Orange.dat?

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I found this a cuple days ago and asked d00d what it was,
what I found was a dat file called orange

imma copy paste the message I typed:

Well, I don't have any mods that are related to this, and the code inside the DAT file is so short, idk how that even got there so yeah. I'm not worried about it, but I'm still searching on my downloads and addons folder to see why I have it

I found this out when I was about to change one of my models and add it to XTREME sonic

right as i was about to open models.DAT I realized there was another dat file above that said "ORANGE"

I opened it and thought it was useless bc it was so short but idk

Image(s):

Screenshot 2022-04-27 135702.png
Screenshot 2022-04-28 110644.png

Based on the symbols at the start of the file, orange.dat is a gamedata file.
No idea for what mod though.

Mods aren't always named like the thing they add, you know?
Having orange.dat doesn't mean you MUST have orange.wad.

Level packs could force the usage of a particular gamedata name, for example.
SRB2 doesn't make a gamedata named srb2.dat, as a more egregious example :knuxsmug:

Well, it always happens to me

The only difference is that the code is stupidly short
Post automatically merged:

Just today i got a reply from @D00D64

telling me that if I'm worried about this, I can go here and make this, BUT he actually responded an old question that he "didn't" know how to answer

WTH?

Im not even sure if thats a data FILE...

Not sure why you're posting here if your game is running correctly. Generating DAT files is pretty normal if you're using mods that have their own saved games; if you don't want them, then delete them.

Uh, yeah I cant edit it for some reason, but I don't have any mods related to this, I did play uldc 2022 and blast mania, But no I don't have any related mods

I found Out when I was gonna change a model for Xtreme Sonic, Then,
OH GOD NO IT'S ANOTER ONE

Plus i never made a save file for any stage mods, i just play in "No Save"

Edit:

"The Screenshot"
WTF.png

The previous thread was locked, that's why you couldn't edit it. Not like you have to when you can just make a new post on your thread.
Besides, you don't need to be making one thread after the other for the same topic. Just stick to one thread.

There must be a mod that is making these gamedata files. IF you aren't renaming them yourself, that is.
If you don't like having these files on your computer, then delete them and call it a day.
We aren't psychics around here, so we can't magically know if any of the mods you have (the which we don't know) causes those to appear.

Selecting "No Save" only prevents the game from creating a save slot for that run - It doesn't prevent the game from creating gamedata.

Yeah
The previous thread was locked, that's why you couldn't edit it. Not like you have to when you can just make a new post on your thread.
Besides, you don't need to be making one thread after the other for the same topic. Just stick to one thread.

There must be a mod that is making these gamedata files. IF you aren't renaming them yourself, that is.
If you don't like having these files on your computer, then delete them and call it a day.
We aren't psychics around here, so we can't magically know if any of the mods you have (the which we don't know) causes those to appear.

Selecting "No Save" only prevents the game from creating a save slot for that run - It doesn't prevent the game from creating gamedata.
but I wanted to clarify it wasn't a saved game or a mod so.........

Nope, Nothing To do with this, Now I Say, It doesn't have anything to do with custom Unlockables

WAIT, SNOC?!?!? I'VE BEEN LOOKING FOR THIS MOD FOR A LONG TIME

Mods make a dat file when you run them. If they make one, it's to keep track of stuff like unlockables and save files.

Mods make a dat file when you run them. If they make one, it's to keep track of stuff like unlockables and save files.
I SAID, I DONT HAVE ANY MODS RELATED TO THIS 2 TIMES OK???
PLUS, IN ANY OF THE STAGE MODS I'VE EVER PLAYED, I NEVER MADE A SAVE FILE OR GOT AN UNLOCKACBLE

I NEVER MADE A SAVE FILE OR GOT AN UNLOCKACBLE
Chill with the caps.

You don't need to create a savefile or get an unlockable for gamedata to be created.
Visiting a level, or having any playtime at all by entering any map (e.g. starting a new game in no save mode then quickly exiting), is enough for the game to be prompted to create/update gamedata. Without using cheats, of course.

Chill with the caps.

You don't need to create a savefile or get an unlockable for gamedata to be created.
Visiting a level, or having any playtime at all by entering any map (e.g. starting a new game in no save mode then quickly exiting), is enough for the game to be prompted to create/update gamedata.
No, But I always go on multiplayer

I SAID, I DONT HAVE ANY MODS RELATED TO THIS 2 TIMES OK???
PLUS, IN ANY OF THE STAGE MODS I'VE EVER PLAYED, I NEVER MADE A SAVE FILE OR GOT AN UNLOCKACBLE
You don't need to make a save. That dat file is how a mod can have separate saves from the main game. If you ever noticed when starting a new mod that does create a dat file that you have no saves with it, that's because the mod created a dat file.

now, what was the last mod you played before you noticed that dat file?

Edit: I just ran a test with a random mod, any mod that creates a dat file will create one even if you don't start a save.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back