Ring Racers Suggestions

Only for online races, if someone is in last for the majority of the race but places in the top half, give them a C Rank. It's kind of demotivating to get a D Rank despite the comeback.

My Another 3 Suggestions for Dr. Robotnik's Ring Racers:
Signature Moves for all racers (including Chararcter WADs)
Sonic Dream Team tracks
Sonic Frontiers tracks

My Signature Meter Concept:
SRB2 Kart Concept Signature Meter.png

Some minor stuff that I have been thinking about, I do have some thoughts about the gameplay but for now I will just leave it to non gameplay stuff
- the encoremusic parameter should also have an encoremusicspeed parameter that you can set manually to go with it, since you can adjust song speeds with the tunes command (for example, tunes SSTAR 0.85 or tunes SSTAR2 1.2) it would be nice to have this option for encore as well since it would allow more options on how you want your encore to be like.
- Binary maps should not crash when being loaded (but if its insisted that you should convert them to udmf, spit out a warning or even force them to be singleplayer only and not appear online), apparently the game crashing if it tries to load a binary map is intentional but I could be wrong on that, so thats why I am leaving it as a suggestion here. Its frustrating that you need to download SRB2 in order for to get a textmap of your level in order to convert it to UDMF and it would be nice if you could just do it straight from DRRR itself.
- If playing online, spraycans do not get highlighted with the rainbow aura (or that shiny dot if far away), if you arent hunting for spraycans and just want to play some online races, I think it would be better if they were deemphasised since you are most likely going to be focusing on other racers, items, and hazards on the road.
- While I am pretty sure its not for requesting content, I would like a color that is like the srb2kart purple, while there is magenta and violet, they are brighter than the srb2kart purple (and also the Srb2 versions of those colors). And it would be nice to have some more colors around that shade since I feel like its underrepresented compared to the other colors in basegame.

Some stuff related to unlocks in the spoiler
- Eggrobo should have an alternate unlock condition by succesfully skipping the tutorial, since you are racing against a group of eggrobos, why not reward the player with that character if you havent unlocked them already?
- Reduce the amount of medals needed for SPB attack to 100 to 200 medals, and/or an alternate condition to unlock it even faster, its by far the grindiest unlock for a gamemode in the game. And since it relates to a very notable feature of this games items, I think it would be good if the option to try out outrunning an SPB across various different tracks was unlocked fairly quickly. This might also have to make encore mode unlockable sooner too since SPB attacks happens in encore mode
- Pulseman should have an alternate unlock condition to make him less frustrating to unlock. Shocking an SPB is one thing, but kodachrome is weirdly hard to get a strong enough lead to have it appear in the first place.

EDIT: Some stuff I forgot when initially writing this
- Allow players to rejoin modded netgames if they disconnected for whatever reason without needing to close the game, if you suddenly disconnect it would be nice to rejoin without needing to close and restart the game.
- in the addons section, let the player be able to type in the search bar with the keyboard like in SRB2Kart without needing to go up and select it in order to search for things. Its a QoL thing that I miss from SRB2Kart and while I understand why the new search is like that since it allows controller support. It does make it slow to look for addons with a keyboard.
- The option to allow for more map vote slots and the option to allow battle or a random map to be chosen in the selection (up to 8 maps to pick from including battle or a random map). Also another SRB2K thing I miss but more maps to pick from would also be nice as well and could offset any potential reduced map options from battle and random maps being votable.

Last edited:
Try searching to see if your suggestion has been posted before and see if anything comes up.
Thank you for allowing a space for suggestions. I'll follow the directions given --
1) SRB2K has a console chat option chatmode console which is not available in DRR. (There's only chatmode yes and chatmode no). May I ask if the additional setting could be included?
2) The "Show Rankings" action is a toggle. May I request an additional option for a "hold input for action"?
3) When you complete a race, you are stuck staring at the goal sign until the rest of the racers finish. May I request if this could be adjusted? Being able to spectate the other racers like in SRB2K (which was done by pressing the F12 key) is plenty fine.
4) To my knowledge, no version of DRRR or SRB2K had "Digital Turn Easing" as a vanilla game control option. That being the case, as a keyboard exclusive player, I would like to know if there could be some way to turn any form of digital turn easing to off. I would like the raw key inputs expressed, if that makes sense
5) How DRRR in general handles darkness (as in dark areas of maps, or shaded areas; tunnels, nighttime, etc.) could have room for improvement. For me, with my eyesight, it's quite difficult to see where I'm going, or where the turns are in these dark maps. Asking for headlights is too much I think (lol), but may I request some brightness or gamma settings? In SRB2K, I had a kartexec with brightness keybinds, which assisted me greatly.

Once again, thank you very much! I appreciate your consideration of these suggestions. I wish you a good rest of your day.
👍

Thank you for allowing a space for suggestions. I'll follow the directions given --
1) SRB2K has a console chat option chatmode console which is not available in DRR. (There's only chatmode yes and chatmode no). May I ask if the additional setting could be included?
2) The "Show Rankings" action is a toggle. May I request an additional option for a "hold input for action"?
3) When you complete a race, you are stuck staring at the goal sign until the rest of the racers finish. May I request if this could be adjusted? Being able to spectate the other racers like in SRB2K (which was done by pressing the F12 key) is plenty fine.
4) To my knowledge, no version of DRRR or SRB2K had "Digital Turn Easing" as a vanilla game control option. That being the case, as a keyboard exclusive player, I would like to know if there could be some way to turn any form of digital turn easing to off. I would like the raw key inputs expressed, if that makes sense
5) How DRRR in general handles darkness (as in dark areas of maps, or shaded areas; tunnels, nighttime, etc.) could have room for improvement. For me, with my eyesight, it's quite difficult to see where I'm going, or where the turns are in these dark maps. Asking for headlights is too much I think (lol), but may I request some brightness or gamma settings? In SRB2K, I had a kartexec with brightness keybinds, which assisted me greatly.

Once again, thank you very much! I appreciate your consideration of these suggestions. I wish you a good rest of your day.
👍
3. You could use the view command to spectate other people. It's not as intuitive as f12, but it's better than nothing
5. You could try switching your renderer to opengl, since dark lighting is easier to see in with it
You can make a "ringexec" file to replace your kartexec one
I hope these help

Some other suggestions i made:

New Item Ideas:
Poh-Bee (Same function as Thunder Cloud from Mario Kart Wii, automatically activates when it's received and can be passed on like EggMark. Shrinks the user after the countdown runs out)
Gold Shield from Sonic 3D Blast (Able to lock on, dash and strike a player just like what it did in the game to enemies, Breaks after use)

Support for gyro controls on PlayStation Controllers? (Maybe a Dumb Idea, but it could be useful for new players)
Ability to change the console font size? (I used to see that option in SRB2Kart, but now it's not there anymore in Ring Racers! Did they remove it?)

Ability to change the console font size? (I used to see that option in SRB2Kart, but now it's not there anymore in Ring Racers! Did they remove it?)

The font size option is still available as a console command.

This is actually a good segue to talk a little bit about our philosophy for that feature, anyways! The console has intentionally been de-emphasised compared to SRB2Kart - it's not even bound as a button by default. Messing around with it is a good way to develop an understanding of the technical properties that underpin a videogame, but if you're required to dip into it a lot of people who otherwise might have had fun (especially when using a controller) will just bounce off. So the Add-Ons menu (which SRB2Kart obviously had, but we've added console variables to as well), the admin kick/ban menu, tying Horns to Followers and the Z-Vote system are all efforts to make standard user experience smoother.

But of course, menus will never match the speed of configuration, or cover every corner case without being confusing. (And of course, the Round Queue and parties didn't get their UI for launch.) So it's still possible to use what we now call the Developer Console, but only if you need to - usually the domain of a server admin or modder. So all the options related to it are hidden inside it - delve deeper if you dare!

Last edited:
Add vector, like in SRB2K's bonuschars file. Nothing really else. It's a great game as is!

In the Grand Prix, splitscreen multiplayer is a bit scuffed, especially when one player got a Game Over and the other player(s) didn't. At least hide their screen from view so a large part of the screen isn't taken up by a worthless black bar.
Also, there should be a way for a player to come back from a Game Over. My idea is that if a prison break stage is cleared with all prisons hit, the person in a Game Over should get 1 extra chance.
(Or maybe that is the case and I just haven't played long enough to see it happen)

I don't know if this is a feature that's already in the game but just hidden but possibly a way to go back to the character select screen from other menus afterwards (like the Cup Select n' such) with a single button. Just so players don't have to repeatedly go back through menus if they wanna change characters frequently.

Change "Dr. Robotnik's Ring Racers" into "Sonic's Ring Racers"
Because Sonic is the lead character roster
...That just eliminates the whole damn point of Robotnik and Tails being the main characters.
Post automatically merged:

And Sonic isn't even SLIGHTLY related to the story ANYWHERE in the game

Last edited:
Back