Sonic mania theory

SONIcsez1234

Spriter who is still practicing
Ok so I think whenever sonic mania happened at the final zone supersonic got sent to forces, but instead of going to an alternate dimension, he went to the future. I think that because of the IDW comics where Eggman got amnesia and forgot who he was and I also think because of IDW Super Sonic could've protected everyone on the planet from forgetting everything but he couldn't stop them from forgetting the events. Sorry I think I worded that weirdly.

Ok so I think whenever sonic mania happened at the final zone supersonic got sent to forces, but instead of going to an alternate dimension, he went to the future. I think that because of the IDW comics where Eggman got amnesia and forgot who he was and I also think because of IDW Super Sonic could've protected everyone on the planet from forgetting everything but he couldn't stop them from forgetting the events. Sorry I think I worded that weirdly.
Mania takes place in an alternate timeline that was created because of Generations. Classic Eggman saw where Modern Eggman failed and is pushing for different plans, starting with using the Phantom Ruby on Angel Island. When Classic Sonic defeats Eggman in Egg Reverie Zone and the Chaos Emeralds react to the Phantom Ruby, Classic Sonic was sent back to the main timeline. This is why Tails says that Classic Sonic is from another dimension.

tl:dr, the Sonic series’ version of time travel is very similar to the version of time travel we see in Avengers: Endgame. If you go back and change something in the past, you don’t affect your own future but instead create a new dimension that goes down a separate path

Mania takes place in an alternate timeline that was created because of Generations. Classic Eggman saw where Modern Eggman failed and is pushing for different plans, starting with using the Phantom Ruby on Angel Island. When Classic Sonic defeats Eggman in Egg Reverie Zone and the Chaos Emeralds react to the Phantom Ruby, Classic Sonic was sent back to the main timeline. This is why Tails says that Classic Sonic is from another dimension.

tl:dr, the Sonic series’ version of time travel is very similar to the version of time travel we see in Avengers: Endgame. If you go back and change something in the past, you don’t affect your own future but instead create a new dimension that goes down a separate path
Also, how did Tails know he was from another dimension and not the past?

Also, how did Tails know he was from another dimension and not the past?
Because assuming that Tails is one of the smartest characters in the Sonic universe, he would recognize what I’ve stated about time travel being similar to Endgame’s. An in game event that supports this is the fact that Crisis City was a playable area in Generations despite not actually existing in their timeline. If you remember the ending of 06, Sonic blows out Solaris’ flame causing none of the events to happen for 06 to take action. This caused a reset in the timeline and the Rush games take place after Shadow the Hedgehog (which has all of its own different timeline shenanigans because of its many different endings) instead of 06. When Crisis City appears in Generartions, the cast doesn’t have any memory of it and they’re essentially just visiting that original timeline

Because assuming that Tails is one of the smartest characters in the Sonic universe, he would recognize what I’ve stated about time travel being similar to Endgame’s. An in game event that supports this is the fact that Crisis City was a playable area in Generations despite not actually existing in their timeline. If you remember the ending of 06, Sonic blows out Solaris’ flame causing none of the events to happen for 06 to take action. This caused a reset in the timeline and the Rush games take place after Shadow the Hedgehog (which has all of its own different timeline shenanigans because of its many different endings) instead of 06. When Crisis City appears in Generartions, the cast doesn’t have any memory of it and they’re essentially just visiting that original timeline
What's really interesting about this is that even though Sonic destroyed that timeline by blowing out the flame, the Time Eater was still able to reach that timeline with it's power. It's nothing new for ancient deities to appear within Sonic, but it makes you wonder just how much of a god the Time Eater really was. It's probably for the better that it's rather passive when not being controlled by Eggman. If it was evil, the Time Eater could easily bring entities such as Solaris and Mephiles into the Modern timeline.

What's really interesting about this is that even though Sonic destroyed that timeline by blowing out the flame, the Time Eater was still able to reach that timeline with it's power. It's nothing new for ancient deities to appear within Sonic, but it makes you wonder just how much of a god the Time Eater really was. It's probably for the better that it's rather passive when not being controlled by Eggman. If it was evil, the Time Eater could easily bring entities such as Solaris and Mephiles into the Modern timeline.
Although Eggman calls it the “Time Eater”, I feel a more accurate name would be the “Time and Space Eater” due to its ability to take different places and people throughout time and place them in White Space.

While we’re on the topic of the Time Eater, I have a feeling that it might have created the Phantom Ruby due to the similar color scheme and how the portals both entities create looking very similar. This would explain why the Phantom Ruby was on Angel Island (which the Time Eater visited by going to Sky Sanctuary/Mushroom Hill) in the Classic Timeline despite no one knowing about it at all in the Main Timeline until we’ll after Generations.

I think it’s funny how people say the Sonic Timeline is very confusing when all you need to do is look at the evidence provided in the games lmao

It is not true according to sonic 2006 if you change the past you change the future

This is shown at the end of the game where Sonic prevents the events of the game from taking place by turning off Solaris when he was a flame

Also, if that were true, that would mean that the sonic from Adventure to 2006 and the one from Unleashed to Forces are different characters not only that if not all the characters

While we’re on the topic of the Time Eater, I have a feeling that it might have created the Phantom Ruby due to the similar color scheme and how the portals both entities create looking very similar. This would explain why the Phantom Ruby was on Angel Island (which the Time Eater visited by going to Sky Sanctuary/Mushroom Hill) in the Classic Timeline despite no one knowing about it at all in the Main Timeline until we’ll after Generations.
It's possible there's some sort of connection between the Phantom Ruby and the Time Eater, but I don't feel like that connection is a direct one. The Ruby's power seems to be one of creating copies and illusions, or more specifically making illusions "real". There's not really a time/space relation there other than it being able to create copies of places and enemies from Sonic's past.

It is not true according to sonic 2006 if you change the past you change the future

This is shown at the end of the game where Sonic prevents the events of the game from taking place by turning off Solaris when he was a flame

Also, if that were true, that would mean that the sonic from Adventure to 2006 and the one from Unleashed to Forces are different characters not only that if not all the characters
Sonic 06 actually does fit into the same logic as Generations leading to Mania in a separate timeline. Sonic blowing out the flame creates the Modern Timeline which doesn't have Solaris in it in the same way that Classic Sonic and Eggman create the Mania timeline when they choose to live out new futures different from their Modern counterparts. This did not destroy the Modern Timeline in the process.

As such the Solaris Timeline still exists, which is why the Time Eater was able to reach it with it's power.

It's possible there's some sort of connection between the Phantom Ruby and the Time Eater, but I don't feel like that connection is a direct one. The Ruby's power seems to be one of creating copies and illusions, or more specifically making illusions "real". There's not really a time/space relation there other than it being able to create copies of places and enemies from Sonic's past.

Sonic 06 actually does fit into the same logic as Generations leading to Mania in a separate timeline. Sonic blowing out the flame creates the Modern Timeline which doesn't have Solaris in it in the same way that Classic Sonic and Eggman create the Mania timeline when they choose to live out new futures different from their Modern counterparts. This did not destroy the Modern Timeline in the process.

As such the Solaris Timeline still exists, which is why the Time Eater was able to reach it with it's power.
Well that explains the character changes from unleashed onwards

Although now that I think about it, why does Blaze remember Crisis City in Sonic Generations?

Last edited:
Although now that I think about it, why does Blaze remember Crisis City in Sonic Generations?
Blaze and Silver are both something of an enigma. Blaze in 06 seems to remember Sonic after hearing about a "Blue Hedgehog" from Mephiles, even though that version of her never met Sonic. The Silver in the Modern Timeline is the one from Rivals while the Blaze from the Modern Timeline is from Rush, yet somehow the two characters still know each other, and Silver's future in particular seems to change depending on whatever is happening in the present even though Silver himself seems to be the same individual returning from the future each time. It's all quite odd and hard to explain.

Blaze and Silver are both something of an enigma. Blaze in 06 seems to remember Sonic after hearing about a "Blue Hedgehog" from Mephiles, even though that version of her never met Sonic. The Silver in the Modern Timeline is the one from Rivals while the Blaze from the Modern Timeline is from Rush, yet somehow the two characters still know each other, and Silver's future in particular seems to change depending on whatever is happening in the present even though Silver himself seems to be the same individual returning from the future each time. It's all quite odd and hard to explain.
I think the dimension to which Blaze was transportedat at the end of Sonic 2006 is the Sol dimension and that somehow she lost her memory and after seeing crisis city she regained her memory

Which means that Blaze is the one from 2006

As for how Silver travels to the modern timeline it could be because he used the time stones that according to Sonic Cd allow you to control the time at your will so I would not be surprised if they also allow you to go to other timelines.

but those are just my theories

As for why they know each other in the modern timeline is explained in Sonic Colors for the DS

You misunderstood me. When the original Sonic (lets call him Solaris Sonic) went back to blow out the flame, he created a new timeline. His original timeline still retains the events of 06 and we stop following Solaris Sonic as there are no more games that take place after 06. In the new timeline, we meet Sonic (lets call him Modern Sonic) in Sonic 1 and he goes through the Classic and Adventure Sagas, but because Solaris doesn’t exist in this timeline anymore, 06 can’t happen and the Rush games take its place. This is the same Modern Sonic that was able to go on to later games like Unleashed, Colors, and Lost World, hence his nickname.

And in case you bring up the whole “Classic Sonic is a separate character” thing, that’s true and false at the same time. Modern Sonic still went through the Classic Saga much like Solaris Sonic did, but the Time Eater picked up Sonic at some point between 3&K and Adventure and forced him to join Modern Sonic for Generations. At the end, he goes back to his timeline with Classic Tails (and Classic Eggman later on) and Mania starts up, creating the Classic Timeline.

You misunderstood me. When the original Sonic (lets call him Solaris Sonic) went back to blow out the flame, he created a new timeline. His original timeline still retains the events of 06 and we stop following Solaris Sonic as there are no more games that take place after 06. In the new timeline, we meet Sonic (lets call him Modern Sonic) in Sonic 1 and he goes through the Classic and Adventure Sagas, but because Solaris doesn’t exist in this timeline anymore, 06 can’t happen and the Rush games take its place. This is the same Modern Sonic that was able to go on to later games like Unleashed, Colors, and Lost World, hence his nickname.

And in case you bring up the whole “Classic Sonic is a separate character” thing, that’s true and false at the same time. Modern Sonic still went through the Classic Saga much like Solaris Sonic did, but the Time Eater picked up Sonic at some point between 3&K and Adventure and forced him to join Modern Sonic for Generations. At the end, he goes back to his timeline with Classic Tails (and Classic Eggman later on) and Mania starts up, creating the Classic Timeline.
Pretty much, yeah. Rush and Rivals take the place of 06 on the Modern Timeline, and don't happen on the Solaris Timeline. All timelines feature Sonic 1 - 3&K. The Classic Sonic of the "Mania" or "Classic" timeline and Generations starts out as the past self of Modern Sonic, but forges a new future after Generations thus becoming a new entity.

It's also worth bringing up Sonic CD's good and bad futures. There's variations of these for every timeline, but the only important distinction is between the Solaris Timeline and everything else, as in all the other timelines they are identical. The only difference being in the Solaris Timeline, Solaris exists, whereas it doesn't in the others.

Sonic 4 is kinda a grey area, but the place it fits best as far as I can tell is on the Modern Timeline. This would mean the Solaris Timeline doesn't have a Sonic 4 (Or maybe it has Pocket Adventure), the Modern Timeline has Sonic 4, and the Classic Timeline has Mania instead.

Pretty much, yeah. Rush and Rivals take the place of 06 on the Modern Timeline, and don't happen on the Solaris Timeline. All timelines feature Sonic 1 - 3&K. The Classic Sonic of the "Mania" or "Classic" timeline and Generations starts out as the past self of Modern Sonic, but forges a new future after Generations thus becoming a new entity.

It's also worth bringing up Sonic CD's good and bad futures. There's variations of these for every timeline, but the only important distinction is between the Solaris Timeline and everything else, as in all the other timelines they are identical. The only difference being in the Solaris Timeline, Solaris exists, whereas it doesn't in the others.

Sonic 4 is kinda a grey area, but the place it fits best as far as I can tell is on the Modern Timeline. This would mean the Solaris Timeline doesn't have a Sonic 4 (Or maybe it has Pocket Adventure), the Modern Timeline has Sonic 4, and the Classic Timeline has Mania instead.
I got explanations for both

Little Planet - The Good Ending aka the Canon Ending requires all Good Futures. Doesn’t matter if it was by destroying Robot Generators or collecting Time Stones, they both result in a Good Future for all areas. Even then, Time Travel is self contained on Little Planet, so if Sonic were to leave it while in the Past, he would return to his planet at the same time he left it.

Sonic 4’s placement - It happens between 3&K and Adventure in both the Solaris and Modern Timelines. The Death Egg Robot retains a similar design and size when compared to the Sonic 2 DER whereas the DER in Generations has a much bigger and more complex design due to it being designed by Modern Eggman to be used by Classic Eggman. Metal Sonic also returns in Sonic 4 and is seen in Adventure and (I think it’s the same one, I need to read up on the Metal Sonic lore) returns for Heroes. Generations’ Metal Sonic is the one from Stardust Speedway’s Bad Future, implying that this is from a timeline that Sonic failed to save Little Planet and is completely destroyed at the end of his fight

Metal Sonic also returns in Sonic 4 and is seen in Adventure and (I think it’s the same one, I need to read up on the Metal Sonic lore) returns for Heroes. Generations’ Metal Sonic is the one from Stardust Speedway’s Bad Future, implying that this is from a timeline that Sonic failed to save Little Planet and is completely destroyed at the end of his fight
While I don't entirely believe it, I think it's interesting so I'll point it out. There's an old fan theory from a while back that Metal Sonic is actually Sonic from the Bad Future, fully converted into a robot. The Sonic you play as time travels to get there, whereas Metal Sonic is the native Sonic from that time. This also explains why Metal Sonic is so obsessed and adamant that he is the real Sonic, despite clearly being able to tell he's a robot. This would also be part of why it's the "bad" future; even Sonic has fallen to Eggman's schemes on this timeline.

The reason why I don't believe it is because while it does make a certain degree of sense, there's never actually any indication given that this is the case, and Eggman doesn't convert living things into robots in the games, only in SatAM and the old Archie comics. I think it's more likely Metal was created in the present and brought with Eggman to Little Planet to assist in his schemes.

Or Forces had such bad writing they had to use that lazy "alternate dimension" thing.
I agree, that was bad writing, but I didn’t use anything from Forces to support how time travel works other than Classic Sonic being able to jump back into the Modern Timeline, which is also exactly how it works in Endgame. The word “Dimension” could have easily been swapped out for “Timeline” and people would have understood it easier, even though they essentially mean the same thing

I agree, that was bad writing, but I didn’t use anything from Forces to support how time travel works other than Classic Sonic being able to jump back into the Modern Timeline, which is also exactly how it works in Endgame. The word “Dimension” could have easily been swapped out for “Timeline” and people would have understood it easier, even though they essentially mean the same thing
I think Sega should straight up stop with time travelling in their writing.

Just say that he's from the Classic dimension and call it a day.

I think Sega should straight up stop with time travelling in their writing.

Just say that he's from the Classic dimension and call it a day.
Which is explained through Time Travel lmao. It’s not that confusing if you just look at how time travel’s been presented in past games

Which is explained through Time Travel lmao. It’s not that confusing if you just look at how time travel’s been presented in past games
Dimensions doesn't always equal time travel.

Let's say that the Classic and Adventure era are just two completely separate timelines (as Adventure was some sort of soft reboot for the series).

And to be honest time travel should've only been self-contained like in Sonic CD rather than in the entire series.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back