Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Pathethic, forgot it

• Do you want to be killed, Sik?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
No, it's too late already... :( Try to find a server to put the video, better. Oh, talking about the video: did you tried splitting the file?

EvilCowSlayer said:
Sorry about the beta thing.....
Tails92 must say it... I gave him it only for test if he can port the game, not for release a beta, and he started to distribute it... :(

Sik said:
EvilCowSlayer said:
Tails92 must say it... I gave him it only for test if he can port the game, not for release a beta, and he started to distribute it... :(
My fault too, for placing the Windows version up after he told me he was gonna put up a public Linux beta.

Edit: And UploadHut is slow, becuase my bandwidth is being eaten by another program. So I'll have the vid up sometime tomorrow.... not like it'll matter much now.....

Sik said:
EvilCowSlayer said:

What is the reason for not distributing it?
CDIV is GPL, and standing at the GPL we cannot release Sonic Action without sources, so I thinked there was no reason for keeping it secret.
Release Sonic Action under an open source license, if not it will be illegal (you cannot link a GPL lib or program if you don't give the sources under an OSD compliant license).
Sorry, but it's true.

tails92 said:
My brother (kingknux) got 19,26 seconds on Green Hill
Seems the record! 8)
Well, he have beaten the God Challenge that I asked to Shadow Hog and Shuffle. I still have the record, however. And how do you see EXACTLY the time? It's impossible, because it isn't shown anymore when you finish the level. Yeah, my record is 19" too, but I'm not sure what is this exactly, and you can't check it in my actual version yet. I think it's a tie.

And, returning to the previous thing, you can't distribute it because I wanted to do this when the third level was finished. That beta was only for the avatar-editing contest winners!!!

However, what will happen if I said that it's freeware? It don't need necessarily to be open source for be free.

Sik said:
And, returning to the previous thing, you can't distribute it because I wanted to do this when the third level was finished. That beta was only for the avatar-editing contest winners!!!

No copyright notice in it.

Sik said:
However, what will happen if I said that it's freeware? It don't need necessarily to be open source for be free.

You used CDIV that is GPL. You link your program with it. GPL says that you cannot link it with proprietary software . You must give the sources and freedom to do with them whetever you want.

You want a small OSD compliant license?
It's here:

"
Sonic Action is (C) 2005 Sik
Permission is hereby granted to modify, redistribute and sell the game (we are talking of the sources, not the data).
However, you cannot sub-license the game, i.e. also the modifications that you make to this game must be under this license"

With that, you release the sources, but you'll have also the changes back (they cannot close them! They must also release them)
Otherwise, expect to be sued from someone that claims the copyright of CDIV

The copyright notices will appear in the beta that I was planning to release. That beta doesn't contain the copyright information because it IS NOT supposed to be public. That's all.

And however, the license of CDiv says that you can do anything with the programs made with it, commercial or non-commercial. CDiv is actually only a syntax change of C++, nothing more. The open source things of CDiv means for modifications of it, not for the games made with it. You can do anything with CDiv and don't mention it. It's legal, the license allows you. The thing that you said is like that I must pay a license for use Allegro or C++ :P The CDiv's license doesn't apply on the games made with it. The license by itself says it.

Actually, I think that the only copyright issues are with Sega (I'm using their character, hey :P) and the people to give credit for the sprites / MIDIs sources. And they'll appear in the three-levels beta, inside the readme.

However, I still can make a custom license for Sonic Action. Allegro has one, so why can't I have one? ;)

I've tried to make a patch for Sonic Action to use MODs instead of MIDIs, but whenever I started Sonic Action, it crashed. Seems that CDIV doesn't like the presence of JGMOD.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back