• Do not use Works in Progress as a way of avoiding the releases system! Works in Progress can be used for sharing early betas and for getting suggestions for improvement. Releases of finished content are not allowed in this forum! If you would like to submit a finished addon, click here for instructions on how to do so.

SRB2 But Its 21 Century Humor

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheMinero

oh yeah,! this is happening!
SONIC ROBO BRUH 2 !

1626660500024.png

It´s literally sonic robo blast 2 but its 21 century humor

its a work in progress, all names from levels, Except those of match and other types of game are changed, since I do not play them but I will try to change them.

we have changed the gameplay of tails !, (we will also change the others), do not play with it if you do not want a bad experience !, since it is literally useless.

also the mod will have swear words and sounds of old memes

If you don't want any of these, then DON'T PLAY IT!

If you want to see a demo I will put more updates and things here, and see the DoMikoto video if you want to see a gameplay demo, the link is here:

MADE BY THEMINERO AND KIRB THE KORB WORK IN PROGRESS

Last edited:
So, let's talk about what this is based on Much like how Sonic but BAD is based on the FNF but BAD mods, this is based off those various FNF but funni mods, and just like Sonic but BAD, this is an attempt to transplant the "funni" stuff with little to no understanding about what made that content actually funny, and what that content was about. The "funni" mods altered the music in unexpected ways, and while a good deal of them were memes, it was still altering the music and charts. An SRB2 equivalent of this would be altering its level design; altering the music and charting of a rhythm game is like altering a level in a platformer, but this mod does not try to alter the levels at all. Instead, it alters the characters and some sound/visual changes. I feel like the point here is lost because you can see what most of the differences are with a character in a matter of minutes, and this has to last for a whole single player campaign that is not any different outside of what most of it sounds like, and a few very minor sprite changes.

And don't go telling me "It's supposed to be bad" is a valid excuse either. Because you know what other mod has been around before, changes nearly all of its visuals and sounds, and sports its own level design that makes up the bulk of its content? Sweet Bro and Hella Jeff Robo Blast 2, the best joke mod ever made. Absolutely everything about it is appalling; its visuals, its sounds, its level design... Everything about it is dreadful, and it is beautiful in how dreadful it is. It is the perfect example of a "supposed to be bad" mod that succeeds in being so bad it's good. Every level has its own jokes on visuals, level design, gimmicks, what have you You can never be sure what you could possibly expect on the next zone. There's even cutscenes between levels to pretend there's a story and keep you all the more anticipated to see what's next. And even crazier, it manages to do all of this with NO LUA CODING OR CHARACTER ALTERATION WHATSOEVER. A mod this ridiculous, and not a drop of Lua.

But we DO have a joke mod that uses Lua, and that's PANIC. Much like SBaHJRB2, it has a bunch of weird level design gimmicks and tropes, and does a lot to mess with your expectations. You can't even be sure how the mod starts, as each time you play loads you into a different HUB map with... two options. And one of these maps can take you half an hour at best to do while another is seconds long. That's just how this starts. This map set even has some technical showcases going on here, making it even impressive on that front. And then there's the sheer audacity of some levels, like the absurd size of the Backrooms. I still don't know if there's an exit to that level. Overall, a strange experience, and another or the "So bad it's good" list.

And the last joke mod I can mention is sonc's funny adventure. Instead of weird gimmicks or even sounds, it's just a short joke story with some minor level design. There's hardly anything in the levels, but they all serve the narrative, and at least I can see the humor tried here. I played it and I smiled. That's worth something.

So, what do all 3 of these joke mods have in common? They all got levels. SRB2's levels are some of the most important things about it. If you try to make a joke mod, and all it does is alter sounds and some very minor visual changes, am I really gonna play the whole campaign with it? I'm gonna turn it on, hear what most of the weird sounds are, not laugh at mot of them because almost all of them are meme sounds I have heard elsewhere, try and guess the silly thing each character does, and quit. I suppose character altering alone can be enough to carry a joke mod, but it has to be something RALLY engaging. HMS123311 is funny for his sheer audacity in overpoweredness. Hard Sonic got that absurd shmovement. Even the different flavors of Earless force you to play differently. A Sonic that goes way too fast when using Boost mode just means I gotta stop moving every now and then. Not really engaging.

Frankly, I'm not feeling this. I don't think it's funny. It seems like you're doing the exact same thing as Sonic but Bad, using "its supposed to be bad" as an excuse to put out something sloppy. Intentionally Bad humor is tough to get right, and this just isn't trying hard enough. You say it's a WIP, but if its so far along that you are willing to give a beta to some Sonictuber to make content with, then its already close to how you want the whole package to be. It's not "bad", its not "funni", its just lame.

Last edited:
D00D, im not saying you're wrong, but veggietales was right.
As in Random equals funny? Yes that is true, but the memes here aren’t random. They’re scripted and you always expect them to show up because it’s the same tired old memes over and over and over again with no variation or reason

As in Random equals funny? Yes that is true, but the memes here aren’t random. They’re scripted and you always expect them to show up because it’s the same tired old memes over and over and over again with no variation or reason
Yeah good point
visiting the front page of reddit be like

So, let's talk about what this is based on Much like how Sonic but BAD is based on the FNF but BAD mods, this is based off those various FNF but funni mods, and just like Sonic but BAD, this is an attempt to transplant the "funni" stuff with little to no understanding about what made that content actually funny, and what that content was about. The "funni" mods altered the music in unexpected ways, and while a good deal of them were memes, it was still altering the music and charts. An SRB2 equivalent of this would be altering its level design; altering the music and charting of a rhythm game is like altering a level in a platformer, but this mod does not try to alter the levels at all. Instead, it alters the characters and some sound/visual changes. I feel like the point here is lost because you can see what most of the differences are with a character in a matter of minutes, and this has to last for a whole single player campaign that is not any different outside of what most of it sounds like, and a few very minor sprite changes.

And don't go telling me "It's supposed to be bad" is a valid excuse either. Because you know what other mod has been around before, changes nearly all of its visuals and sounds, and sports its own level design that makes up the bulk of its content? Sweet Bro and Hella Jeff Robo Blast 2, the best joke mod ever made. Absolutely everything about it is appalling; its visuals, its sounds, its level design... Everything about it is dreadful, and it is beautiful in how dreadful it is. It is the perfect example of a "supposed to be bad" mod that succeeds in being so bad it's good. Every level has its own jokes on visuals, level design, gimmicks, what have you You can never be sure what you could possibly expect on the next zone. There's even cutscenes between levels to pretend there's a story and keep you all the more anticipated to see what's next. And even crazier, it manages to do all of this with NO LUA CODING OR CHARACTER ALTERATION WHATSOEVER. A mod this ridiculous, and not a drop of Lua.

But we DO have a joke mod that uses Lua, and that's PANIC. Much like SBaHJRB2, it has a bunch of weird level design gimmicks and tropes, and does a lot to mess with your expectations. You can't even be sure how the mod starts, as each time you play loads you into a different HUB map with... two options. And one of these maps can take you half an hour at best to do while another is seconds long. That's just how this starts. This map set even has some technical showcases going on here, making it even impressive on that front. And then there's the sheer audacity of some levels, like the absurd size of the Backrooms. I still don't know if there's an exit to that level. Overall, a strange experience, and another or the "So bad it's good" list.

And the last joke mod I can mention is sonc's funny adventure. Instead of weird gimmicks or even sounds, it's just a short joke story with some minor level design. There's hardly anything in the levels, but they all serve the narrative, and at least I can see the humor tried here. I played it and I smiled. That's worth something.

So, what do all 3 of these joke mods have in common? They all got levels. SRB2's levels are some of the most important things about it. If you try to make a joke mod, and all it does is alter sounds and some very minor visual changes, am I really gonna play the whole campaign with it? I'm gonna turn it on, hear what most of the weird sounds are, not laugh at mot of them because almost all of them are meme sounds I have heard elsewhere, try and guess the silly thing each character does, and quit. I suppose character altering alone can be enough to carry a joke mod, but it has to be something RALLY engaging. HMS123311 is funny for his sheer audacity in overpoweredness. Hard Sonic got that absurd shmovement. Even the different flavors of Earless force you to play differently. A Sonic that goes way too fast when using Boost mode just means I gotta stop moving every now and then. Not really engaging.

Frankly, I'm not feeling this. I don't think it's funny. It seems like you're doing the exact same thing as Sonic but Bad, using "its supposed to be bad" as an excuse to put out something sloppy. Intentionally Bad humor is tough to get right, and this just isn't trying hard enough. You say it's a WIP, but if its so far along that you are willing to give a beta to some Sonictuber to make content with, then its already close to how you want the whole package to be. It's not "bad", its not "funni", its just lame.
what a good way how to boost down confidence!
and also the man said it a work in progress so all of the nice "inspiring things you say might happen!"

and also the man said it a work in progress so all of the nice "inspiring things you say might happen!"
It's a work in progress, yet you already have someone else with a known install base promoting your mod as if to say "yes, this is what you can expect for the whole experience". Nothing about the levels are any different but names and music, as in nothing to do with level design, which is what most other whole game joke mods do. There's absolutely no guarantee that anything would be different if nobody says anything.

Though, I would like to continue more on what I said, as I forgot to mention this; almost all of the jokes here are memes. Just because you leave out Amogus doesnt mean you can float by off of memes and nothing else aside from the very minor Lua thing your character may do. And this is coming from a guy who loves his audio SFX nonsense. There needs to be far more than what's going on here to be anything but the one elongated joke of "every funny sound effect you have heard this year".

It's a work in progress, yet you already have someone else with a known install base promoting your mod as if to say "yes, this is what you can expect for the whole experience". Nothing about the levels are any different but names and music, as in nothing to do with level design, which is what most other whole game joke mods do. There's absolutely no guarantee that anything would be different if nobody says anything.

Though, I would like to continue more on what I said, as I forgot to mention this; almost all of the jokes here are memes. Just because you leave out Amogus doesnt mean you can float by off of memes and nothing else aside from the very minor Lua thing your character may do. And this is coming from a guy who loves his audio SFX nonsense. There needs to be far more than what's going on here to be anything but the one elongated joke of "every funny sound effect you have heard this year".
Do you remember SRB2 H?

So, how is constructive criticism intended to improve a WIP mod a "good way to boost down confidence"?
Also, just because something is work in progress doesn't mean it's free from criticism. In fact, this is THE best moment to receive it, because you're still working on it.

D00D made some very good points, most specifically the comparisons with other great joke mods. Let me tell ya, that Sweet Bro & Hella Jeff mod is an otherworldly experience, it's extremely unique in its weirdness. Panic is essentially a prank compilation that varies in both quality and creativity that makes it a very crazy playthrough each time. And sonc's funny adventure is a rather wholesome experience where there was still a lot of effort put into making a very silly story.

...Needless to say, replacing sounds and a few graphics with random memes with a complete lack of cohesion or sense makes the experience feel completely aimless and just plain annoying. Currently its ear-grating to listen to any of the "funni" sounds and the amount of needless swearing on the CSS descriptions feels really childish.

I genuinely hope you take D00D's criticisms to heart, because if the final product is anything like what's currently shown on the video well... It'd be disappointing to say the least.
There's fun in controlled chaos, and the mods listed before showcase that in spades.

Yes, I do, but it was also never pretending to be anything more than H. I don't think most people who know of H actually played a full game with it, but I wouldn't expect people to do that either. It's just H. No more, no less.
Of course! It's not all just H, it has many things changed, except for th- well i haven't seen the mod, but i think the levels stay the same.

Laying the issues of just swapping non level game assets aside, if the entire intent is to deliver a "bad" experience, or to make it as painful as possible, then I find it hard to understand why you're using your dev time on a joke mod that will be forgotten in a few weeks time. You're better off using this time to crank your Lua usage up to have it be even more unpredictable, or as already pointed out, at least a level pack that offers something new aside from vanilla.

My issue with mods like these is that they lack the hook to justify trying your modifications out compared to others. A simple reswap of game assets is something that anyone can do, and when it was in full form (Repainted Project for TTYD, and even that had the entire dialogue replaced by the community and it was actually funny) it got old really quick. When anyone plays a mod like this they go into a mindset of having their expectations broken, and the question then becomes: How can you break expectations of an audience that exactly anticipates that?

My opinion to such is sadly: Well, certainly not like this. In the end, you will have to decide if your time spent on this joke project of yours is worth it. If it is, more power to you. I would, however, not expect the same reaction from the users of this MB.

Yes, I do, but it was also never pretending to be anything more than H. I don't think most people who know of H actually played a full game with it, but I wouldn't expect people to do that either. It's just H. No more, no less.
Theres also SRB7, replicating the horrors of Sonic Adventure 7 in a SRB2 wad, and the joke is much more than just random memes and is actually centered on one central thing of the wad.

Theres also SRB7, replicating the horrors of Sonic Adventure 7 in a SRB2 wad, and the joke is much more than just random memes and is actually centered on one central thing of the wad.
That also drastically alters the gameplay. SRB2 but funni is literally just random memes thrown in to replace sound effects

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back