Rail Grinding

[Open Assets] Rail Grinding 1.0

This content may be freely modified and/or maintained by anyone.

Tempest97 (Krimps)

blue man use leg go fast
Tempest97 (Krimps) submitted a new resource:

Rail Grinding - Grind on rails and fences!

Rail grinding in SRB2!

This add-on is a snippet of code from my character, Tempest the Axolotl, version 1.1.2, modified to work without the rest of the add-on. By holding CUSTOM 2 with enough speed while atop a fence/rail/solid midtexture, your character will go into a roll state and slide across the rail, with increased velocity (+33%). The direction you hold moderately influences your trajectory, so be careful...

Read more about this resource...

In the official games its just done automatically when you land on a rail, no button required. Just curious if the reason it uses a button here is cause the game wasnt made with rail grinding in mind, and/or because the rail detection gets in the way otherwise?

In the official games its just done automatically when you land on a rail, no button required. Just curious if the reason it uses a button here is cause the game wasnt made with rail grinding in mind.
in part because of that, but mostly because i believe it's more practical this way, since otherwise you could accidentally scrape by the corner of a rail and get launched on a different direction by accident. maybe i'll make it automatic if i ever get around to making a more stable rail grind script!

srb20000.gif

So i was screwing around with the file, while looking in modern sonic's files/sprites, and ended up creating a little patch file that lets modern sonic use rails to grind, sprites and all.
edit: and no i didn't edit the modern sonic file itself, so i didnt really modify the file for it being not reusable.
Post automatically merged:

srb20000.gif

So i was screwing around with the file, while looking in modern sonic's files/sprites, and ended up creating a little patch file that lets modern sonic use rails to grind, sprites and all.
edit: and no i didn't edit the modern sonic file itself, so i didnt really modify the file for it being not reusable.
I really hope this isn't breaking any rules.

srb20001.gif

Guys, guys, look! The SA2 is real!

Last edited:
View attachment 96967

View attachment 96974
Please tell me how you did the sa2 and modern rail thing.

Thank you for teaching me how to do dis and thank Tempest97 for making this mod.

My fingers says:
Please tell me how you did the sa2 and modern rail thing.

My mouth says: Aw Heck Yeah!

But my brain says:

Last edited:
View attachment 96967

View attachment 96974
How Did You Do Rail Grinding Because It Might Not Work For Me

how do you disable c2 to railgrinding, oh also can i look into tempest's code to see how to make the railgrinding character exclusive.
in the code, try removing the checks for BT_CUSTOM2, although i can't promise you that the code will work well when run automatically, lol

also yep, go ahead! you probably just need to add a condition at the beginning of the script to check for p.mo.skin, if you want to make the code character-exclusive. if you need help with any of this, try asking in the srb2 discord

in the code, try removing the checks for BT_CUSTOM2, although i can't promise you that the code will work well when run automatically, lol

also yep, go ahead! you probably just need to add a condition at the beginning of the script to check for p.mo.skin, if you want to make the code character-exclusive. if you need help with any of this, try asking in the srb2 discord
ok thx

i removed the custom button check and added

“and (p.mo.eflags & MFE_JUSTHITFLOOR)”

Which in theory should only activate if you land on something considered a rail. it seems to function just fine since the rail is considered the ground :P it will only activate when you’re falling and land on the rail. so when you run by a rail it shouldn’t pull you in to the rail, I’ve tested it and it works fine!

View attachment 96967

View attachment 96974
How You Found Those Sprites From The Folder

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back