Roly Poly Putt

Status
Not open for further replies.
Even so, the Android is a choice platform. Most devices made in the past couple years can run 3D and accelerometer function quite well.

Android might seem like a choice platform with its 'openness', but it's also it's greatest weakness. You have to write your program in Java, which is not a good choice for games...especially if you want it to be cross platform. Google really needs to have a complete API for their OS available in C. Having to call C code from Java and vice versa is really wonky. This is why you see people always releasing a game on iOS first.
I've been working on and off on an Android port -- but I'm currently hung up on calling back to Java from C (i.e., to tell the OS, 'play this sound' or 'upload this achievement').
Every platform (iOS, BlackBerry, XBox, PS3, PC) except for Android lets you write totally in C, and I view this is a HUGE barrier to making 'gaming on Android' mainstream.

Really, releasing it on steam is a stretch. Can you maybe attest to how the game would play with, say, a keyboard and mouse, or even a gamepad?

Actually, I find the game WAY easier with the keyboard!

You can try something like Desura for distribution, or even sell it directly from your site using something like paypal.

Selling it directly is out of the question (unless you have a network-connected game like Minecraft and don't mind running your own servers), but I've never heard of Desura before...that might be worth looking at. Problem is, Steam is kind of like the Apple App Store or Google Play -- you're only going to reach a small slice of gamers using something other than the main distribution service.
I wonder what Desura costs?

Selling it directly is out of the question (unless you have a network-connected game like Minecraft and don't mind running your own servers), but I've never heard of Desura before...that might be worth looking at. Problem is, Steam is kind of like the Apple App Store or Google Play -- you're only going to reach a small slice of gamers using something other than the main distribution service.
I wonder what Desura costs?

Desura is legitimately the Steam of indies and mod makers. They even link up with ModDB and IndieDB for fast downloading of content. I think this link from their site speaks for itself. If you're wary of attempting a Steam release, this is your alternative. It's an easy enough thing to mod your existing games, and a good platform to start your selling.

50MBs? One thing you should know about Android is, we don't get a lot of space.
Oh well, Deleting Time. I really want to try it out.

Btw, Can we advertise now? or your just an exception? =P

Advertise all you want!

Sorry about the file size, it's actually a challenge keeping a game this size so small.

MY Review : (2/5) *Keep in mind this was tested on 2 phones, High Range (Samsung Galaxy S3) And Mid-Low Range (Samsung LG ls670*Which 76% of Droid user have because it's cheap =/ *) Though Both Phones work mostly the same.

Good Points:
Most of the Music is Nice and Fun to listen to.
Srb2 Remake is not bad also
Graphics are nice to looks at
Better then Srb2 Golf?
Cute Main Character.
Good Fps, When it wants to be.

Bad Points:
Many Crashes
Very Slow Gui and Touch Screen Input
Long Load time Resuming game from Back out, Then Crash.
Android Gyro? What were you thinking!! What is this? Iphone..
Frame Rate drop when touch screen is held down.
Jump Button Crashes Game 1/2 the time or just doesn't work at all.
Swing button doesn't press first time.
Chartboost thing Locks up game.
Stuck at Score Card Screen.
Very Tough with Lagged input
Avg mobile Detect Virus (maybe from the repeat Crashes)
Gyro is not Calibrated right
Maps to big, Getting lost a lot, (Easy fix with mini map, like Super Monkey Ball)
Dynamic Camera at the start of a stage is a cool concept but, Lags Hardcore, Crashes when lets go of Screen.

Though Really, when it comes down to it, all this is, is golf.
Maybe I'm Expecting to much from you, so Don't take it to personal.
I just reviewing it as a normal Phone user would.
I Really like the game, and know how hard coding in Java with Droid's SDK can be.
But you won't get any better if I lie to you.

I do it because I care =;;(

This also was just the first 5 min of play so sorry if I didn't get everything.
I'm Quite Tried at the moment, And will go more in detailed tomorrow.

Thanks, bluecore. Great feedback.

For the gyro, you can change your control type to 'TOUCH' instead if you prefer. It's on the options and/or pause menu.

Yeah, turns out the initial release had a lot of problems, but releasing is the best way to find and fix these quickly. I sent out an update, it should fix the crashes. Get it and give me some new impressions.

The iPad/iPhone is still the definitive version, much better controls and runs a lot faster. I hope to close that gap after awhile.

Last edited:
I got some feedback to give as well as some bugs.

Phone: Android - Samsung Galaxy S4

The controls aren't really that bad since I'm using the touch controls however the app keeps crashing randomly. I gotten as far as Hole 5 in Sowbug Swamp and even after sinking the putt the game crashes right before the scoreboard pops up.

Replaying the entire course while the app randomly crashes is kinda annoying. I know with it being a public beta and all for the Android version but perhaps a option to resume which hole you left off during Grand-Tour would help to see if there's any more further crashes until this issue is fixed?

Another thing to report is that the character & flag model keep having black patches appear randomly, oh and the music & sound won't turn off and the Jump button is kinda delayed sometimes.

It's a fun game I will say, but with the random crashes it makes it unplayable currently and this is the only phone I have at the moment. Not giving a rating for it just yet since it's a beta and all.

*EDIT*
Seems the crashing is related to using the touch screen to control the ball during a putt. I used gyro controls and the game held up pretty well until Hole 16 in Sowbug Swamp where it crashed after tapping the screen due to my phone going to sleep. Gyro control seems more stable seeing as I gotten as far as Hole 16 and with touch controls I couldn't get beyond Hole 5 without it crashing. Not entirely sure if it crashes when jumping but I don't think it does if I gotten far with gyro controls but worth a look anyway.

*EDIT - 2*
A rather nasty freeze that I encountered during Woodlice West Hole 10 that locks up the phone where the only way to unfreeze it is to pull the battery. Not sure if it happens randomly to be honest. It's not a full freeze but more like a "You don't get by this screen like Draw a Pattern" kind of freeze.

Last edited:
Very cool. I've been hoping for a while that you guys would release an Android port, so I was pleasantly surprised to see this. The game ran pretty smoothly on my Galaxy S2 - I had no framerate drops save for a few really high-speed sections, and expect for the "Go" button, which sometimes took a second or two to react, the controls were perfectly responsive as well. The game did crash a few times, most notably when I locked my phone while the game was running and then tried to return to it. One particularly strange bug was that sometimes when I switched to the global view in a level and then back to the chasecam, the "Go" button would disappear, preventing me from making another stroke.

As for the game itself, it was a lot of fun! At first I thought turning was way too difficult and restrictive, but that feeling gradually subsided as I got better at the game. Maybe it was my fault in the first place for starting out with Woodlice West instead of Sowbug Swamp. The level design was very creative and varied (rotating rope pulleys for the win!), and except for the very restrictive turning, the controls felt very intuitive. Pretty much the only thing that bugged me is how the rope pulleys were introduced. They're generally pretty easy to hang on to, but not when they're at the top of a very steep slope and you have to time your jump perfectly to make it. For a level that's called "Learning the Ropes", I would have expected the mechanic to be introduced better.

One more thing: I liked the little pillbug's silly dance moves when you finish a hole, but it looks a bit strange because his head is pretty much nothing but two giant eyes and he has no facial expression to speak of.

So yeah, nice job, and I'm looking forward to further updates!

Replaying the entire course while the app randomly crashes is kinda annoying. I know with it being a public beta and all for the Android version but perhaps a option to resume which hole you left off during Grand-Tour would help to see if there's any more further crashes until this issue is fixed?

Teehee, that's actually an oopsie of mine... the iOS version has a 'resume game' option, and while the Android version does secretly track your game progress in the background, I forgot to pop up a dialog asking if you want to resume your game! Doi.....

Another thing to report is that the character & flag model keep having black patches appear randomly

Hmm, are you able to get a screenshot?

Seems the crashing is related to using the touch screen to control the ball during a putt.

If it gives you an option to send a bug report, please do, as (sometimes) Google forwards those on to me.
It also sounds like you have one of the earlier versions that would crash with touches sometimes... update today and give it another go.

Thanks guys! This feedback is great!
Maybe the Android version should allow you to create your own levels....? Hmmm... :) :)

Maybe the Android version should allow you to create your own levels....? Hmmm... :) :)

That's a great Idea for 2D games where you can just use MS Paint to draw in different colors for different floor types, Even Notepad if you want to add items.

Though with a 3D game, it might be too much for the basic Phone user to want to try it out, and will most likely rarely get used =/

Also, is buying Squares the only way you're making money off this?
I'm not saying put ads on it, but you might want to make a Pro version for $0.99
Which can include a full Srb2 1.09 Remake =P (*minus the Copyrighted stuff*)

Mutiplayer Might be a little too extreme, but maybe a Online Score board might be easy?

I'm going to give it a second go, with the update and see how much awesome-er the later stages are. =)

That's a great Idea for 2D games where you can just use MS Paint to draw in different colors for different floor types, Even Notepad if you want to add items.

I was thinking more along the lines if you wanted to use the full blown tools to make levels on your computer, then copy them over on the SD card.

Also, is buying Squares the only way you're making money off this?
I'm not saying put ads on it, but you might want to make a Pro version for $0.99

Yep, just the cubes, and there's an ad that shows up sometimes.

Mutiplayer Might be a little too extreme, but maybe a Online Score board might be easy?

There is! Click the 'Game Center' option on the main menu and sign in!

SSNTails said:
Teehee, that's actually an oopsie of mine... the iOS version has a 'resume game' option, and while the Android version does secretly track your game progress in the background, I forgot to pop up a dialog asking if you want to resume your game! Doi.....
Really? Well then... good to know such a feature is there I suppose.

SSNTails said:
Hmm, are you able to get a screenshot?
Screenshot_2014-01-14-16-33-35.png

Notice the dark patches on Roly *Is that his name?* and on the flag.

SSNTails said:
If it gives you an option to send a bug report, please do, as (sometimes) Google forwards those on to me.
It also sounds like you have one of the earlier versions that would crash with touches sometimes... update today and give it another go.
Just sent in a report. The app crashes even if you like... keep tapping/using the touch screen for time to time and as for the version I wanna say I do have the updated version unless google play didn't show a update for it or something since it didn't give me a update option for the app.

SSNTails said:
Would be a nice idea. I wonder just what kind of tricky courses other users will come up with but I suppose it should wait until the bugs are sorted out first.

Last edited:
Just downloaded the update today , let's see what has been fixed and such.

It seems the game doesn't crash anymore when tapping the touchscreen during a putt. *Tested this by just hammering down on the touchscreen repeatedly and it hasn't crashed.* It may be early to say this but I suppose doing a tour would probably be a good test to do.

I see that there's a option to use both gyro controls and touch controls. Not sure if this was in the old version but I suppose this is useful for those that want to use both play styles.

You can now resume your tours if you decide to take a break or if the game crashes. I personally thank you for enabling this since in the old version if the game crashed or if you wanted to take a break, you have to redo the entire tour again.

*Bugs*
The models still have dark patches. A screenshot of this is found in my other post.

The Camera option during the game seems to be too sensitive. Like one tap would count as two taps. At first I thought the third-person camera was missing since the only options I could get was first-person and course view but it turned up after a few taps. Perhaps a very slight delay per switch could fix this?

While using Touch Controls, the go/swing/jump button when pressed also causes you to turn to the right slightly. I don't recall this happening in the old version but this can kinda mess up your shot sometimes.
----------
I have the Samsung Galaxy S4. The model glitches are minor but at least now the game is stable with touch controls and the fact that you can resume a tour just in case. Good update.

Last edited:
Just finished testing out Poly Putt on the OUYA.

Would have done it sooner, but I had to look up some Tutorials because I was having Graphic glitches.

Though I have to say that it works Very well for a touch screen game.
Also I had no Crashes, so it might have been my phones, and not your game.

A controller feels Soo nice with this game, so I encourage you to Try it out for yourself.

If you have an Ouya, I'll send you the .Apk
*for some reason, if you don't have it =P*

Or buy it here

Another update rolled in so let's see what's been fixed and what has been broken.

Seems the bug where you would turn slightly upon pressing the Swing/Jump Button has been fixed.

*Bugs*
Major bug this time. The game hangs on a black screen when selecting a course in Grand Tour and when on the Select Mode screen for Select-A-Hole... the game hangs when you tap either course. If you already have a game in session then this is the only way to play the game. This didn't happen on the old version that I had before getting this update.

Dark patches still appear on the Flag & Roly.

The Go Button still turns you slightly towards the right when tapping it.
----------
Again, still the same phone.

Last edited:
Major bug this time. The game hangs on a black screen when selecting a course in Grand Tour and when on the Select Mode screen for Select-A-Hole... the game hangs when you tap either course. If you already have a game in session then this is the only way to play the game. This didn't happen on the old version that I had before getting this update.

Doh...a small oversight of mine created a BIG mistake. :P

Dark patches still appear on the Flag & Roly.

Try the new version -- did it go away? (v1.1.0) It does on my phone.

SSNTails said:
Doh...a small oversight of mine created a BIG mistake. :P
The Update fixed the game hanging for both modes.

SSNTails said:
Try the new version -- did it go away? (v1.1.0) It does on my phone.
Still see dark patches on the update. Dunno if it's fixable for Samsung Galaxy S4 phones.

At least the game hanging is fixed. I'll do a tour run at a later time to see if anything happens.

I'm late to the party (but perhaps for the better, considering bug fixes) and I'm pretty surprised this actually got an Android release. I'll download it and try it sometime, as I've been waiting to play this. So far just from looking at screenshots it's oddly comforting to see SRB2 textures. Sort of like comfort food, heh.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back