Retro Racers Pack

Retro Racers Pack 5.4

Lother updated Retro Racers Pack with a new update entry:

V5.4: Small in game name change and a small fix.

Hello,

Here's a quick update in order to not only give a proper name to the song that plays in Big Rigs Road and also I changed the prefixes for the first two maps (Needy Madness and Four Leaf Cleaver) in order to group the maps better when mixed with other map packs.

But a strange bug appeared where it does considers the map pack as a gameplay modifying addon when it doesn't even have any LUA to begin with! (Could it be Slade 3.2 that is causing that bug?).

Anyway the maps shouldn't be...

Read the rest of this update entry...

I played your maps for a bit and I think they're perfectly solid, but a few of them have some flaws that hold them back slightly. I tested these on Hard speed.

Starting with Needy Madness, I think the minimap needs a visibility bump with sharper colors (brighter insides and darker outsides). The way the minimap depicts the part of the road that overlaps in the center and the shifts between grey and yellow could also throw off some players.
kart0000.gif

This particular area absolutely destroyed me in a blind run, as you're not given enough time to react to the sudden 90 degree turn, followed by another, sharper turn that you likely won't notice either. The entryway into the cave is also not that well communicated due to the textures in use and the darkness of the cave, even causing the arrow sign to blend in.
kart0001.gif

Depending on your racer's stats and the way you decide to take this jump, there's a good possibility that you won't be able to make the following turn without going offroad.

kart0002.gif

Moving onto Kitchen Kerfuffle, the white lines could probably be darkened so they don't appear to be the edges of the track at first glance. You can also end up launching yourself straight into the purple liquid if you're not careful.

kart0004.gif

Over in Millennium Racetrack, if you approach the cave through the right tunnel, the pathing through pretty much just jumps out at you, giving you little time to navigate it and correct yourself from bumping onto the edges.
kart0005.gif

If a player decides to get crafty and leap over these jumps blazingly fast with some Sneakers, they may not clear all the jumps depending on their character, forcing them to retry the entire section from the start.

kart0007.gif

This section in Big Rigs Road is not signaled all that well due to the sheer steepness of the ramp, potentially making you miss the U-turn The turn that comes up after it might be an easy one to miss due to how the road blends in with the grey wall textures, but that's mostly a problem on my end.

Overall I see a lot of protentional in this mapset and I like the theme of basing it off of older games. I hope you can fix or otherwise address some of these to make them more playable while still keeping their difficulty intact.

I played your maps for a bit and I think they're perfectly solid, but a few of them have some flaws that hold them back slightly. I tested these on Hard speed.

Starting with Needy Madness, I think the minimap needs a visibility bump with sharper colors (brighter insides and darker outsides). The way the minimap depicts the part of the road that overlaps in the center and the shifts between grey and yellow could also throw off some players.
View attachment 82182
This particular area absolutely destroyed me in a blind run, as you're not given enough time to react to the sudden 90 degree turn, followed by another, sharper turn that you likely won't notice either. The entryway into the cave is also not that well communicated due to the textures in use and the darkness of the cave, even causing the arrow sign to blend in.
View attachment 82183
Depending on your racer's stats and the way you decide to take this jump, there's a good possibility that you won't be able to make the following turn without going offroad.

View attachment 82184
Moving onto Kitchen Kerfuffle, the white lines could probably be darkened so they don't appear to be the edges of the track at first glance. You can also end up launching yourself straight into the purple liquid if you're not careful.

View attachment 82185
Over in Millennium Racetrack, if you approach the cave through the right tunnel, the pathing through pretty much just jumps out at you, giving you little time to navigate it and correct yourself from bumping onto the edges.
View attachment 82186
If a player decides to get crafty and leap over these jumps blazingly fast with some Sneakers, they may not clear all the jumps depending on their character, forcing them to retry the entire section from the start.

View attachment 82187
This section in Big Rigs Road is not signaled all that well due to the sheer steepness of the ramp, potentially making you miss the U-turn The turn that comes up after it might be an easy one to miss due to how the road blends in with the grey wall textures, but that's mostly a problem on my end.

Overall I see a lot of protentional in this mapset and I like the theme of basing it off of older games. I hope you can fix or otherwise address some of these to make them more playable while still keeping their difficulty intact.

I gotta fix those problems for my maps. Thanks for reporting those.

For Needy Madness, that was my first map so I'll have to redo of fix those things.
For Kitchen Kerfuffle, I'm planning to completely redo it from scratch since it is my weakest map in the pack.
For Millenium Racetrack I have an idea on how to fix that.
And for Big Rigs Road, I will have an idea on how to signal it far better. Just have to do the corresponding graphics for it.

And I'm still working really slowly on my sixth map.

Thanks for the response. It helps to use the track's geometry and textures to guide players throughout instead of relying only on signs to do the job (especially in tracks like Big Rigs Road where you cannot see the signs clearly from a distance).

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back