• Do not use Works in Progress as a way of avoiding the releases system! Works in Progress can be used for sharing early betas and for getting suggestions for improvement. Releases of finished content are not allowed in this forum! If you would like to submit a finished addon, click here for instructions on how to do so.

Shut Up and Get On It - That DUMP Ripoff

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here, I changed the destination of the first "Laser Buzz"

Attachments

• sc_robotniklabratory.rar
    5.3 MB · Views: 124
View attachment 8657
View attachment 8658
It's a long shot, but dispite being unable to actively edit the level myself, it won't stop me from at least trying to submit something that I would consider decent by my standards

srb20248.gif

Both the floor and the ceiling of the thok barrier need to be the same
srb20247.gif

2D mode misalignment
srb20249.gif

Another 2D mode misalignment
srb20250.gif

???

Last edited:
Also, wasn't that map created far before SUGOI started? As far as I know, SUGOI is meant as a collab to get people on a creative mood and make new maps, not just get whatever levels you have lying around on your folder and shove it in for the sake of being part of the collab.

I don't know if it was, but it needs the sky fixed.

---------- Post added at 11:44 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:39 PM ----------

Here, I changed the destination of the first "Laser Buzz"
The pit room? That's like a bad spot for the Rail Buzz. It's not the first room at least, but still, you have a check point in that room. You should not want your players instantly or near instantly killed as soon as they spawn

also about act 2, did you actualy beat the boss here? because its difficulty is like a 8 or 9 while act 1 is more like a 3 or 4.

Last edited:
I don't know if it was, but it needs the sky fixed.

---------- Post added at 11:44 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:39 PM ----------

The pit room? That's like a bad spot for the Rail Buzz. It's not the first room at least, but still, you have a check point in that room. You should not want your players instantly or near instantly killed as soon as they spawn

also about act 2, did you actualy beat the boss here? because its difficulty is like a 8 or 9 while act 1 is more like a 3 or 4.

As you know, I tried my best as moving the "Lazer Buzz" again, and now I moved him to the city room near the large room inside, and another "Lazer Buzz" to the room near the elevator. And don't worry, there is no "Lazer Buzz" near any spawn point now...

For act 2, I made slopes if you falling to the lava, you can go up on the slopes back to the arena...

Attachments

• sc_robotniklabratory.rar
    5.3 MB · Views: 120
@Manimi:
I played your level.
So, first thing, there is a typo in the level name, it's Robotnik LABORATORY, and not Labratory.
Onto the level itself, it's not so bad, really.
Its only problems are these "WANTED" signs, they look bad, no offence, and as toaster stated, there are very tight corridors that are really tedious to navigate through, and also the... rail throwing buzz thing that is above the player and can snipe them without the player being able to fight back. I also saw a moving floor that has no purpose in this Buzz's room, so you might want to check it out.
Other than that, it's pretty solid compared to your older versions of the level!

Now the boss... uh... it's bad. I don't get why we start with a space countdown as it seems completely unecessary, secondly, the boss itself is pretty unappealing, it's just an EggMobile reskin that can make you fly through the WHOLE ROOM because it has low gravity, and it's not really fun, TBH.

@Manimi:
I played your level.
So, first thing, there is a typo in the level name, it's Robotnik LABORATORY, and not Labratory.
Onto the level itself, it's not so bad, really.
Its only problems are these "WANTED" signs, they look bad, no offence, and as toaster stated, there are very tight corridors that are really tedious to navigate through, and also the... rail throwing buzz thing that is above the player and can snipe them without the player being able to fight back. I also saw a moving floor that has no purpose in this Buzz's room, so you might want to check it out.
Other than that, it's pretty solid compared to your older versions of the level!

Now the boss... uh... it's bad. I don't get why we start with a space countdown as it seems completely unecessary, secondly, the boss itself is pretty unappealing, it's just an EggMobile reskin that can make you fly through the WHOLE ROOM because it has low gravity, and it's not really fun, TBH.

Ok, I removed all the signs of "WANTED", removed the moving floor in the Buzz's room. (If I know "which" buzz's room you meant for...)

About act 2, I changed the boss' sprites to the sprites I got from "ManimisDSEnemies.wad", I did normal gravity at the arena, I did with no space cooldown... and the boss has little changed with his attacks... But whatever, now he fine.

Oh yeah, and I changed the name of the whole zone to: "Robotnik Laboratory"

Attachments

• sc_robotniklaboratory.rar
    5.5 MB · Views: 130
These are always exhausting to write; especially since there were 14 maps I had to go through (6 more than last time). Sorry if my criticism is a little short or bare bones; some of these I just didn't have much to say about them.

[spoiler="Hilltop Hunt Zone" by Fres]Standard little emerald hunt level. Nothing too complicated; if this is one of your first levels, nice job![/spoiler]

[spoiler="Quartzite Crag Zone" by SeventhSentinel]Really fun to breeze through! There's a diagonal red spring that only flings Sonic far enough to land on the platform it's aiming at, and the visuals are rough around the edges (but you've made it clear you want to change that), but other than that I have no complaints.[/spoiler]

[spoiler="Jello Factory Zone 1" by Mystyc Cheez]Let me get the single most nitpicky compliant I have ever had with anything out of the way: mind taking a different level select picture? The current one makes it look like a generic grass level with blue water, when the actual level itself is actually so much cooler than that!

Anyways, I haven't seen you post in the past, but I already like your mapping style. You use the gimmicks rather well, especially for a map you made in a short time frame. Only thing I'd say would be to make the differences in the bouncy jello colors more clear; it's only subtle differences at the moment, and it makes it a little tough to figure out the room after the last checkpoint (it's kinda easy to figure out to jump on the red cube anyways, but it wouldn't hurt to make the bounciness more drastic I'd say). But man, I really love it otherwise; it's fun and carefree, and the little touches (like the Skim bombs reacting to the THZ slime) are cool!

This is also the only map where I'd say "don't get a custom music track", since the vanilla one you picked fits too well. :p[/spoiler]

[spoiler="Sky Labyrinth Zone" by Tripel the fox]A really neat gimmick level; wasn't expecting a lot of these. If there's anything I'd suggest adding, it'd be a method to cancel your spindash (hold jump to start slowing down?). Other than that it's short and pleasant, keep it up![/spoiler]

[spoiler="Overgrown Castle Zone" by Chaobrother]A pretty nice level, I like the theme and use of Actraiser music! Some areas I feel are a bit overly big, and the leaf texture doesn't exactly convey "this will hurt you". Maybe replace it with a bramble texture? Still, nice job![/spoiler]

[spoiler="Nightlight Ruins Zone" by Steel Titanium]A short but nice level. I'm rather fond of some of the areas, such as the "teeth" hallway. However, I found that most enemies face the wrong way, and the teleport into the 2D section could be a little more clear where it is.

0d65d39cfb.png

For nitpicks, these two slopes in the opening room look kind of weird...

0dd23a7751.png

...and this small dead end route that's a little hard to get on has a Ring monitor here, while the easier route at the bottom has an Emerald Token that I usually can grab without meaning to; can't help but feel it's meant to be the other way around.

Still though, you've got a pretty neat map here![/spoiler]

[spoiler="Gravity Well Zone" by Goldenhog]This one's so close to being amazing, you've ought to make the push/pull strength way less strong. It feels almost like it's designed for Knuckles only, because of how weird it feels trying to do the platforming as a character without glide (the glide makes the push/pull feel way more manageable). The last room in particular feels overly brutal as Sonic, since there's only the tiniest margin for error.

f4ac0474cd.png

Here, I'm not sure what you're supposed to do as Tails. Knuckles can climb on the walls, so I'm thinking he shouldn't even get up here. Make it clearer what he should do, or prevent Tails from getting up here.

60f4b7bcc3.png

These boxes bounce you fairly low; it's hard to tell that you're bouncing higher every time, and I actually thought you couldn't beat the level as Sonic.

Honestly though, just change these up and you'll have a pretty awesome level; don't give up![/spoiler]

[spoiler="Sunset Ruins Zone 1 & 2" by Hedgefox]Act 1 has problems such as unclosed sectors, overlapping linedefs, and too large map size (even after you moved the skybox). Can't include it until those are fixed; they still cause bad collision issues, even if they're a lot better after your recent changes. You're on the right track, though! Use the "Make Sectors" tool on the broken sectors to remake them, and if you have "Merge Geometry" on then put the linedef vertices on top of each other so that they merge. Try reducing the size of that last room just slightly (you're only somewhere about 256-1024 units past the max) to fix the map size.

Act 2, however, is almost A OK; all you need to do is make the OGG music under 2mb, then you'll be good! Condense it down to 1 loop of the song instead of making it 15 minutes long, and I think it'll be just fine. As for other recommendations, I think the platforms you have in the arena are a little small, and the gas jets there are really loud and they get annoying fast. Still, nice effort; fix or outright change the music and you'll be golden.[/spoiler]

[spoiler="Robotnik Laboratory Zone 1 & 2" by Manimi]I am not considering adding Act 2 at all at the moment because I've recently found out Act 1 has unclosed sectors, overlapping lines, and map size issues (same as Sunset Ruins Zone 1).

If these aren't fixed then this will prevent me from including it, since in my test builds they actually prevent being able to collect the "level completed" emblem that every map has. Copy pasting what I said for SRZ1: "Use the "Make Sectors" tool on the broken sectors to remake them, and if you have "Merge Geometry" on then put the linedef vertices on top of each other so that they merge". Use the Map Analysis tool to help find where these errors are. As for map size, I'm not sure what you should do, but you have to figure out places to make it smaller.[/spoiler]

[spoiler="Cute Ice" by Zipper]This is a nice, short but sweet level (a cute level?). I'm really fond of the visual style, and the challenges you present are really cool. (first one that pops to my mind is the one in the underwater section where Sonic is meant to thok at an angle to reach another platform; that was a really clever application of water physics!) It doesn't overstay its welcome and it's not overly complicated. Good job![/spoiler]

[spoiler="Fiery Volcano" by Monster Psychic Cat]First thing I noticed that I kinda liked: really cool colormapping you did there! However, I feel like the scale's a little small; feels closer proportioned to a Doom map. Select your entire map, press "E", and then scale it up to somewhere around 125%-200% (whatever you think feels best), then adjust it a little (flamethrowers might need changed in particular); I can garueentee it'll feel a lot better with the extra room to walk in! Also echoing someone's earlier statement that those lava falls are really fast; only way I've found past them when not playing as Sonic is slowly charge up your spindash to max. Still though, you've got some good stuff here![/spoiler]

[spoiler="Green Hill Zone" by Flare957]This cannot be accepted in it's current state because it changes vanilla objects instead of making new objects, and nearly the whole map is visually broken in Software. Sorry! Maybe you could try entering it again if I do another and you get a computer to fix these problems?[/spoiler]

Only five days left...

Last edited:
Here, I'm not sure what you're supposed to do as Tails. Knuckles can climb on the walls, so I'm thinking he shouldn't even get up here. Make it clearer what he should do, or prevent Tails from getting up here.

Tails is supposed to counter the upward push by flying downwards (holding the spin button while flying). I'll see what I can do to make it more obvious to the player.

No scroll floors at the final rooms, and fixed a broken sector near the end.

Attachments

5.5 MB · Views: 119
Well, and last update (if noone will report any another bug or glitch) I fixed the level pics:

Attachments

5.5 MB · Views: 146
Sunset Ruins Fix... But not final release.

large map size (even after you moved the skybox).

First of all, I don't see how 'large map size' has anything to do with the collision issues if that's what you're saying. If my map has to be shortened, then shouldn't you say the same for Manimi's, if you haven't? Anyways, I fixed the other issues. I didn't know the specific areas of the issues, since Salt didn't tell me. So, enjoy another, but not final release: http://tinyurl.com/sunsetruins

I'm still waiting for those badniks and that boss, Prisima.

EDIT: Updated the wad with a fix that should actually fix everything. Or most of the issues, anyway.

Last edited:
First of all, I don't see how 'large map size' has anything to do with the collision issues if that's what you're saying. If my map has to be shortened, then shouldn't say the same for Manimi's, if you haven't? Anyways, I fixed the other issues. I didn't know the specific areas of the issues, since Salt didn't tell me. So, enjoy another, but not final release: http://tinyurl.com/sunsetruins

I'm still waiting for those badniks and that boss, Prisima.

I've done all I can to point out the errors, All I can say to get the remaining stuff fixed is use zone builder's error checker (F4)

Robotnik Laboratory has really improved leaps and bounds since it was first submitted, and I just wanted to make note of that. I really liked the boss arena combined with the high knockback missiles the boss fires, too.

Well, and last update (if noone will report any another bug or glitch) I fixed the level pics:

Ok sorry, I know I said this is the last update, but I was impatient and I made the level longer... I added to the level new corridor and placed checkpoints in more places...

Attachments

5.5 MB · Views: 129
Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back