Sonic Robo Blast 2 Pet Peeves

The controls for Amy's hammer. When you're on the ground, you press spin to use the hammer, and the same when you're in the air... except when you have a shield, where you double jump instead to use her hammer. But the moment you touch the ground you go back to using spin, and messing this up (either through misremembering or because you weren't technically touching the ground) means you accidentally use your shield ability rather than the hammer.

The solution here ought to be that for Amy shield abilities are activated by double jump.

The controls for Amy's hammer. When you're on the ground, you press spin to use the hammer, and the same when you're in the air... except when you have a shield, where you double jump instead to use her hammer. But the moment you touch the ground you go back to using spin, and messing this up (either through misremembering or because you weren't technically touching the ground) means you accidentally use your shield ability rather than the hammer.

The solution here ought to be that for Amy shield abilities are activated by double jump.
Personally, I find it more confusing for Amy's shield abilities to be activated by double jump unlike all other characters. The inconsistency with which key uses the hammer is a little annoying, but I don't think there's a better solution to this problem. I normally use jump+jump when hammering in mid-air, but I sometimes use jump+spin when fighting bosses because you can never obtain a shield in boss fights.

If we're talking petty nitpicks, I prefer the snappy movement of the old versions' titlecards. 2.2's are definitely better, but I wished they slid into place less smoothly. Makes them feel, I dunno, sluggish?

Everyone else - Midair Ability = Jump, Shield Ability = Spin
Amy - Midair Ability = Spin, Shield Ability = Jump

nah chief, thats way more confusing.
Hammer being spin on the ground and being jump or spin in the air isnt really as much as an issue as some probably think it is. Hammer midair doesnt have to use the same button as grounded hammer. For example, thok doesn't use spin like spindash. There's really no need for a "hammer button"

1. Some shield placements just don't make sense, armageddon shields are far too likely (not a HATE but its offputting)
2. Eggman always laughs, as opposed to only laughing when he hits you. This annoys me way more than it should, I absolutely HATE this. I don't know why this just makes me so angry.
3. Armageddon Shield is not a very good shield. But I mean theres some spots in Deep Sea, GFZ 1, and then the disco room in ERZ2, the armageddon shield is good for enemies, but alot of times enemies arent really in the way.
4. That Red Volcano Zone emblem where you take a "golden key" or something i dunno but it has an elemental shield in it, but the way you get to the dang shield i just dont get other than Super.
5. The gargoyles in Azure Temple Zone that shoot green fire are just the most annoying things ever.
6. ERZ2 in Ultimate Mode.
7. Jettysyns.

1. For me, what I find odd are not the shield placements, but some of the hidden Eggman monitors. There are some, such as one on a cliff near the beginning of GF1, which are like, "Hey! You explored the level! Here's your reward! It's pain! Pain is your reward!" I understand using them as an obstacle, forcing you to more more careful with your jumps, but when you have to go out of your way to find them, it's just odd.

2. I never noticed. I noticed he laughs after he hits you, but never noticed he laughs anyway.

3. You know what would have been a good use of the Armageddon Shield? Put a golden one in areas where there are Bee Elementals. Then you could deal with those annoying enemies with more ease. But even then, I'd rather you just removed Bee Elementals altogether. They suck. I hate them so much. lol

4. I had to look this one up to remember it. I think the idea behind it was to make it so you couldn't rely on rings. You have a limited amount of time to navigate to the emblem. My problem with it is more that it's difficult to find the path to begin with. The walls are all the same shade of red, so spotting a tiny hidden cave is difficult. Personally, I'd make the opening easier to find and increase the challenge by making the path to the emblem longer, with more invincibility monitors along the way.

5. Agreed. Those things are annoying. I'm not totally against them, though. I just think the way they're implemented in Azure Temple is awful. That level places them everywhere and just abuses them. The worst part is when you're stuck in a narrow hallway, and not only do you have to jump over a line of green fire, but you also simultaneously have to worry about the line of green fire coming from behind you, which will hit you if you're not on the ground. And let's throw in a bottomless pit there too, just to add insult to injury when you get hit. lol

6. Never played Ultimate mode, but I can imagine...

7. The only thing I find annoying about them is how they'll move up when you try to jump into them, making them really annoying to try to kill.

1. For me, what I find odd are not the shield placements, but some of the hidden Eggman monitors. There are some, such as one on a cliff near the beginning of GF1, which are like, "Hey! You explored the level! Here's your reward! It's pain! Pain is your reward!" I understand using them as an obstacle, forcing you to more more careful with your jumps, but when you have to go out of your way to find them, it's just odd.
I honestly don't get the point of Eggman monitors, honestly alot of times you just look at them and go like "oh... that exists... bye". I just don't get the concept of them because... you're not fooling anyone with them. I've never been "tricked" by an Eggman monitor, kinda just seems like a troll monitor lol, there's like two sections in the entire game where theres a life surrounded by eggman monitors, which is good as its not even a good use of them, I'd hope they didn't do that OFTEN.

They're so useless I even considered them as a "Shield Remover" for if you want to go Super but you have a shield on so you can't. The only time you'd hit an eggman monitor is if you're trying to go super and you have a shield in the way xd.
Even then theres other ways to get rid of your shield but idk its funnier to use the useless shield.

I honestly don't get the point of Eggman monitors, honestly alot of times you just look at them and go like "oh... that exists... bye". I just don't get the concept of them because... you're not fooling anyone with them. I've never been "tricked" by an Eggman monitor, kinda just seems like a troll monitor lol, there's like two sections in the entire game where theres a life surrounded by eggman monitors, which is good as its not even a good use of them, I'd hope they didn't do that OFTEN.

They're so useless I even considered them as a "Shield Remover" for if you want to go Super but you have a shield on so you can't. The only time you'd hit an eggman monitor is if you're trying to go super and you have a shield in the way xd.
Even then theres other ways to get rid of your shield but idk its funnier to use the useless shield.
It’s purpose is to punish players who aren’t paying attention. It’s also just funny to see

It’s purpose is to punish players who aren’t paying attention. It’s also just funny to see
I guess that makes sense, it's very possible to not pay attention and just see a box without seeing the very obvious rectangle displaying content inside it. You'd never look to see if it was a shield or a ring box you'd just hit it cause "ooh boxes are usually good". Seriously, it's not fooling anyone, and I don't see how a bad game design principle is "funny". Putting eggman boxes in secret areas where you'd expect a reward is nothing more of an unprofessional troll. It's also lazy, "ooh a place with nothing here? just put thingtype 410 and boom, that'll trick them"
it really doesn't do anything other than just be there.
edit: this isnt meant to be taken offensively, i know people have other opinions than me, this is meant to be a disagreement

I guess that makes sense, it's very possible to not pay attention and just see a box without seeing the very obvious rectangle displaying content inside it. You'd never look to see if it was a shield or a ring box you'd just hit it cause "ooh boxes are usually good". Seriously, it's not fooling anyone, and I don't see how a bad game design principle is "funny". Putting eggman boxes in secret areas where you'd expect a reward is nothing more of an unprofessional troll. It's also lazy, "ooh a place with nothing here? just put thingtype 410 and boom, that'll trick them"
it really doesn't do anything other than just be there.
edit: this isnt meant to be taken offensively, i know people have other opinions than me, this is meant to be a disagreement
The thing is, it’s not in secret areas. You always find them on the main path, like next to the final minecart in ACZ1

The thing is, it’s not in secret areas. You always find them on the main path, like next to the final minecart in ACZ1
Beginning of DSZ1 and GFZ1, and theres probably more examples that i cant list off the top of my head. It's not an obstacle despite the fact it's a "hazard". Therefore the "it's just there", as i'm prone to paying attention to what i see in a platforming game. After all, I need to beat Ultimate mode.

Beginning of DSZ1 and GFZ1, and theres probably more examples that i cant list off the top of my head. It's not an obstacle despite the fact it's a "hazard". Therefore the "it's just there", as i'm prone to paying attention to what i see in a platforming game. After all, I need to beat Ultimate mode.
So it's not that much of a hazard if you pay attention, which means it's doing it's job

Enemies actually move towards you, this thing you have to go out of your way to smash, and it's never in your way, its usually off to the side or off of the main path. It's never used creatively probably because there's no way to use it creatively, the most creative thing is spamming them in a circle around a life box, which I don't think is good game design, but it's a unique way to use it i guess
Post automatically merged:

"Everybody who isn't Amy - Midair Ability = Jump, Shield Ability = Spin
Amy - Midair Ability = Spin, Shield Ability = Jump"
nah chief, thats way more confusing.
Hammer being spin on the ground and being jump or spin in the air isnt really as much as an issue as some probably think it is. Hammer midair doesnt have to use the same button as grounded hammer. For example, thok doesn't use spin like spindash. There's really no need for a "hammer button"
Like, I really think

Jump - Jump
Ground Ability - Spin
Midair Ability - Jump
Shield Ability - Spin

There's no need to be confused by the "ok but what about hammer ability button" when you can simply think of it like this. That's how I think of it currently. This "rule" works for every vanilla character. Amy's only special because her twinspin can be activated with spin as well as jump, as opposed to only jump.

Last edited:

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back