• Do not use Works in Progress as a way of avoiding the releases system! Works in Progress can be used for sharing early betas and for getting suggestions for improvement. Releases of finished content are not allowed in this forum! If you would like to submit a finished addon, click here for instructions on how to do so.

Shut Up and Get On It - That DUMP Ripoff

Status
Not open for further replies.
Isn't the angle of the starpost suppose to represent the order it goes in? If you turn it around, I don't think it will be in a correct order. (Then again I probably don't know what I'm talking about since the last time I messed with starposts was with starpost activators.)
you are partially correct. The angel does determine it, but in increments of 360, and in each increment you can increase or decrease the angel to have it spawn the player in any direction.

It took a while getting to everyones maps because of me liking to play something, play it again, gather my thoughts, and then play it a little more. I had to anyways, on account of needing to compile it together and make sure I didn't horribly mess someone/everyone's maps up in the process. Anyways...

[spoiler="Retro Hill Zone 1" by Maximus Universal]A simple little 2D level that makes a good starting level (funnily enough, since you submitted first* you actually got the MAP01 slot). Doesn't take too long, and the transition into Marble Zone is cute. I think it has a couple of empty stretches that need a little more to do, mainly towards the end. I also echo all of FuriousFox's compliants of non-floating rings, water needing a colormap, and the floating grass edges at the end. Still very nice, though.

*originally, at least :p[/spoiler]

[spoiler="Mine Maze Zone" by RominoTheBadass]First off, where'd you and Glaber get the Drilla? It's odd that you both managed to have a Drilla, but it's even odder that you both have an exactly identical Drilla, with the same code/spelling intricacies and everything.

This map's difficulty is a little weird. At first, it seems really tough because of the abundance of traps like instakill pits, instakill crushers, tiny platforms over instakill pits, and rocks falling over instakill pits. Once you replay it though, it gets really easy; it's mostly trial and error. The "only three rings in the whole map" gimmick, in theory, would make it harder, but in practice only makes it easier to get a perfect bonus.

Personally, I would try making all of the platforms wider, put three rings next to every checkpoint to have the same "spirit" of the original idea but not make a perfect bonus too easy, and add "NoReload = true" so that you can backtrack if you die.

Here's a couple of small nitpicks and bugs I noticed:
http://puu.sh/qbwiL/2807e7ad2e.png
This tunnel is weirdly high up and the end of it is blocked off if you forget to press the switch, forcing you to drown. I'd suggest to use zoom-tubes instead of speed pads inside it, too.
http://puu.sh/qbwko/4367c5d984.png
Also, this looks like something you're supposed to go down. Get rid of that pit; it's entirely pointless.

Still, I can tell you put a lot of heart and effort into this. Keep at it![/spoiler]

[spoiler="Concrete Jungle Zone" by a guy]This one's really greato! The city theme is really great here, probably one of the best use of DCZ textures I've seen in a while. Short and sweet is what I was hoping for people to aim for with their maps, and you've nailed it!

Probably the weakest part is the alternate path to the right at the beginning. It's hard to see in (even though the colormap IS pretty) and is too cramped to really do much with. With it feeling sloggier than the main route, I have a feeling most people will probably skip it; might be best to remake or omit it?

All I gotta say more is more along the lines of nitpicks:
http://puu.sh/qbwgR/203d5d6651.png
Near the turret at the beginning is this small little empty crevice. It's a little odd, maybe put a ring monitor or two to reward the player for exploring? Speaking of the turret, it might be nice to add a way to destroy it so that its charge-up sound effect isn't heard throughout the map when you're past it.

http://puu.sh/qbXkn/980a8d2437.png
Over here, you can jump directly onto the platform to the left. Since it skips a good chunk of the level right there, maybe it'd be best to raise it up a little bit.

Really nice job though; keep it up~!![/spoiler]

[spoiler="Skytop Zone" by Glaber]First off, copy+pasting what I asked earlier about where'd you and Romino get the Drilla? It's odd that you both managed to have a Drilla, but it's even odder that you both have an exactly identical Drilla, with the same code/spelling intracacies and everything.

A pretty simple level; doesn't do much new, but it's got it's moments. I like stuff like the raising climb area (even if it's a little on the slow side), and the secret path. I do think there's too many moving platforms/polyobjects that kinda slow down gameplay where there could simply be a spring. It is a little drab on the eyes too; bigger, more contrast heavy walls for the outer rim could help, as well as more patterns for walls.[/spoiler]

[spoiler="Contaminated Water Zone" by MK.exe]Another short but neat level! The visuals, while rough around the edges, is kinda charming and I like the use of your gimmick; its kind of a balancing act. The first half is gathering as many rings as possible to last as long as you can in the second half, I find that pretty cool! I'd say the Sharps are usually pretty haphazardly placed, and some of the rings being in the ring-drain water in the first half is teasing maybe a bit too hard. Still though, I really enjoyed it.[/spoiler]

[spoiler="Robotnik Laboratory Zone" by ManimiFire]Alright, first off, the level starts off in a completely red colormapped room where a Rail Buzz snipes you while you try to get your bearings. It's best to give the player a bit of breathing room before you send enemies their way, let alone a new enemy. There isn't a lot of direction given in this room either; you just kind of stumble into the teleport. Speaking of which, try to connect more of the map together instead of teleporting the player all of the time, it messes with the flow of the map a lot. The parts you do have connected usually loop back around to each other, like springs that look like they are directing someone to the next part of the level except they actually lead to an earlier part of the level. (http://puu.sh/qbwoN/06486d0f8a.png)

http://puu.sh/qbwnd/a2ec51a8c5.png
This part is really bad about telling what the player should do. The switches around here look like they are meant to be pressed, but they're essentially red herrings. For anyone still stumped on it (I've heard some people in #sugoi still unsure of what's supposed to happen there), you're actually supposed to jump in the steam jet on the screenshot, and then into the slime where you go through a transparent wall. This took me forever to figure out, and only after I essentially cheated and replayed the map as Tails to swim into the slime.

http://puu.sh/qbws8/c492936fd6.png
This section is kind of tedious as anyone without an ability that lets them fly; you might want to cut this part down a lot.

http://puu.sh/qbwpW/4880ff3ee4.png
This part looks like a dead end until you get really close up to it; I'd say try getting rid of the collasping platform here, and make the hole here much wider.

Don't give up, though! Next time you decide to map, maybe you should start with something with a different, more simple theme?[/spoiler]

[spoiler="Aquatic Corridors Zone 1" by *icefox*avp*]This one's cool; it's a kind of level I'm not used to seeing. While there is danger with the Aqua Buzzes and Mines everywhere, it felt oddly peaceful to move through. The water physics and the multitude of Elemental Shields removed the danger, which here I don't actually think is a bad thing. It felt like an slow peaceful exploration, rather than your typical fast paced level.

http://puu.sh/qbwtb/72163ead92.png
This room could use some better direction, though. My first instinct is to continue forward, but that loops you back around. Second instinct is to go to the right, since my eye is drawn there. The actual correct path is the left, which I can't help but feel being a little misguiding. Maybe point these bridges both towards the cave on the left/slope them downwards, and put a checkpoint in there? Also, even though I just praised it now, I do think you do go a little bit overboard with the Elemental Shields, and I think some of the Mines are clustered together a bit too much. Still, I really must applaud your different approach to the level.[/spoiler]

[spoiler="Robotnik Park Zone" by FuriousFox]So far, I'm loving it! The theme you have is awesome and well executed. Take everything I say with a grain of salt (no pun intended), but it seems kind of difficult to get out of the bouncy castle as Sonic, and the bouncy castle might benefit from different textures, but I'm really liking your usage of bumpers and balloons, and the execution of everything so far. I really hope you can finish it![/spoiler]

[spoiler="Kodachrome Void Zone" by Boinciel]I like it! The abstract theme, and using it to make simple platforming actually difficult is genius. It gets brutal at that inverting/reverting pyramid platforming room, but you manage to tone it down with the easy but still really mean "flying sharp" room towards the end which I think is a good design decision.[/spoiler]

Lastly, on an unrelated note: oh god the "Supporters/CoAuthors" part of the SUGOI release page is gonna beat SBAHJ at this rate except it'll actually be serious.

Last edited:
[spoiler="Aquatic Corridors Zone 1" by *icefox*avp*]This one's cool; it's a kind of level I'm not used to seeing. While there is danger with the Aqua Buzzes and Mines everywhere, it felt oddly peaceful to move through. The water physics and the multitude of Elemental Shields removed the danger, which here I don't actually think is a bad thing. It felt like an slow peaceful exploration, rather than your typical fast paced level.

http://puu.sh/qbwtb/72163ead92.png
This room could use some better direction, though. My first instinct is to continue forward, but that loops you back around. Second instinct is to go to the right, since my eye is drawn there. The actual correct path is the left, which I can't help but feel being a little misguiding. Maybe point these bridges both towards the cave on the left/slope them downwards, and put a checkpoint in there? Also, even though I just praised it now, I do think you do go a little bit overboard with the Elemental Shields, and I think some of the Mines are clustered together a bit too much. Still, I really must applaud your different approach to the level.[/spoiler]

Thank you very much for the review! Sadly, no one noticed knuckles's path and I forgot to fix the colormap there. :C

Fixed the problems:

I fixed the problems, here's the update:

Code:
Download: -Attached-
Title: ROBOTNIK LABRATROY ZONE
Credits:Map by me, song from "FINAL EGG" (Sonic Adventure), and also credit to Strike for made me new sprites for this level.
Maintainer Notes: Playable in Software mod, I didn't test it in OpenGL mod too...

Attachments

• RobotnikLabratory.rar
    901.2 KB · Views: 113
Sorry

Here the second update after the first:

Attachments

• RobotnikLabratory.rar
    905.9 KB · Views: 131
Last edited:
I guess Romino and I both got the Drilla From SRB2 the Past. I'm actually not too surprised as I did mark the mod as reusable content. My use of this Drilla though is mostly place holder for a new version that still needs sprites. (See attachment for replacement candidate)

Also is this any better for a contrast texture? (old one was more faded looking)
srb20186_1.png

(I still got the old one and I'm starting to feel like maybe I should mix them in use)

Attachments

• drillaa1.PNG
    drillaa1.PNG
    1.1 KB · Views: 942
Last edited:
Hmm, I think the attached sprite of drilla looks very amazing, maybe you should make him bigger badnik with bigger sprite like this...

Hilltop Hunt Zone Release

DUN DUN, DUUUUNN
yG9ZjiL.png

Presenting a 2-3 minute Emerald hunting map!

Code:
Download: [URL="http://mb.srb2.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=8565&stc=1&d=1469305242"]Link[/URL]
Title: Hilltop Hunt Zone
Credits: Me, for making the map.
The box textures were imported from the Heroes mod by STHE1230.

Maintainer Notes: Playable in Software mode, Is fine in OpenGL.

Also, due to the way the box gimmick is set up, you have to spin
on top of the monitors to pop them, as they're stuck underground.

Attachments

• s_HHZ_Sugoi.zip
    54.1 KB · Views: 176
Last edited:
I'm actually not too surprised as I did mark the mod as reusable content.

I Think i actually gave credits in OBJCTCFG File, R .. Right ?

EDIT : Anyways, TehRealSalt I adressed most of the Issues you mentioned, Same link in Previous post .

Last edited:
I have a question, when you (TheRealSalt) will put our levels on a level pack, you will put the data of the enemies of the levels in one mixed MAINCFG, right?, and same as the the custom musics and the custom sprites and graphics...

Sort of. A "SOC_LVxx" file is going to contain anything SOC related (objects and states, basically) for each level for organizational purposes, with xx being the map number* it is in the final version. Everything else is being put together in MAINCFG. Either way, yes everything is being put together.

(*Map order is determined by order of submission, with the exception of the hub/boss/secret maps. Note that this means the hub probably won't be organized by difficulty)

Last edited:
New Icon
skytopicon.png

Code:
Download: [URL]https://www.dropbox.com/s/l6g01jka3wwuquk/Skytop.zip?dl=0[/URL] 
Title: Sky Top Zone Credits: Myself for the Level, SSN Tails for Drilla's Current Sprites,  
Music From Jazz Jackrabbit 2 online (Website) by Necros of the Psychic Monks
Maintainer Notes: I'd like this level to have emblems players can find located on it.
Updated the map, no change to the link though as this time it didn't break.

I guess Romino and I both got the Drilla From SRB2 the Past. I'm actually not too surprised as I did mark the mod as reusable content. My use of this Drilla though is mostly place holder for a new version that still needs sprites. (See attachment for replacement candidate)

Also is this any better for a contrast texture? (old one was more faded looking)
srb20186_1.png

(I still got the old one and I'm starting to feel like maybe I should mix them in use)

Actually that does look a lot better, but I still think you should consider adding one or two other wall textures, probably green or dark blue to fit your landscape. You could also try incorporating waterfalls into your design to break up the walls more.

Basically it's all about color distribution. Right now your level looks better not just because of the wall texture but also because your wall heights are broken up and they let the sky in. The trees on the higher ground also cut up the action with bits of green.

Last edited:
(*Map order is determined by order of submission, with the exception of the hub/boss/secret maps. Note that this means the hub probably won't be organized by difficulty)
But why? Wouldn't it be a better experience to organize by difficulty? This is something only you can do, as the compiler, and I doubt anyone playing will complain...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back