Ring Spark Field

Ring Spark Field v1.1

CloneFighter

Mediocre Lua scripter
antonretrojr submitted a new resource:

Ring Spark Field - Combine with the V.Maximum Overdrive for ultimate CD Metal experience.

As soon as I saw Icezer's V.Maximum Overdrive, I just felt like I needed to do this. So here we are:
Ring Spark Field
View attachment 49212

Returning from Sonic CD, quote:
Hobby Consolas i.23 p.21 said:
Another powerful attack Metal Sonic has is Ring Spark Field, a radioactive force which also has it's disadvantages: the speed and energy of the robot...

Read more about this resource...

I agree with Icezer that it'd be cool for him to be able to break spikes with this, however I don't think breaking floor patches is necessary. He doesn't need to be able to explore Amy/Fang paths, and nothing suggests he should be able to with this ability. I do think it should also be able to break Tier 1 Bustable Walls and everything Dash Mode is able to break.

I find it kind of weird that you can spin and jump out of ring spark field to cancel it. Dunno if it's intentional. If you want to make the move cancelable you can probably just make using custom 1 cancel it instead.

Ways to cancel ring spark field
- Jumping
- Spindashing
- Spinning
- Using it at full speed and immediately skidding
- Walking off a ledge while using the move and landing on the ground

The visuals for the effect look like they could be improved too

Suggestions for the visuals could be
1. Making the sprite stay on metal's xyz position, instead of drawing a new sprite onto him every frame or whatever it's doing right now.
2. Adding sprites to make it animated.
3. Looking at how shields are overlayed.

Also when starting the move, Metal should go into his RSF sprite, not his Spin sprite, since... he can take damage, cant go under spin gaps, cant break walls, and of course theres no spin physics.

Another suggestion is to make the move not interruptible, the move shouldn't be canceled by a spring.

you dont have to make these suggestions but i thought they were good ideas

antonretrojr updated Ring Spark Field with a new update entry:

Version 1.1 - "Slightly Better" (delayed) Update

That's why I waited a day for it. For it not being 'an update a minute' or sth.

+ As per several requests (as well as me reminding myself), added the ability to break spikes.
+ Added partial invincibility. Partial because retracting spikes can still hurt you from below. Somehow.
+ Added the ability to properly cancel the Ring Spark Field without jumping or rolling.
* Attempted to remove buffering a Ring Spark Field when using it or when airborne.
- Removed the ability to initiate a...

Read the rest of this update entry...
Post automatically merged:

I find it kind of weird that you can spin and jump out of ring spark field to cancel it. Dunno if it's intentional.
It's intentional, as I imagine Metal breaking out of the Field to use any of these ways to cancel it - it requires more energy than the Ring Spark Field lets him use. Then again, Metal never actually jumps or uses the Spin Dash in CD, so...
As for the technical reason, the state only changes ONCE when pressing C1 to initiate the Ring Spark Field. And as we all know, jumping, spinning, charging a Spin Dash, skidding and landing all change states.

Suggestions for the visuals could be
1. Making the sprite stay on metal's xyz position, instead of drawing a new sprite onto him every frame or whatever it's doing right now.
I made it look like the Invincibility sparkles, since just sticking with CD's design is boring.
2. Adding sprites to make it animated.
It is already animated. In CD the sprite just flips itself to get the other frame.
(Fun bonus fact: the sparks are rotationally symmetrical in CD.)

Also when starting the move, Metal should go into his RSF sprite, not his Spin sprite, since... he can take damage, cant go under spin gaps, cant break walls, and of course theres no spin physics.
The spin sprites are also intentional - it's a sort of start delay for the move, like the Super transform animation. Especially since in Mania the character spins for a bit before transforming.

Last edited:
I made it look like the Invincibility sparkles, since just sticking with CD's design is boring.
ah ok, fair.
I just thought the fact it looked like invincibility was odd or looked odd.

I just thought since the "pre-ringsparkfield" rolling animatio doesnt have any rolling powers (such as going under spin gaps, and hurting enemies, etc.) that it shouldve been a different animation.
And that being able to cancel it into anything made it not as much as a debuff or something.
also the reason i suggested it being able to break tier 1 walls, is because dash mode can.
Post automatically merged:

this isn't related to the mod really, but I just realized in Sonic CD, Metal Sonic's eyes are a very light grey or blue, and red when in ring spark field, but every appearance metal has had since cd, he's had red eyes.

Last edited:
If you're drawing a new spark field each frame and deleting one the next, and each frame starts on the first frame of animation, then all of them will LOOK like it's only the first frame?
That's just a guess code-wise.

Unless the current system works in a way that it chooses between 2 different sprites to draw. (First one drawn, will be the 1st frame, the second one drawn will be the 2nd frame, 3rd frame will be 1st, 4th will be 2nd etc.
just curious code-wise

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back