AT LONG LAST, ITS HERE AND IT'S ACTUALLY A LITTLE BIT DIFFERENT
In celebration of
So I'm just gonna copypaste stuff from the original topic. Okay? Okay.
As Sonic the Hedgehog with Hemorrhoids, he is sent in a journey to do... something or other. I dunno, some guy says a thing and Sonic goes somewhere else and that's about all I can say without spoiling much. Let's just say this wad lives up to its name.
You arn't the normal SRB2 Sonic though; You're THE DREADED GREEN EYED ONE, and thus, are armed with the HORIFFIC ATTACK OF HOMING, and must use that to make your way through the path laid ahead of you. You are also slower than your older self due to the literal pain in your ass (probably), and also can't spindash to maximum speed.
But hey, you might as well take this slower speed as an excuse to smell the flowers, which are oddly generous this time out! There's tons of rings and powerups to find, all using sprites made by Blade (which shall appear in 2.1), and even the Fire Flower, with new sprites crafted by Iceman404, and slightly buffed. With more emphasis on flinging yourself to places for all sorts of goodies and secrets, as well as actually being a level that relies on a SPECIFIC character included to play, it makes for quite the adventure, however dumb.
Sonic Dumbventure's first volume finally makes its debut on the MB, Proudly holding the title of the greatest thing ever released in the Official Level Design Contests' Single Player division, with an amazing average score of 9.58, despite mostly being made up of several incomplete scrap levels I never released! Literally the best: Dumbventure. Yeah, Literally THE BEST. Okay, I'm probably wrong about it being THE BEST, but how many opportunities do YOU get to say that about something you made? None? EXACTLY.
"Now that's-a crockload-a SHIT if I ever herd one!", I hear you utter. "There's no WAY you could-a got'n such prestigue! You musta' used sum kinda eeeeeevil wizurd majik to get such a score! BLUDDY WIZZERD!" Well, while you can't seem to choose an accent and are probably out of character, A quick skim here will clearly show you the way! "I HAVE SEEN THE LIGHT IN WHAT I ONCE THOUGHT WAS DARKNESS!", you state, "I HAVE NO IDEA HOW I COULD HAVE EVER DOUBTED YOU, OH LORD AND SAVIOR, D00D64!" Oh but I am a humble man that does not deserve such praise, I shall take it anyway!
Released here for the sake of letting people know this actually exists, since the wiki no longer has a leaderboard (which Blade never reached the top of, bugging him immensely, which I will commence mocking him for now: HA HA HA, YOU DIDN'T REACH THE TOP, AND I OF ALL PEOPLE DID, HA HA HA *HOBOLURGARTH*), now you too can finally know this is an awesome thing you should have played a long time ago! However, since this is the original release, this release is blemished by a few issues that I have yet to resolve and are too lazy to do so ("ITS ALWAYS SOMETHING [tm]). I also haven't prepared any extras of any sort yet either. However, if I make an updated release, it will be within here.
I'd describe SoDum, but I'd rather not spoil it for the Dumbvirgins. I also didn't upload screenshots for the other chunks of the level for the same reason. However, I made some commentary in the voting topic this was in. If you want to see it without going there, here it is!
Well, despite the fact that, at any given moment, something is wrong (hence "ITS ALWAYS SOMETHING [tm]"), I can say...
I'm proud of this wad. It’s a bit of everything I could hope for. It allowed me to use concepts that'd never see the light of day otherwise. It taught me many things in both mapmaking and soccing. I was able to do things I never thought were even possible in SRB2. I've son several things that have never been done in SRB2 at all, for that matter. As I worked, I made refinements constantly. A tweak here, a tweak there... it all built up. I went from a small concept room about two months ago, and turned it into something SRB2 never had before. And regardless of what I score in the OLDC, I will still proud of what I've done, as I am now. A wad about a blue hedgehog going to beat the shit out of a gorilla-headed sea monster.
Anyways, the level is divided into SubZones. These arn't mentioned in game (they were but they have been removed), but I will list theme here to help you guys out when reviewing specific locations.
- Subzone 1: The front Door (First checkpoint)
- Subzone 2: Dark Vat Temple (Check 2)
- Subzone 3: Valkyrie Cliff (Check 3)
- Subzone 4: Thunder Fortress (Check 4)
- Subzone 5: Corrupted Donkey Kong Land (Game Boy teleport)
- Subzone 6: Cosmic Casino Zone (Check 5)
- Subzone 7: Leaf Forest Zone (Check 6)
- Subzone 8: Big Ape City Factory (Check 7)
Also, some of these areas and should seem familiar...
Valkyrie Peak is actually that one level I teased months ago. I asked about a name but never picked one. Cosmic Casino Zone is the remains of Sonic Pallete, my 2D level that had the 8-bit graphics and the walljumping Sonic. Leaf Forest is the remains of a ZDoom mod I made called SAUZA (Sonic AIDS: Up Z Ass), a mod based of this awful and awfully offensive comic I made.
As for the main villan... Well, some of you may know him. I thought of him on some random thought and he kinda stuck in my mind, waiting for his chance. He's the main mascot of SoniMoc, a series of videos I worked on. He also made a cameo in Chaos Domain by KOTE.
If there's one thing I wanted to emphasize in this mod, its hunting for secrets. There are tons of monitors hidden around, including a Fire Flower monitor! Scout around, you wont go unrewarded!
I have scattered the 7 Chaos Emeralds across the map. One is in each subzone, except the 8th and the 4th. One subzone has two emmys instead. I can't seem to get the saving to work, but getting them all will reveal a powerup you can at least use for the final battle. If you need help finding them, here are the locations...
- Green: The Front Door - From the red block, go left. You'll be able to get to the top of the cliff via a spring.
- Orange: Dark Vat Temple - from the first path of rings in the cave, go left, and climb to where there is a lone monitor on a ledge (the Fire Flower). Walk behind the pillar for the emmy.
- Gold: Valkyrie Cliff - From the whirlwind shield, go to the distant cliff via the trees (to the right of the main path), and you will find it under a connected duo of trees.
- Blue: Valkyrie Cliff - From the whirlwind shield, go back up to where the lavender temple with the checkpoint on it is, and go atop one of its pillars. From there, whirlwind shield onto a nearby cliff. Scout around for springs, and you'll make it to the top of the cliff, where the emerald is waiting.
- Silver: Corrupted Donkey Kong Land - Right above the enterence. Bounce off the trees to reach it.
- Lavender: Cosmic Casino - Above the first barrel. Make your way atop the building via the main path to reach it. Look out below!
- Red: Leaf Forest Zone - From the first visable 10 ring box, just go straight for the checkered wall to the right. You'll land on it, from which you can go right to find the Red emerald floating above a 10 ring box.
There are also a few easter eggs to find. You probably wont ever find out some of these on your own, so...
- At the start of the map, push escape before the timer hits 5. Then, wait about 25 seconds. a hidden song will play. This was based off a request.
- Noclip in the starting area and head right. You'll head into the devroom, allowing you to teleport anywhere, including two cut areas...
- Push UglyKnux off his invisible platform. You know, if you havent done so already, if you're a dick.
- This is useless, but in cutscenes, you can spin Sonic around and shoot fireballs if you have the Fire Flower. Perhaps this will come into play in Volume 2?
- Play in coop/splitscreen/match/ctf/race, and you may get a rather interesting surprise...
- "runsoc BOSSHOG". Just do it. I dare you.
Yeah, I know I dumped a lot on you guys, but I just HAD to elaborate on this. This is my most extensive project yet, doing several of new things SRB2 has never seen before! But I also like to give some special thanks to my friends on #srb2fun, especially Monster Iestyn for his help on SOCs and making the UglyKnux statue, SpiritCrusher for pointing out flaws in my map and the baws, and Prime 2 for constantly finding things wrong/to do (ITS ALWAYS SOMETHING[tm]) as well as help with some SOCs and level mechanics. Not that they're the only people that helped, mind you! I may have been stubborn at times or on the virge of giving up, but I dunno if Dumbventure would be good at all without help from #'fun!
As you can see, very inportant to me, so I hope it does well!
Now, with that out of the way, let's talk about the new stuff!
- Actually works in 2.1. Yeah, I know!
- New cutscene sysem! Use Jump to progress though text, and hold Spin to fast forward.
- Cutscenes can be disabled at the start.
- Record Attack! There's no rewards (yet), but there's still emblems to get!
- Emblems stay saved to the file now!
You can all thank RedEnchilada for like, 98% of the work that went into porting it, including the cutscene system, so blame him!