Nintendo 3DS Topic

Status
Not open for further replies.
Technically, the 3DS doesn't count as a new DS. It's a completely new system. (new generation would be the right term?)

DS/Lite/DSi are pretty much the same, especially the DS and DS Lite. I only got the Lite because my DS Phat broke, and I only got the DSi because my Lite broke. I'm getting the 3DS because it's completely different, however. My DSi is still in good condition~ :D

I wish they kept the DS Phat's design though. That was so comfortable.

Does anyone else think it would be nice if they released that Zelda ocarina 3DS's updated graphics and such on the wii's VC Ocarina? Or I guess then it would be Wiiware... I just think that those better non-pointy models would look great on a big screen, and after the 3DS release of it has reached it's peak and made money, they should release the Wii one. I mean, Ocarina is such a great game, but it sucks that you can only play the better version of it on the 3DS.

The 3DS is more powerful than the Wii, and I fail to see how the port would fit the Wii system. We already have Ocarina on wii, if a new, better one came out, it'd be unfair on the people who baught the old one.

It could be like 1/2 off if you already have the N64 VC one. And even though the 3DS is more powerful, doesn't mean that every game is super large and up to the system's standerds. I know Zelda Ocarina remake Wii is most likely NOT going to happen, just a cool thought.

It could be like 1/2 off if you already have the N64 VC one.

Nintendo would never do this. Ever.

Honestly, I think their online services (whether it be online play or software downloads) are such a huge trainwreck that they should seriously consider a sweeping overhaul. At least they decided to get rid of per-game Friend Codes.

As for 3DS game titles... the selection at launch is weak. Very weak. Even the selection coming shortly after launch is looking pretty weak. All I can say is that the upcoming Paper Mario game better be good.

Honestly, I think their online services (whether it be online play or software downloads) are such a huge trainwreck that they should seriously consider a sweeping overhaul. At least they decided to get rid of per-game Friend Codes.

To quote a very wise, very intelligent individual:

Cue said:
Nintendo do not know how to do online services, or operating systems for that matter, the lack of title updates and the lack of good online play is an example of this, while every other console sits around with the network stack being handled by the OS and you being online constantly (making it very easy to see who's online to play with) you're stuck having to use other forms of communication to get anywhere with the Wii.

The 3DS is more powerful than the Wii
It's not, actually. Its polygon count is noticeably worse than the Wii's. What it does have over the Wii is shaders, making the games look more like PS3/360 games, so combined with a fairly low resolution, it masks the low polycount surprisingly well. Effectively, though, the 3DS is about as powerful as (if not slightly more powerful than) the PS2.

Nintendo would never do this. Ever.

As for 3DS game titles... the selection at launch is weak. Very weak. Even the selection coming shortly after launch is looking pretty weak. All I can say is that the upcoming Paper Mario game better be good.
Are you going to get Megaman 3DS?
It's not, actually. Its polygon count is noticeably worse than the Wii's.
Was the maximum polycount confirmed? Or is this speculation based on screenshots?

Question: Anyone knows how much will a 3DS game cost? I'm guessing about 42$, something bewteen Wii and the DS...
Also, anyone knows when is the Rayman 3DS coming out?... I'll check on Google/Wiki actually, if I can find something. Answering would still be nice.

Question: Anyone knows how much will a 3DS game cost? I'm guessing about 42$, something bewteen Wii and the DS...
Also, anyone knows when is the Rayman 3DS coming out?... I'll check on Google/Wiki actually, if I can find something. Answering would still be nice.
$40, and launch.

Just going to throw out there that the 3DS's polygon count is worse than the PSP. Polygon count isn't the sole barometer of power, you know...
Again, where are you getting these details? Someone else pointed out saying "Wasn't that a rumor that was spouted months ago?" on a different forum.

It's not, actually. Its polygon count is noticeably worse than the Wii's. What it does have over the Wii is shaders, making the games look more like PS3/360 games, so combined with a fairly low resolution, it masks the low polycount surprisingly well. Effectively, though, the 3DS is about as powerful as (if not slightly more powerful than) the PS2.

It has about 30 - 40 million triangle per second, compared to the Wii's about 60 or so, so it's still fairly damned impressive considering it's a handheld system. It has a 400 MHz processor which is pretty decent. But as for a worse resolution, it's most likely a problem with screenshots, as handheld screenshots rarely give an accurate quality measurement for the system considering that they usually skew it a bit.

So I played one of these at Best Buy. Much smaller than I was expecting. The face buttons are teensy, but satisfyingly clicky. The DPad is similarly clicky, deceptively so (I was expecting something more like the Wii remote or Classic Controller). Circle Pad is very nice to use, much better than the PSP's (which I honestly felt like I was losing my grip on from time to time - not so with this one). Overall, it's well-built.

But most people aren't interested in the controls, but rather the titular gimmick. Well, the screen is a lot like those supposedly "3D" postcards you get with the kinda fuzzy texture (you can run your fingernails across it and get a sort of record-scratching sound - yeah, those ones), except with this one I actually get the 3D sensation from it (whereas I rarely do from those). It's kind of subtle, but then 3D in real life is rather subtle as well - regardless, it's probably because the game I was playing (Pilotwings, that being the demo in every Best Buy apparently) doesn't have all that much depth to its visuals (something I don't expect to hold true for every title). It's totally 3D, though, which is pretty cool - I guess I'm just so used to traditional 2D games that it didn't impact me all that much, even though I much preferred playing with it on than playing with it off.

Either way, it was cool to see it in person. I haven't gotten a "whoa that's a new console" experience in nearly five years, so it was awesome to have it again.

I've got to get the 3ds. My Dsi broke. sounds out, and the top screen is off one of the hinges. Can't believe it still works though

Heh, I might go to Best Buy soon to pickupamacosxsnowleopardupgradedisctohaxxmypc AKA nothing important, and while I'm there I'll be sure to mess around with one of these. Sounds very promising.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 2, Members: 0, Guests: 2)

Back