's all still in the very early stages. As for the project's name (SRB2: Coded), it's simply because I'm using the HUD from the DS game KH: Re:coded (it was the easiest one to make).

Anyway, here are some screenshots... and I'll see you all whenever I feel like updating this again
srb20543.png
srb20544.png
srb20545.png

srb20541.png
Credits to Team Blue spring: the life counter was based in his code for the Classic Style
 
  • Cool!
Reactions: Dee

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back
Top