• Do not use Works in Progress as a way of avoiding the releases system! Works in Progress can be used for sharing early betas and for getting suggestions for improvement. Releases of finished content are not allowed in this forum! If you would like to submit a finished addon, click here for instructions on how to do so.

sonic battle-stages.wad

is this a good wad

• yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • kinda

• no

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Compared to your first maps there are improvements:
- not SO cramped anymore
- less objects
- you tried to put in scenery

But there are still some things you should work on:
- The thok-barrier is still missing... You should really improve this. Instead of putting a sector with impassible linedeffs inside another sector you should put one around your sector with the same floor height and the same ceiling height. The ceiling texture has to be:
F_SKY1
Just write it into the text box of the ceiling texture...
- The sky! You just used the linedeff-textures, but a normal looking sky can only work together with a thok-barrier.
- The size. All maps are a little small. You can run around them with sonic in 10 seconds or less!
- The structure. All maps are very flat. There are only 2 floor-levels and still there is not much to see... You must have a little concept for your map in your mind before you start and you have to put in more ideas. :wink:
- No special weapons... It would be more fun to have one or two special weapons to use in each map. Those should be placed carefully and might be hidden or difficult to get, so that not everybody is able to have it at the same time.

I hope this criticismwill help you... :)

Oh yeah, to add to that... fofs and linedef executes are the second most important aspect of mapping. Without them, your maps won't succeed.

I'm so excited. I haved plaied the game Sonic Battle before but now for SRB2. Yay. :D *downloads* I'll judge it later.

Edit (about 24 hours later): You forgot to mention Battle Highway was in this beta. Also, can you put the offical Sonic Battle music in these levels?

Morph said:
Compared to your first maps there are improvements:
- not SO cramped anymore
- less objects
- you tried to put in scenery

But there are still some things you should work on:
- The thok-barrier is still missing... You should really improve this. Instead of putting a sector with impassible linedeffs inside another sector you should put one around your sector with the same floor geight and the same ceiling height. The ceiling texture has to be:
F_SKY1
Just write it into the text box of the ceiling texture...
- The sky! You just used the linedeff-textures, but a normal looking sky can only work together with a thok-barrier.
- The size. All maps are a little small. You can run around them with sonic in 10 seconds or less!
- The structure. All maps are very flat. There are only 2 floor-levels and still there is not much to see... You must have a little concept for your map in your mind before you start and you have to put in more ideas. :wink:
- No special weapons... It would be more fun to have one or two special weapons to use in each map. Those should be placed carefully and might be hidden or difficult to get, so that not everybody is able to have it at the same time.

I hope this criticismwill help you... :)

It helps and I'll answer some questions:
1.) Theres not many rasied sectors because I was trying to make it look like the sonic battle levels.
2.) I took away the special rings because zash said it was cheap to have them in such a small level.

Not even the contest entry was this small, or inaccurate for that matter. (december 04 contest)

glaber said:
If I recall, This level was once done in a contest.
if i recall, i already made a mod of this in a topic in editing somewere, called Sonic Battle Mod, with the maps, Green Hill, beach side hill, and this other level i can't remeber the name of

Meh, I'm not so sure about this wad. Sure, Sonic Battle levels are cool. But rather than mimic them, why not BASE them on said levels. Like Battle Highway. Make it look like Battle Highway would were it an actual 3D Level (Action Stage Lawl) in a Sonic game.

Just because we don't like it doesn't mean you should stop. Hell, look at my level. Most people hate it. But I don't stop. Plus, I was just pointing out you shouldn't make them LOOK EXACTLY like Sonic Battle. You need a different sight for this mod. Elsewise, we could just buy a GBA and Sonic Battle and be sasitistfied with our lives.

I fixed up the first level for you.

-made the water real water
-fix your skys

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Back