Retro Racers Pack

Retro Racers Pack 5.4

Lother

Lother submitted a new resource:

Needy Madness (Need for Madness? inspired track) - Tracks based around old racing games

Hello everybody!

I present to you my very first race track: Needy Madness.

View attachment 53094

Based on the old Flash game Need For Madness?, this track will bring you up and down through multiple jumps. The center piece is sure to bring some chaos into the mix.

This track does not have an encore mode yet.

I'm planning to do a cup containing this track and at least 4 more tracks inspired by: Hotwheels; Micro Machines; Virtua Racing and Millenium Racer and others.

Read more about this resource...

Oh yeah, about the NFM sound effects... [check my review of the map to see what I'm talking about]

You can find all the sound effects NFM uses in the game files (data/sounds.zip), including the announcer's voice lines (carfixed.wav for when you pass through a Quick-fix Hoop, checkpoint.wav for... well, the checkpoints, et cetera). All you need to do to use them is extract them and convert to ogg.

So while grinding for best time on the tracks to possibly go for a 'staff attack' feel, I saw a peculiar possible cut.
With the Sneakers you can just drift straight through the big turn before the quarterpipe CP:
kart0000.gif
kart0001.gif

On the other hand maybe it's just an optimal path-- Ahem-hm.

Anyway, got the staff times for Needy Madness if ya wanna use them:
  • 1ST - Formula 7 (Pumpkin Sonic)
  • 2ND - The Radical One (Platinum Metal Sonic)
  • 3RD - Wow Caninaro (Quarry Knuckles)
  • 4th - Nimi (Handheld Tails)
  • 5th - EL KING (Jet Eggman)
See attachments for the replay archive. The replays are named after the NFM cars I based the players on.

Attachments

• NeedyMadnessStaff.rar
    184.7 KB · Views: 130
Lother updated Retro Racers Pack with a new update entry:

Retro Racer V5.0 [NEW MAP]

Hello everyone.

I'm back with a new map for this Pack, as usual based on an old racing game. Please welcome:

Big Rigs Race:

View attachment 61582

In this track inspired by the (best?) worst racing game ever made, race through a city and its mountain side.
It is complete with untangible obsticle, broken physics, a view of the limit of the map and a flying truck.

Read the rest of this update entry...

Lot to love in this pack. The bridge in Big Rigs got a laugh out of me. Great reference. Four Leaf looks like it'll be great for Baby Park styled chaos. Who doesn't love Hot Wheels tracks? Millennium and Needy Madness are the highlights to me. The unique start positions on the pedestals in Millennium are a great touch. No two sections in the track are the same without feeling too overwhelming. I especially love the use of the yellow boost sections and the jump portion in the middle of the track. Overall, I'd say Needy Madness has my favorite track design, which is impressive given there are no gimmicks. Yet, the course flows between tight turns, light bends, almost halfpipe-like elevated sections, and massive airtime jumps. Fantastic!
My one gripe is with Kitchen Kerfuffle. I think the visuals and lack of any depth on the track (as in, there are no raised sections to help show where the road ends and where the off-road begins like in the...ketchup section? The wide area with the red stuff.) itself makes it hard to keep an eye on where the course is. It's not awful, but it is easily my least favorite. Regardless, I look forward to your future updates!

Lot to love in this pack. The bridge in Big Rigs got a laugh out of me. Great reference. Four Leaf looks like it'll be great for Baby Park styled chaos. Who doesn't love Hot Wheels tracks? Millennium and Needy Madness are the highlights to me. The unique start positions on the pedestals in Millennium are a great touch. No two sections in the track are the same without feeling too overwhelming. I especially love the use of the yellow boost sections and the jump portion in the middle of the track. Overall, I'd say Needy Madness has my favorite track design, which is impressive given there are no gimmicks. Yet, the course flows between tight turns, light bends, almost halfpipe-like elevated sections, and massive airtime jumps. Fantastic!
My one gripe is with Kitchen Kerfuffle. I think the visuals and lack of any depth on the track (as in, there are no raised sections to help show where the road ends and where the off-road begins like in the...ketchup section? The wide area with the red stuff.) itself makes it hard to keep an eye on where the course is. It's not awful, but it is easily my least favorite. Regardless, I look forward to your future updates!
Thanks for the feedback and yes I agree that I should really improve Kitchen Kerfuffle on the visual and depth aspect. And right now I've finished (finally) the very basic layout for my next track. I'm now tackling pretty much everything else.

Edit: And Four Leaf Cleaver is indeed Baby Park levels of chaos.

Last edited:

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back