• Pathethic, forgot it

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Do you want to be killed, Sik?

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sik

Sonic Action is the first SRB2 Town (indirectly) related game. Shadow Hog and Shuffle (the winners of the stupid avatar-editing contest) already have seen a first beta of the game.

The first official beta will appear when 3 levels (a zone, and no, Shadow Hog and Shuffle, I don't mean "Green Hill 1", "Green Hill 2" and "Green Hill 3", remember that) are completed. But while, you have some screenshots at my page (I'll not say the URL of my page because it's breakruling, specially when it's easy to find when you search properly at my data in the board). Check them and said me what do you think about them...

PS: now a lot of visitors will access to my page... Sonic Vegemite will include a link to my page in the next update, and it isn't a joke, so... ;)

EDIT: missing option added to the poll.

It was an ALPHA, Pre-Alpha at that, but what I'd played was pretty good. Gravity needs work (too light, and it should also become very heavy if you're mid-jump, heading upward, without holding the jump button; that's just standard since, like, Mario).

Seriously, though, don't toss around "Beta" until the majority of the game is done... engine tests are more alphas, if anything.

Change the gravity is question of change a single number. The same applies to speed, but I don't want to get Sonic slower.

However, I don't understand the thing about that the gravity becomes very heavy when you're mid-jump and heading upward. Be more specific and explain me what and how happens. NOTE: if you're talking about when you jump from ramps, I already know that bug, apparently (I'm not sure) Sonic can't abandon the floor and a lot of jumps (and speed) is accumulated (a lot of jump SFXs are heard too). I don't know how to fix it yet.

Sik, the sources of Sonic Action you gave to me compiles, but when I start the game it quits with "Segmentation Fault"
Maybe you can consider to resend me a newer version (with the data in the correct directories)?

This is what I mean:
  • * Player hits "jump".
    * Sonic begins to jump at his normal, full height.
    * The player RELEASES "jump".
    * Sonic has still not reached the top of his jump, so his downward acceleration increases.
    ** Alternatively, he just stops going up, period.
    * Sonic reaches the top of his jump, which is lower because the button was not held.
    * Sonic's acceleration toward the ground returns to normal.
Otherwise, he'd jump at full-height EVERY time, and that doesn't really happen anymore.

tails92 said:
Sik, the sources of Sonic Action you gave to me compiles, but when I start the game it quits with "Segmentation Fault"
Maybe you can consider to resend me a newer version (with the data in the correct directories)?
Did you corrected the filenames? As far as I know, when you port to Linux, the filenames changes because it's system for define paths is different to the Windows ones. Check this, because I used / instead of \, but you don't know, and the default directory is not the same, I think (I read somewhere in Allegro help that Linux is a variant of Unix).

And Shadow Hog, I was never able to do the thing that you say. Really. And the game only checks the spacebar when Sonic is on the floor. If the double jump was implemented, well, it's possible because the detection system changes, but now... Really, the game doesn't check for the spacebar when Sonic isn't on the floor, which is needed for recreate that bug that you say. Really.

Sik said:
Did you corrected the filenames? As far as I know, when you port to Linux, the filenames changes because it's system for define paths is different to the Windows ones. Check this, because I used / instead of \, but you don't know, and the default directory is not the same, I think (I read somewhere in Allegro help that Linux is a variant of Unix).

I gave it try, but... only the title screen worked (with no music and glitchy sound). Others (Start game and Exit) always gave Segmentation Fault. I corrected all the file names and it still doesn't works. :(
Sorry
P.S: This if I use g++-2.95. If use a newer g++ even the title screen doesn't work!

Seriously, as far as I know, when the game crashes is because it tries to use a bitmap which is not loaded (it doesn't do it when a music or sound is missing). Check that all the images which are loaded in the game are present in the folders. Remember that Windows is the only OS which isn't capital sensible (in Windows ABC is the same as abc, in Linux it isn't).

OK, finally it works :mrgreen:. I didn't use load_pcx() because the background it's not always a PCX (actually, when a bitmap is a PCX, is because it's 256 colors). It's for quick updating, but if you need to replace them, then replace them, because I edit the Windows version only. ;)

However, I noticed that the game runs at windowed mode. Can you get it to run at full screen or just it doesn't work in full screen in your system? I say in your system because if the game can't use the mode 640×480×16 (640×480 at 16-bits, NOT 15-bits, which is old however for the actual cards, well, my P1 had 16-bits already, so...), then it runs in windowed mode (well, Allegro works like this).

If you can't get it in full screen, however, don't worry, it's only a minor detail. ;)

I discovered three bugs:
The first is so hilarious (this happens only with Allegro 4.2.0-beta4):
sometimes you jump as if you did from a spring, and if you touch a slope, the slope will act as a spring
The second:
Sometimes when you are on a slope and you are hit, you don't lose the rings!
The thirth:
Sonic Action can only be compiled with g++ version 2.95.3 or it will freeze.

1st bug: 4.2.0 is an unestable version yet. Sonic Action uses the last stable version, 4.0.3. However, I don't know how can it affect to the engine, because it's completely independent of Allegro (actually, Allegro is only an I/O library for the game).

2nd bug: this isn't a bug. You just touch the floor in the same frame when you lose the rings, so you get the rings. Is more: if you see carefully, if you have more than 16 rings, you'll have 16 rings now. It's because it's the maximum of lost rings created (I can't lose more memory and speed if you lose, i.e., 100 rings). It's just a coincidence.

3rd bug: Allegro incompatibility issues. However, I can't consider this a bug because it's supposed to be not visible to the final user. Continue using G++ 2.95.3.

PS: I already replaced all the load_bitmap() with load_bmp(), except that one which is load_pcx().

Guess what: in that part something is wrong. It's not a floating plataform, it have earth filling below it. Yeah, I checked the coordinates, they're at the top right in debug mode.

Check it.

When I clicked that picture, I got a popup that said 'Dunk the President! Get an XBox 360!!!"
That scares me... Greatly...
Aw, well...

I got two bizzare bugs when I loaded this up in SuSe Linux. Here's the first one.

sonicactionbug.png

It stayed like that, and I couldn't move left, right, or jump. I couldn't only look up or duck.

That happened to me while logged in as root. I later tried it while logged in as a normal user, and the game worked fine, without this problem.

Next bug: Jumping off a slope sometimes causes Sonic to rocket in one direction. You also hear multiple jump sounds at the same time. I jumped off the first downslope of the level, and Sonic rocketed to the right at a low trajectory. This didn't always happen, though.

Edit: I would also like to mention that when logged in as root, the game appeared in the lower right, while as a normal user, appeared in the lower left.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Back